Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Stoptech stage two brake kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:46 AM
MiniStupidfun
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stoptech stage two brake kit

I just ordered it and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of instructions to the install and tools that will be needed.

Thanks, Dan

Old 10-02-2007, 07:01 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whats in a Stage 2? I have Stoptech everything front and rear. How many Stages are there?

Old 10-02-2007, 07:05 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by UKSUV
Whats in a Stage 2? I have Stoptech everything front and rear. How many Stages are there?
http://minituner.com/products/?sfID1...&productID=370

Old 10-10-2007, 07:47 AM
MiniStupidfun
6th Gear
So can anyone point me to a thread that shows detailed instructions on changing outh the rotors, lines and pads. that would be great.

Thanks Dan

Old 10-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Darkness
5th Gear
Pads rotors

http://store.webbmotorsports.com/for...wtopic.php?t=5

Brake Bleed

http://store.webbmotorsports.com/for...topic.php?t=11

I cannot remember what I used to do the lines, but I think it was a bently manual and can't remember everything off the top of my head. Not that hard to do.

I'm still loving my Stoptech stage 2. The axxis pads squeal like a pig though if you just ease on the brakes so I brake pretty late now. Not a problem for this kit though

Old 10-10-2007, 12:11 PM
MiniStupidfun
6th Gear
thanks dark

Old 10-28-2007, 02:18 PM
garylimey
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniStupidfun
thanks dark
Did you finish your brakes yet, my kit should arrive this week and I hope to install on Saturday. If you have any good tips I would appreciate it,
thanks

Old 10-28-2007, 04:06 PM
jeffc
7th Gear
Ministupidfun got them installed but it took longer then expected but I will have him give you more details. The set screws were a pain in the a$$ on a couple of the wheels to get off and we broke 4 torx bits and gave up on one of them and drilled it out (Ministupid got a huge gash in his hand and blood all over my newly painted floor lol).

Here is a picture of the install

Last edited by jeffc; 10-28-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:12 PM
Darkness
5th Gear
Pics of the bloody hand?

Glad you got them on finally. I didn't have trouble with the torx screws, but I did manage to cross thread one of the calipers when putting the SS line in. Had to go all over the city and further to find the correct size in a bottom tap. Works fine now, though.

Enjoy the brake kit; You're gonna love it!

edit: what did you end up ordering? I got the AXXIS pads and slotted rotors

Old 10-28-2007, 04:14 PM
jeffc
7th Gear
No picture of the hand but he could have used a couple stitches it was deep.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:21 PM
garylimey
3rd Gear
Sorry to hear about his hand and your floor, I hope he heals up ok. I recently changed the front and rear rotors, so hopefully the torque screws wont be a problem. Unfortunately they got damaged at Watkins Glen at a track school, they were not up to the task hence the new brake kit. I also suffer from bloody hands when working on my car, so maybe some mechanics gloves are needed. I had a tough time with the rear pads when changing them, but I since found out about the rear brake tool which I will get this week.
Apart from the torque screws do you see any other problems I might run into.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:28 PM
jeffc
7th Gear
Here is a cheap ($29) brake tool set. Someone on nemini posted not sure if it will fit the mini rear set.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:33 PM
MiniStupidfun
6th Gear
You want to do this job with another person, It will make your life much easyer.

the only problem that i ran into was when i was bleeding the lines i almost stripped the bleader screw. DO NOT USE AN OPEN END WRENCH!! when tightening and loosening the bleeder screw use a close end wrench. Bleed the lines for awhile brake fluid is cheap, some make sure you get all of the air and old fluid out of the system. Any other question pm me. Jeff thinks im a pro at the whole MINI brake deal

oh and band aids

Old 10-28-2007, 06:37 PM
garylimey
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jeffc
Here is a cheap ($29) brake tool set. Someone on nemini posted not sure if it will fit the mini rear set.

Shoe posted it as a reply to me looking for the rear brake tool. I hope it works, I'm probably going tomorrow to get it but I will take a old pad with me to check. This kit is only $30, the aftermarket on-line mini sites sell a mini one for around $160, I wonder what the differance is?

Old 10-28-2007, 06:44 PM
MiniStupidfun
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Darkness
Pics of the bloody hand?

Glad you got them on finally. I didn't have trouble with the torx screws, but I did manage to cross thread one of the calipers when putting the SS line in. Had to go all over the city and further to find the correct size in a bottom tap. Works fine now, though.

Enjoy the brake kit; You're gonna love it!

edit: what did you end up ordering? I got the AXXIS pads and slotted rotors

same thing

Old 10-28-2007, 07:08 PM
garylimey
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniStupidfun
You want to do this job with another person, It will make your life much easyer.

the only problem that i ran into was when i was bleeding the lines i almost stripped the bleader screw. DO NOT USE AN OPEN END WRENCH!! when tightening and loosening the bleeder screw use a close end wrench. Bleed the lines for awhile brake fluid is cheap, some make sure you get all of the air and old fluid out of the system. Any other question pm me. Jeff thinks im a pro at the whole MINI brake deal

oh and band aids
Thanks for the tip on the wrench , I will make sure I bleed them really well and I'll get one of my kids to help, although my wife Heidi is the best at working the brake pedal.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:18 AM
Darkness
5th Gear
Yeah I nearly learned another hard lesson on that open end wrench deal. Caught myself before I could break anything again.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:17 AM
MiniStupidfun
6th Gear
Striping stuff suck real bad! Closed end wrench's are the only way to go.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:36 AM
PenelopeG3
4th Gear
Zeckhausen Racing in NJ is another good source of Stop Tech brakes for the Mini and other cars. The owner is a long time racer and offers excellent support.

http://zeckhausen.com/Mini/MINI_Cooper.htm

Old 11-02-2007, 09:23 PM
garylimey
3rd Gear
Yeah done , it took 2 evenings to install the front and rear stage 2 kit. They sure are big, although the rotors are no heavier than the JCW and the caliper with pads is 2 1/2lbs lighter. I'm very happy so far.
I only had one real problem, which was GP related and that was replacing the broken rear brake sensor. I had to remove half the underbody panelling and still had trouble sqeezing my hand past the side skirt to get to the connector. I'm sure there is an easier way once you know how. BTW if you want to use these brakes with GP wheels you will need 20mm wheel spacers.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:32 PM
jimz68
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffc

I used a "C-Clamp" to compress my rear pistons. Works great!

Jim

Old 11-02-2007, 10:05 PM
garylimey
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by garylimey
Shoe posted it as a reply to me looking for the rear brake tool. I hope it works, I'm probably going tomorrow to get it but I will take a old pad with me to check. This kit is only $30, the aftermarket on-line mini sites sell a mini one for around $160, I wonder what the differance is?
I brought and used the rear brake tool kit. It was really easy with it and Harbour freight has it on special at the moment for just $19.99

Old 11-03-2007, 08:33 AM
garylimey
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by garylimey
Yeah done , it took 2 evenings to install the front and rear stage 2 kit. They sure are big, although the rotors are no heavier than the JCW and the caliper with pads is 2 1/2lbs lighter. I'm very happy so far.
I only had one real problem, which was GP related and that was replacing the broken rear brake sensor. I had to remove half the underbody panelling and still had trouble sqeezing my hand past the side skirt to get to the connector. I'm sure there is an easier way once you know how. BTW if you want to use these brakes with GP wheels you will need 20mm wheel spacers.
Due to the need for 20mm wheel spacers I will only be using my GP wheels on special occassions, not for regular street driving or track. Thanks Don for the help, I appreciate it.

Last edited by garylimey; 11-03-2007 at 08:37 AM.