Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Proposed wheel/tire order - opinions please?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Proposed wheel/tire order - opinions please?

Sorry to make yet another one of these threads. However, this will be my first wheel/tire order, and I have not even the slightest idea about any of these brands, so I need you guys' help. Giving some background, they'll be going on a Pepper White 2007 Cooper S with black roof/mirrors/bonnet stripes and the base suspension. I plan to road trip in my MINI quite a lot and will not be taking it on the track at all, so both noise and ride play a huge factor over anything else.

Looking at purchasing 18" Sportmax 941's in gloss black from edgeracing.com; reputable company? While I am pretty much set on the wheels (although suggestion are still more then welcome), I'm not 100% decided on size. I love the look of 18's but do you think the ride will be that punishing over 17's? Just in looking around NAM, I've read horror stories of them rubbing and 'jumping all over the place'. While others have remarked that a combination of 18's + non-RF's actually rides and handles better then stock 17's. I had the OEM 17" crown-spokes with all season run flats and while the ride was definitely firm, I didn't find it the least bit jarring nor did I think handling was lacking.

I need a set of all season tires as we get a bit of snow here, and I'm living in a college dorm so there's no way for me to keep two sets. I couldn't afford to anyway; my dealer is actually 'buying back' my OEM wheels/tires (16" S-winders on all season, run-flat tires; HATE the look) before I take delivery of my MINI. Gonna buy the tires from ER as well (all 215/35R18) and got it pretty much narrowed down between the Nexen N5000 or N7000, Toyo Proxes Fz4, and Falken Ziex Ze 512 or 912.

Right now I'm leaning most towards the 912's as I've found great reviews on them and since they replaced the 512's (which also have stellar reviews), I figure it would be kinda dumb to buy an older series for the same price. I've also found great reviews on Toyo as a brand but not much on the Fz4 in particular. It seems everyone has the Proxes 4, which I'd love to go for, but they're out of my price range. Finally, with Nexen I haven't been able to find much on the brand nor the series.

Links:
Wheels - http://www.edgeracing.com/2007/Mini/..._S/wheel/4968/
Nexen N5000 - http://www.edgeracing.com/tire/5101/
Nexen N7000 - http://www.edgeracing.com/tire/5227/
Toyo Proxes Fz4 - http://www.edgeracing.com/tire/513/
Falken Ziex Ze 512 - http://www.edgeracing.com/tire/783/
Falken Ziex Ze 912 - http://www.edgeracing.com/tire/5572/

Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited by Msteadman; 10-06-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:59 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts
You have a 2007 MCS. First thing is to confirm with Edgeracing.com that your selected wheels Sport Max 941 in gloss black will fit the bolt size of the new MINI (14mm) compared to the older R53 MCS (12mm bolt). If they don't know be careful to confirm the fitment before purchase. Find another MINI owner that has the same wheels on their 2007 R56.

You have stock suspension and plan to use the Sport Max 941 in
18x7.5 4x100 bolt pattern +42mm offset 23.5 lbs. Ask about centering rings and what size they are or what size to get. MINI hub bore is 56.1mm.
If the vendor doesn't supply the rings then you can purchase them at 1010tires.com.
http://www.1010tires.com/hubrings.asp

and you need tires to fit for general street use and four season weather.
In 215/35-18
Falken Ziex Ze-912 for $94 will fit and not rub and likely be a good overall choice. Nexen is not as well known as Falken. 912 is a new tire with so far good reviews from owners. And 30 Day ride guarantee!

As far as other wheels are concerned. Using the 941 as example
17x7" 40 offset $119 each ($10 more than the 18") est weight 21 lbs each

And using the Falken 912 in
205/45-17 $82 each 22,1 lbs 24.6" tire diameter
215/45-17 $68 each! 23.4 lbs 24.8" tire diameter

Both tire sizes will fit with no rubbing. The price for the 215/45-17 is attractive and likely you will not get better value than that.

The Falken 912 is a comfortable street tire and while the 35 series looks nicer the 45 series will likely ride better. The 205/45-17 would cut through snow a little better and weighs less but costs more and doesn't look as wide. If you have bad roads then the 45 series tire makes much more sense.

For appearance the 18" wheel combo may appeal.
For daily driving and street comfort the 17" combo is worth a look.

