Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Show me your WHEELS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 01:17 PM
JeffS
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xizor
Do you think 99% of red hatchback owners have $$ to spend on a real set? They also have fake Mungen knockoffs etc.

Its the same how Prodrive is associated with Subaru, Hamann BMW, its Spoon and Honda, what's so hard to get
I don't know, you tell me. The original question was... aren't these spoon copies. Everyone said yes and I was countering that no, they can't be spoon copies since Spoon didn't design or manufacture them. Technically, they would be Regamaster copies. Who spoon makes parts for is irrelevant.

If, for some reason, you still don't understand that I actually know what I'm talking about, and am not talking out of my ***, feel free to continue to make pointless comments. Do it via PM though. This is supposed to be a thread for wheel pictures, not useless tuning trivia.

Old 09-29-2005, 03:24 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
Since you guys insist on derailing the thread, the least you could do is get your facts straight. The Desmond Regamaster wheel predates the Spoon SW-388. As you probably know, The SW-388 is made by Desmond and is an exact replica of the regamaster, only in black. My point is, that your argument that it's a "honda wheel" because Spoon sells one version is a flawed argument. It's a "honda wheel" because half the red hatchbacks rolling around out there seem to have a set of black rota slipstreams on them.

Personally, I hate the style. I've hated the style since before Rota created their knockoff. That said, it's a very durable design. There have been numerous problems with thin-spoke cast wheels in high-stress situations (on-track) - an example being the Circuit8/Helium, but I've never heard or seen any problems with the slipstream.
How dare i be a little misinformed about the history of a wheel developed by a company that focuses on a car that i have never owned...i should really be ashamed

The fact of the matter is, someone asked if it was spoon.....people said yes, its a replica. I explained what spoon was....because other people thought the honda comment was an insult.

You seem to be having a bad day today....hope things get better

Old 09-29-2005, 05:18 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like this thread when it stays on track. Please help me keep it there.

Alex

Old 09-29-2005, 06:27 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Time for my replica behind to add some more fuel to the fire

My Street Wheels:

Yup, Rota Grids in Full Royal Sports Bronze 16x7 40mm wearing Hankook RS-2's 225/45/16's.

Yes they're Volk ripoff's but i like them because of the way they look not because their Volk ripoff's.

Best part is that their inexpensive and lightweight

Old 09-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whoa....those look great. I love the look of bronze on PW. I think its a great combo

What is their weight? This thread makes me want to go buy like 6 sets of wheels and just change them every day

Old 09-29-2005, 08:37 PM
chefdog96
2nd Gear
hey Thameth what kinda drop do you have?

Old 09-29-2005, 09:31 PM
si_power
2nd Gear
i'm sorry that i asked the "is it a spoon wheel question". I didn't mean to insult anyone, sorry if it turned out that way. It's just i used to have a honda and spoon was my dreamed wheel. Anyways, let me show my hartge union jack 18" on my mini.

Attached Thumbnails Show me your WHEELS!-beausmini.jpg  
Old 09-29-2005, 09:41 PM
zrwon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack
I like this thread when it stays on track. Please help me keep it there.

Alex
Alex, I live in Canada and bought my F1 GS-D3 from you guys, amazing service, I have 6 cars and will buy from you again, with the new exchange rate, I can finally save money buying from the US.

Now do you think GoodYear will ever make them in 335/35-17 or will I have to stay with Michelin Pilot Sport?

Thanks for the excellent service.

Old 09-29-2005, 09:44 PM
si_power
2nd Gear
Thameth, nice combo you have, i'm considering changing my wheels to that color too, makes me really want to change to those 17" volks SE 37

Attached Thumbnails Show me your WHEELS!-se37.jpg  
Old 09-29-2005, 10:10 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by morknmini
Here is one wheel and tire on my MCSa.
I wonder why my photos are always so small. Oh well.
After seeing Thameth's photos I DO wonder why my pictures are always so small. My larger photos kept getting rejected. Sigh.

Wheelwise I prefer the warm look of Thameth's bronze color wheels. When I asked for bronze color wheels at the shop the guy recommended black because my PW car has a black roof. He insisted, with his 20 years of experience selling wheels, that bronze would not work. Black looks okay, but industrial.

I hope there's not a next time when I buy new wheels (I bet 99% of cars go through their entire beeping lives with the original set of wheels) but if I do then I will insist on bronze.

Oops. No picture now. Or has it gotten so small it is invisible? I goofed.

Last edited by morknmini; 09-29-2005 at 10:12 PM. Reason: no picture?
Old 09-30-2005, 05:53 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
Whoa....those look great. I love the look of bronze on PW. I think its a great combo

What is their weight? This thread makes me want to go buy like 6 sets of wheels and just change them every day
16" 14.5lbs for the Grids and 16" 13.5lbs for the Slipstreams.

People in my neigborhood think i'm crazy because they almost always see my outside changing wheels. But its only once or twice a month for autocrosses.

