Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

swapping tires 2 at a time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:58 AM
los_blankeys
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
swapping tires 2 at a time?

I've been wanting to change my Goodyear Eagle F1 GS/D3 tires. Even though they are amazing, I've moved somewhere with a bit more snow so it would be nice to have all season tires. I think the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S look good, but there's a problem.

2 of my Goodyears are practically new, thanks to some unlucky nails in sidewalls in the last year. Would it be a horrible idea to put 2 Michelins in the front and stick the Goodyears in the back? Normally I wouldn't be this cheap, but I'm a bit broke from the move and also less storage so getting a set of non-summer tires isn't possible.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:53 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by los_blankeys
I've been wanting to change my Goodyear Eagle F1 GS/D3 tires. Even though they are amazing, I've moved somewhere with a bit more snow so it would be nice to have all season tires. I think the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S look good, but there's a problem.

2 of my Goodyears are practically new, thanks to some unlucky nails in sidewalls in the last year. Would it be a horrible idea to put 2 Michelins in the front and stick the Goodyears in the back? Normally I wouldn't be this cheap, but I'm a bit broke from the move and also less storage so getting a set of non-summer tires isn't possible.
The Goodyears will not be ANY good in the snow. It's dangerous unless you drive really really slowly if it snows. Not recommended, that's why there are all season tires and snow tires.
see
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...l-seasons.html

Some owners say that summer tires can be used in very light snow and in the winter but it all depends on your area. How much snow do you get and how long does the snow stay around. If you live in the south or snow is "rare" then it might be possible to do what you suggest. Try talking to Alex@tirerack.com for some advice. But you are in DC and it snows there.

I think the idea is not a good one as the all season front tires will work ok but the summer tires in the rear will slip around and around.

There are cheap All season tires you can have mounted on all four wheels and hold the Goodyear GS-D3s in reserve for later.

What size wheels and tires do you have now? 16"?
Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S is OK but expensive and doesn't come in good sizes for 17" MINI wheels. 205/50-16 is OK. $160 each.
For 17" in 215/45-17 there are
Bridgestone Potenza G009 for $134 each
Or Yokohama AVID H4S for $96 each

Last edited by minihune; 09-29-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:10 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
not a good idea. You will spin out when cornering if you have a lot less traction in the back.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:45 AM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
If you want your car to handle like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvFhV...elated&search=

then mixing all seasons/snows with summer tires in the snow might be appropriate. Otherwise, not so much...

Old 09-30-2007, 08:25 AM
los_blankeys
2nd Gear
I've used the Goodyears in the snow and it's true, they don't hold the road at all. Just to be fair, they are the best tires i've had in dry or wet conditions.

I thought it would be a bad idea to run 2 seperate tires, but I guess it would improve my drifting

Old 09-30-2007, 06:53 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by los_blankeys
I've used the Goodyears in the snow and it's true, they don't hold the road at all. Just to be fair, they are the best tires i've had in dry or wet conditions.

I thought it would be a bad idea to run 2 seperate tires, but I guess it would improve my drifting
The Goodyears are definitely great three season tires.

You can drift like that guy in the video if you drive in circles with your handbrake on all the time. His rear tires were not moving, just sliding and his front wheels were dragging him along. Not sure why that should not be called "Dragging" or "Sliding" vs drifting.