Note that 24.8" is taller than stock by 0.4" and is going to affect the speedo and odometer about 3%. I run a tire that is 24.7" for daily driving and I find it fine.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
You have a 2007 MCS. First thing is to confirm with Edgeracing.com that your selected wheels Sport Max 941 in gloss black will fit the bolt size of the new MINI (14mm) compared to the older R53 MCS (12mm bolt). If they don't know be careful to confirm the fitment before purchase. Find another MINI owner that has the same wheels on their 2007 R56.

You have stock suspension and plan to use the Sport Max 941 in
18x7.5 4x100 bolt pattern +42mm offset 23.5 lbs. Ask about centering rings and what size they are or what size to get. MINI hub bore is 56.1mm.
If the vendor doesn't supply the rings then you can purchase them at 1010tires.com.
http://www.1010tires.com/hubrings.asp

and you need tires to fit for general street use and four season weather.
In 215/35-18
Falken Ziex Ze-912 for $94 will fit and not rub and likely be a good overall choice. Nexen is not as well known as Falken. 912 is a new tire with so far good reviews from owners. And 30 Day ride guarantee!

As far as other wheels are concerned. Using the 941 as example
17x7" 40 offset $119 each ($10 more than the 18") est weight 21 lbs each

And using the Falken 912 in
205/45-17 $82 each 22,1 lbs 24.6" tire diameter
215/45-17 $68 each! 23.4 lbs 24.8" tire diameter

Both tire sizes will fit with no rubbing. The price for the 215/45-17 is attractive and likely you will not get better value than that.

The Falken 912 is a comfortable street tire and while the 35 series looks nicer the 45 series will likely ride better. The 205/45-17 would cut through snow a little better and weighs less but costs more and doesn't look as wide. If you have bad roads then the 45 series tire makes much more sense.

For appearance the 18" wheel combo may appeal.
For daily driving and street comfort the 17" combo is worth a look.

Note that 24.8" is taller than stock by 0.4" and is going to affect the speedo and odometer about 3%. I run a tire that is 24.7" for daily driving and I find it fine.
Thank you so much for that very thorough response!

I sent an email to edgeracing.com about both the bolt size and centering rings so hopefully I'll hear from them tomorrow. Speaking of which, do you know anything about them? Just want to ensure I'm buying from a reputable vendor.

So Falken Ziex Ze-912 it is! Now I just have to decided on 17" or 18". You've confused me more now then ever as I was pretty much set on 18's. Just kidding - but do you think the combination of 17" wheels and 45 sidewall tires will make for an APPRECIABLE difference in ride? And what about handling?

I didn't realize 215/45 tires even fit 17x7" rims, as when I click on 'tire and wheel bundle' all that comes up is 205/45. The fact that they are in fact compatible make getting a 17" wheel all the more attractive. I really like the look of a wider tire but thought I could only get it with 18's. I won't be driving through too much snow, so if I do go for the 17's I'll be sure to get the 215/45 tires; especially for that price.

The roads in my immediate area aren't bad, but again I plan to road trip a lot so I'll need a wheel/tire that performs well on various road surfaces. I guess I'll just have to decide how much I'm willing to sacrifice purely for aesthetics. After all looks aren't everything right? Especially if the 18's will reap no handling improvements...

Thanks again!

Last edited by Msteadman; 10-07-2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Okay chalk yet another one up for the 17's - should I take this as a sign!?! In checking ER, the 17" Sportmax 941's are the same price whether you get them in gunmetal or gloss black. I actually prefer gun metal but with the 18's you're charged a $100 premium for them over gloss black.
Thoughts? Again, this is going on a Pepper White MINI with black roof/mirrors/ bonnet stripes (which is why I was originally set on going for gloss black wheels). But God, gunmetal is gorgeous!

Last edited by Msteadman; 10-07-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:56 PM
irishpunk
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice Choice

Nice taste in color - I am waiting for an identically colored "S" with sport suspension,

and am thinking about a similar looking wheel, Konig Feather, so like your choice: http://buywheelstoday.com/products/F...28Black%29.bwt or http://www.altaminiperformance.com/p...R-WHEEL-16-17-

probably purchased from Altamini as they specialize (thank you minihume - I will check rings and studs):

15" for winter 205/55R15 (or 16" with 195/55R16 winters)

and

16' for summer 225/45R16

Has anyone run these wheels, or does anyone foresee any fitment problems with these tires and wheel offsets?

Alex from Alta said the 15" was a TIGHT fit - I am assuming with the "S" brakes and not the suspension.