Old 09-30-2005, 05:58 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by chefdog96
hey Thameth what kinda drop do you have?
H&R springs which if i remember correctly are 1.25??? I've had them since my 04 MCS. But as you can probably see though since i have Kmac camber plates the front almost didn't drop at all but its kind of hard to notice especially while driving. Also i think i'll take it since i am no longer camber challenged!

Old 09-30-2005, 06:01 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by si_power
Thameth, nice combo you have, i'm considering changing my wheels to that color too, makes me really want to change to those 17" volks SE 37
MMmmmmmmm i love the SE37's, if i could afford them i would have probably got them. Probably the only Volks i'd be willing to pay full price for

Old 09-30-2005, 06:08 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
After seeing Thameth's photos I DO wonder why my pictures are always so small. My larger photos kept getting rejected. Sigh.

Oops. No picture now. Or has it gotten so small it is invisible? I goofed.
The pictures are a bit complicated here on NAM but i have some graphics background so i edit them down to 800x600/under 100kb with PS and then uploaded them to my NAM gallery (which i just figured out) or www.imageshack.us . If you just add them using the "manage" buttons then it will just give you a little thumbnail to click on. You have to click on the link it gives you to get the full size (hopefully never bigger than 800x600) and then get the address of the image and use the add photo button
[IMG]ttp://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/images/editor/insertimage.gif[/IMG] to then put the full size photo in your post. Tada! Ohh did i forget to mention i've also been an Admin to another car Forum for about 5 years now?

Old 09-30-2005, 06:13 AM
Thameth
5th Gear

Wheelwise I prefer the warm look of Thameth's bronze color wheels. When I asked for bronze color wheels at the shop the guy recommended black because my PW car has a black roof. He insisted, with his 20 years of experience selling wheels, that bronze would not work. Black looks okay, but industrial.

I hope there's not a next time when I buy new wheels (I bet 99% of cars go through their entire beeping lives with the original set of wheels) but if I do then I will insist on bronze.
Alot of people who know nothing about cars always make fun of my dark bronze rims, they always say they look dirty or look like spare tires hahahaha

Only a few people actually get them and appreciate the look i'm going for, thanx guys!

Old 09-30-2005, 08:43 AM
cooldaddy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Thameth
Only a few people actually get them and appreciate the look i'm going for, thanx guys!
couldn't agree more, it's a special look and I'm glad few people go for it, making it that more unique. And brake dust is no issue as it only make them look better - I like dirty

Ro_Ja LT5's in Bronze

Old 09-30-2005, 09:06 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
..... yikes!!

Originally Posted by JeffS
I don't know, you tell me. The original question was... aren't these spoon copies. Everyone said yes and I was countering that no, they can't be spoon copies since Spoon didn't design or manufacture them. Technically, they would be Regamaster copies. Who spoon makes parts for is irrelevant.

If, for some reason, you still don't understand that I actually know what I'm talking about, and am not talking out of my ***, feel free to continue to make pointless comments. Do it via PM though. This is supposed to be a thread for wheel pictures, not useless tuning trivia.

Old 09-30-2005, 10:08 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cooldaddy
couldn't agree more, it's a special look and I'm glad few people go for it, making it that more unique. And brake dust is no issue as it only make them look better - I like dirty

Ro_Ja LT5's in Bronze

Freakin Sweet! Very nice!

Old 09-30-2005, 07:47 PM
FastBandit
2nd Gear
Volk Racing LE37's 17x7.5

Old 09-30-2005, 09:19 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
NiCE bonnet d0oD, whos is it? does it have the intake scoop in the bonnet cant tell!! looks like its frenched in...
Originally Posted by FastBandit
Volk Racing LE37's 17x7.5

Old 09-30-2005, 10:55 PM
k20mini
2nd Gear
sorry for the dumb question but is the bolt pattern 4x100??

Old 09-30-2005, 11:02 PM
zrwon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by k20mini
sorry for the dumb question but is the bolt pattern 4x100??
Yes

Old 09-30-2005, 11:06 PM
zrwon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cooldaddy

Ro_Ja LT5's in Bronze
LT5 is the designation code for the engine in my ZR1

Old 09-30-2005, 11:30 PM
Scott Miller
1st Gear
and I was thinking that I liked "nomonstersinme's" wheels the best; a deep dish minilight style wheel...then I realized that is a classic mini

Old 09-30-2005, 11:58 PM
zrwon
4th Gear
My First choice wheel

Name:  FikseMini.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  66.0 KB

If money was no object, this is the most beautiful wheel money can buy for a Mini and if my wife ever decide to buy her own Mini, I'll give her my wheels and buy these one.
They are Fikse FM/10, I have the FM/5's on my ZR1 but for the Mini, this is to me the ultimate but they are above the $600 mark a piece.
Still less than half the price of my FM/5, 7 years ago.

Here's a pic of my FM/5

Name:  Als95.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  44.5 KB

Quick Reply: Show me your WHEELS!