Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Show me your WHEELS!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 05:28 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ScuderiaMini
right on , that is big dawg territory, real bling stuff. More details please, lowered, correct?
Yeah, H&R springs.

Old 12-17-2005, 05:32 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by weezer2282
coilovers now? what happened to the JCW kit?

I can't believe those 19s in that pic...how much rubbing do they cause? I would be scared to drive around with those rims on the roads I drive daily. Too much bling for me.
Nope, no rubbing.

Old 12-17-2005, 05:34 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
chopped signature.
What does that mean?

Old 12-17-2005, 05:40 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Negative comment erased, my apologies to all.

Old 12-17-2005, 05:43 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by The MINITOR
...and I think that 16's belong on a lawn mower.
lol....

15's and 16s make sense with our car. Anything bigger and it begins to look like a sport compact car instead of a classy british sports car.

Old 12-17-2005, 05:45 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
all these haters

Old 12-17-2005, 05:49 PM
weezer2282
5th Gear
Anything bigger than 17s belongs on a full size SUV or pickup, not a MINI.It doesn't fit with the MINI image or tradition at all. The original Mini had tires that actually looked like lawnmower tires.

Old 12-17-2005, 05:55 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Anything bigger than 17s belongs on a full size SUV or pickup, not a MINI.It doesn't fit with the MINI image or tradition at all. The original Mini had tires that actually looked like lawnmower tires.
You are quite right.

a comparison (left to right 17, 16, 15 (the far right one being my car))
Keeping with the classic style.

Old 12-17-2005, 06:16 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Yeah, H&R springs.
Thats another thing to be said about bigger wheels...they give you more of a 4x4 stance. I have H&R's on a cooper (which dont get as low as an MCS with the same springs)...and my lip appears to be much closer to the ground due to the smaller wheels and tires. I remember being suprised how much the car lowered when i moved down from 17s to 15s. So that is something else to keep in mind for those who are thinking about going big dawg territory.

Old 12-17-2005, 06:20 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
RallyMini, i know you are going to run behind "half my age excuse again", but look at the pic on your sig, and tell me which one looks better? Here is the deal, to each his own, you think classic look suits better on the Mini, as well as Weezer, on the opposite side I believe the new Mini is a very contemporary car, that should benefit from all new cool stuff. Two different perspectives, both are quite right. Maybe when you and weezer grow up we can agree on more stuff

Just another thing, JBS3F is on 17" with H&R coilovers, you gotta see that before talking smack about lowering, too far from it, man, too far you are.

Old 12-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
RallyMini, i know you are going to run behind "half my age excuse again", but look at the pic on your sig, and tell me which one looks better? Here is the deal, to each his own, you think classic look suits better on the Mini, as well as Weezer, on the opposite side I believe the new Mini is a very contemporary car, that should benefit from all new cool stuff. Two different perspectives, both are quite right. Maybe when you and weezer grow up we can agree on more stuff

Just another thing, JBS3F is on 17" with H&R coilovers, you gotta see that before talking smack about lowering, too far from it, man, too far you are.
I wasnt really talking smack about lowering. If you read it again you will notice that i was just warning people that they will raise the car abit. And the best solution to that would be......yup, coilovers like the guy you mentioned. I was talking about the fact that springs (non-adjustable) may not be enough if someone decides to get bigger wheels...so they want to think about coilovers.

In terms of the pic in my sig? Of course the bigger wheels look better in that pic, but i also customized the arches to sit higher in the car. Look at any modded VW golf...they can tuck 18s into their arches without too much sticking out of the bottom. Now, look at the design of the MINI. You will notice that our wheel wells do not go up into the body as far as many cars. The effect this has is that when you go as big as 18 or 19, a large part of the wheel sticks out below the arch even if you are tucking tire up top. To me, when you are lowered enough to tuck tire up top, your skirts should be at or below the wheels bottom(much like in my pic (which is a completely cartoonerized car that i drew, the dimensions are ALL fake). So even if you go the contemperary route (which i'm all for), you should be aware that our arches really arent deep enough into the body to stylishly lower it enough, your lip will still be quite far off the ground, and your car will sit up higher.

