Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Snow tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Klasse Act
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow tire questions

First off let me say this, I don't have the desire to SEARCH this, sorry Now, I'm starting to check out snow tires for my ride, but wanna hear from those who've really driven in some snow and what they really like (this is why I didn't search either ) Upon checking out tirerack the Blizzak WS-50, which is being closed out and going for $114.00 per seems like the best choice as its got a government rating for being a quality snow tire, whatever that may or may not mean I don't know, but when I look at that tread pattern, well, its gotta kick *** in the snow. I live in SE Michigan and even though we don't get the snow like we used to, I'm not taking any chances. Now I see there's a Blizzak LM-25 and even though its a perf snow tire and I really like that my question is this, would the WS-50 be better in the snow as its a pure snow tire with that rating or is the LM-25, being a perf snow tire, trading off some snow ability for perf capabilty I don't mind giving up perf, afterall, its winter and I can just look forward that much more to putting on my spring/summer shoes!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate this and will heed your input

Old 10-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out the Nokian tires, especially the WR as a serious snow rated all season tire. Or, the Hakkapeliitta dedicated snow tires. If they can't make a sensational snow tire in Finland then where?

See them here; http://www.nokiantires.com/en/winter_passenger.aspx

I have been driving on some Hakka 2s for the past two winters and consider them to be the best snow tire I have ever used. It turns my MCS into a "go anywhere" winter fun vehicle.

If you are serious about winter tires I would recommend getting a set of steel wheels to mount them on making it easy to change them in the fall and spring.

Good luck.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:30 PM
jrammon
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I put a set of Blizzak LM-25 on my MCS. There may be a slight difference in snow/ice performance between the WS-50 and LM-25. I don't know if it would be very noticable for most drivers and conditions. You might email the Mini guru at Tirerack (alex@tirerack.com) with your question. He has several posts stickied to the top of the tires section of this forum. Good luck and happy motoring!

Last edited by jrammon; 10-04-2007 at 07:32 PM. Reason: + email
Old 10-05-2007, 03:48 AM
Klasse Act
4th Gear
Thanks for the info Bilbo, those Hakka's look like the ticket to me as I want something that has more emphasis on going through the snow rather than what it can do on dry roads, I mean afterall, this is a MINI and I'm not going to push the car that hard in the winter time anyways.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:54 AM
freez3
4th Gear
Location: United States of America, Ohio, Stark County, Uniontown
I have a set of Blizzaks and they work great. No problem in the worst snowfall last winter (close to a foot of snow), I was passing everyone that couldn't get going.
I'd recommend picking up a set of MINI wheels for your snow tires. There are some great buys here on NAM or on e-bay. I started with steelies and hated the look and constant replacing the plastic hubcaps.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:17 AM
geowit
3rd Gear
I mounted a set of Hankook Ice Bears on my 16" v-spokes and this is the 4th season for them. Just ordered a set of the same to replace them. I've got 106k on my MINI and drive it almost every day. I also went on the Tour de Nord in Feb '06 when about a dozen MINIs went to Newfoundland. Drove through Gros Morne National Park in near white out conditions and had no trouble keeping up with a WRX leading the way back to the ferry. The Ice Bears are a Blizzak knock off but I've been very happy with them and the price is less than most of the name brands.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been through 2 sets of Blizzak WS50's. They are a fine snow tire. Now we are using Hakka 2's. I like the Hakka's better, but the Blizzak is also very good.

I just bought some Blizzak Revo 1's from Alex at Tire Rack for $57 each in a MINI friendly size of 185/65/15. A screaming deal, if you ask me. They will see duty on my sons Civic.

**** Here's a big attaboy to Alex. Ordered those tires yesterday at 5:30 eastern time. Today at 4:00 I go get the mail & my tires are on the front porch. What great service!!! Thanks Alex.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:45 PM
intercoolest
4th Gear
Klasse Act:

In Jan. & Feb. each winter in Georgetown, CO. there are Ice Races. The Bizzaks always win the bare rubber races that are held on Sundays. Only weakness, they wear the fastest too.

Saturday AM races are studded tractor tires, Saturday PM races are Sharpened 2 inch long bolts in tires. Georgetown races have been filmed by the Travel Channel & can be seen at www.ourgangiceracing.com

Old 10-06-2007, 10:39 AM
Klasse Act
4th Gear
Thanks for all the info so far guys, I'm reading everything. I have my stock crown spokes for the winter, so I'll be going through the winter in style, I love the crown spokes...ALOT! I spoke to my guy at Discount Tire and he said the Hakka's are hard to get, but I'm going to push on him for those, but if I can't get them for whatever reason, the Blizzaks are my second choice. I asked about the WS-50's and 60's and he told me the 60's have replaced the 50's, but I really like the tread design of the 50's compared to the 60's, am I wrong to think so

Old 10-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Locate a Hakka dealer......

http://www.nokiantires.com/en/locater.aspx

Hope that helps you.