Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tire ignorance

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 08:08 AM
Dave_in_Va
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire ignorance

Okay, time for me to show some ignorance and ask for help....I noticed yesterday that one of my tires (OEM Pirelli Eufori Run Flat 205/45/17's) has a small tear/cut in the sidewall, and another tire has a nail in it. I haven't gotten an alarm out of my run-flat sensor, but I am worried.

Now the ignorance: Why should I go with something besides run-flat tires? My COOP is a daily driver. Back and forth to Hampton Roads. I like the way the Pirellis ride, but then again I haven't driven a MINI without run-flats.
If I do go with non-run-flats, that means I would have to do all 4 tires at once, correct?
And someone else said you have to do run flats in pairs (i.e. you can't change just one). Is that true?
I have found a guy on e-bay with two dealer removals that he says have less than 500 miles on them (run-flats) and he wants me to make an offer. I'll look at pictures, but to me that would be a cheap way out (although the time involved may not be good).

Help!!!

Old 09-28-2007, 08:12 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you might be better off going with some take-offs from a member here.
check the market place.

and if you do switch tires, it's best to switch all 4 at the same time.

if my car was a daily driver i may consider running runflats just for the
convenience, but for now, i have a 12v air compressor and some
fix-a-flat, and bb.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:30 AM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I never did get an alarm when I had a screw in the sidewall. Check the airpressure. From what I've learned lately (from forced experience) is that damage to sidewalls isn't repairable. So unfortunately the one tire isn't salvagable. However, if the nail is in the tread that tire may be repairable (if you find the right tire place). If you have enough miles on them then it might just be easier to replace them all. I'm looking at the tread on my OEM Goodyear run-flats and praying that I get at least 25,000 miles out of them (it will be close).

Old 09-28-2007, 10:54 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave_in_Va
Okay, time for me to show some ignorance and ask for help....I noticed yesterday that one of my tires (OEM Pirelli Eufori Run Flat 205/45/17's) has a small tear/cut in the sidewall, and another tire has a nail in it. I haven't gotten an alarm out of my run-flat sensor, but I am worried.

Now the ignorance: Why should I go with something besides run-flat tires? My COOP is a daily driver. Back and forth to Hampton Roads. I like the way the Pirellis ride, but then again I haven't driven a MINI without run-flats.
If I do go with non-run-flats, that means I would have to do all 4 tires at once, correct?
And someone else said you have to do run flats in pairs (i.e. you can't change just one). Is that true?
I have found a guy on e-bay with two dealer removals that he says have less than 500 miles on them (run-flats) and he wants me to make an offer. I'll look at pictures, but to me that would be a cheap way out (although the time involved may not be good).

Help!!!
You have many choices.

Replace one or two runflats (take offs from other owners is good and saves some money).

Replace only two tires with non runflats of the same size then later replace two more runflats so you get all four to match. Just keep the two runflats on the same front or rear axle don't mix them.

Or for the price of one or two runflats you can replace all four tires with a value priced non runflat.

Check out in 205/45-17 Ultra High Performance Summer tire at tirerack
General Exclaim UHP $72 380 treadwear
Kumho Ecsta SPT $99 each at tirerack (talk to Alex) 320 treadwear.

If you can try 215/45-17 and there are many more tires to choose from-
In ultra high performance All Season tires
Kumho Ecsta ASX $90 each 420 treadwear (good value)
In High Performance All Season tires
Kumho Ecsta AST $69 each 400 treadwear