And of course, as always, we all have our own opinions. And despite age, i dont think me and you will ever agree on style issues. You are into the import scene, and im into the euro scene. I dont think either of those is something you can grow out of really

Just wait till i add coilovers and my 15s to the MCS i have on order....you will see what i mean

Old 12-17-2005, 06:30 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RallyMINI

DAYUM! look at that sweet CR/W 05 MC there in the middle!! thats one HOT car!!!! and his owner in the SLICK starsky and hutch shirt is dead sexy too!!!

Old 12-17-2005, 06:36 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
MCS with 15s???? For daily driving???

Old 12-17-2005, 06:37 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
just a few pics as examples of what i mean

A VW with BIG wheels that are tucking just a little bit. Notice that his skirts are about as low as the bottom of the wheel. This car looks absolutely amazing like this:

Here is the MINI (looks great...congrats on the new ownership). Stylish BIG wheels and lowered enough to tuck tire as much as the car above. Notice that the skirt (even though aftermarket) doesnt sink low enough to be as low as the
wheels.

Old 12-17-2005, 06:37 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
MCS with 15s???? For daily driving???
please expand what you mean? Me and many other people have 15s on our daily drivers....

Old 12-17-2005, 06:40 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
an MCS with 15s, 205/50 tires, and coils. Doesnt have a problem driving it on the street or track. And notice...the skirts are actually low to the ground, and at the same level as the wheels.

Old 12-17-2005, 06:43 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
look I think you will need at least 16s for the street to get good performace, please keep in mind, those autocross tires on 15" wheels are different, or at least should be different. Unlike everyone says, for street driving 17 and 18s are fine as far as the looks and performance is concerned. If you are thinking of running low profile tires on 15s, now that is a suicide, just trying to understand your deal on 15s, man, does not make sense to me.

About the Vdubs, been there, done that, i agree with you, they look better with big rims.

please expand what you mean? Me and many other people have 15s on our daily drivers....

Old 12-17-2005, 06:44 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
i think it looks alright, small rims, again you are trying to impose me your thought, like i said, to each his own

an MCS with 15s, 205/50 tires, and coils. Doesnt have a problem driving it on the street or track. And notice...the skirts are actually low to the ground, and at the same level as the wheels.

Old 12-17-2005, 07:15 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
haters, cant we all just get along?

15's and 16s make sense with our car. Anything bigger and it begins to look like a sport compact car instead of a classy british sports car.
Some people like chocolate. Some people like vanilla. Some people even like Bush. Some people like big wheels, some like small. Some people like sport compact cars. Some people consider the MINI to be a sport compact car. Is it compact? Certainly. Is it sport? Yes. Some people do not think of the MINI as classy, nor a sports car. Some people have MINI's and could really care less about the "MINI image and tradition." Some people think the little wheels on classic MINI's are hilarious.

The point is, everyone obviously has their own tastes and opinions, and some people should get off their high horses and realize and accept that their opinions are not the only opinions, nor are they the "right" opinion.

Geesh people.

Old 12-17-2005, 07:20 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some people like chocolate. Some people like vanilla. ...
I like Strawberry myself.

In case you aint figured it out yet ...

All you gotta do is please yourself ...

Old 12-17-2005, 07:21 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
And on the other side, back in those days 15" were like 19" in present time, again, non-sense, Weezer, Weezer, Weezer, my dear friend

Old 12-17-2005, 07:21 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear

that is enough hi-jack, anybody wants to show some new wheels?????

Originally Posted by chows4us
I like Strawberry myself.

In case you aint figured it out yet ...

All you gotta do is please yourself ...

Old 12-17-2005, 07:47 PM
XAlfa
Banned
again you are trying to impose me your thought
All your base are belong to us.

Old 12-17-2005, 07:58 PM
XAlfa
Banned
look I think you will need at least 16s for the street to get good performace... for street driving 17 and 18s are fine as far as the looks and performance is concerned.
I'll give you "looks", but "performance"?

Old 12-17-2005, 08:32 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hahaha powned!

Originally Posted by fj0
Just wait, one day I'm gonna get you, good.

Quick Reply: Show me your WHEELS!