König – Feather 16 x 7 15.2 lbs. ET40 Offset

König – Feather 15 x 6.5 11.9 lbs. ET38 Offset

König – Feather 17 x 7 16.8 lbs. ET40 Offset

thanks, tim

Last edited by irishpunk; 10-07-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:10 PM
irishpunk
3rd Gear
$

msteadman - forgot to ask - how much did your dealer give you for your wheel/tires (I ordered the same)?

thanks,

tim

Old 10-07-2007, 04:33 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
I guess this is the best way to respond to the question of color and size.

I love the look of my 18's and they ride every bit as good as the S lites and runflats the car came with. I also like black wheels on a PW Mini although these are a satin black and not a gloss.

Just for the heck of it, here's a shot of my other wheels which are 16's in a gloss black (my fav's for ride and all around performance).

Old 10-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by irishpunk
Nice taste in color - I am waiting for an identically colored "S" with sport suspension,

and am thinking about a similar looking wheel, Konig Feather, so like your choice: http://buywheelstoday.com/products/F...28Black%29.bwt or http://www.altaminiperformance.com/p...R-WHEEL-16-17-
Yea it's quite the stunning combination. It's funny because it's not something I would have considered before, but I'm buying off the lot and my MA gave me an AMAZING offer on it. Plus in looking at pics I just love the contrast between the light and dark, which is why I want to go with dark wheels as well. Nice wheels that you have picked out. Amazing weight and I've heard only good things about Konig. Also ALTA MINI is amazing - I'm going with them for a couple mods I want to do under the hood. When's your MINI estimated to arrive?

msteadman - forgot to ask - how much did your dealer give you for your wheel/tires (I ordered the same)?

thanks,

tim
He's actually getting back to me tomorrow morning on that one. It has to be authorized through his sales manager who wasn't in when we talked on Friday. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out with that. I hate those factory wheels but at the same time do not have the space nor money to keep two sets.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pauliekeys
I guess this is the best way to respond to the question of color and size.

I love the look of my 18's and they ride every bit as good as the S lites and runflats the car came with. I also like black wheels on a PW Mini although these are a satin black and not a gloss.

Just for the heck of it, here's a shot of my other wheels which are 16's in a gloss black (my fav's for ride and all around performance).
Beautiful! Yep that definitely confirmed it, I'm going with black 18's. Especially hearing that they ride just as well as the factory wheels, plus I'm sure handle better, it's sealed. If I may ask a couple questions... What wheels are those in the top two pictures (the 18's) and how much did you lower your MINI? I'd never heard of satin black wheels but those are amazing!

Last edited by Msteadman; 10-07-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:11 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
The wheels are Enkie J10's and I bought them at Discount tire. They come in a silver and satin black. It's sort of a mat black by defenition. Not too shinny, not flat black. When I bought them I brought my bathroom scale to weight them before buying them. They weigh'd in at 20lbs. I knew when I first saw one of these wheels on the wall at the store that I wanted them. I had them mount one tire on a rim and test fit it before I bought them and that was it. I had to have them. In those two pictures the car is sitting on H-sport springs (1 inch drop). I presently run on M7 springs (1.3 inch drop) which the third picture shows. Here's one more pick that I took last year so that you can see the lip a little better and give me one more chance to post a pic of BOO and happens to be the shot NAM used for one of the aviators quite a few PW owners use.

This is how BOO looks today with a bit of the o'l black and white treatment here and there.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pauliekeys
The wheels are Enkie J10's and I bought them at Discount tire. They come in a silver and satin black. It's sort of a mat black by defenition. Not too shinny, not flat black. When I bought them I brought my bathroom scale to weight them before buying them. They weigh'd in at 20lbs. I knew when I first saw one of these wheels on the wall at the store that I wanted them. I had them mount one tire on a rim and test fit it before I bought them and that was it. I had to have them. In those two pictures the car is sitting on H-sport springs (1 inch drop). I presently run on M7 springs (1.3 inch drop) which the third picture shows. Here's one more pick that I took last year so that you can see the lip a little better and give me one more chance to post a pic of BOO and happens to be the shot NAM used for one of the aviators quite a few PW owners use.

This is how BOO looks today with a bit of the o'l black and white treatment here and there.

Gorgeous!!! I seriously might have to check those out... I'm really digging the nice middle ground between glossy and flat black. Very good weight as well. After seeing your pics I'm all the more confident in deciding to go with PW/B. After I get my wheels installed I'll have to look into dropping my MINI as soon as the finances allow. Being a college student is rough.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:50 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

probably purchased from Altamini as they specialize (thank you minihume - I will check rings and studs):

15" for winter 205/55R15 (or 16" with 195/55R16 winters)

and

16' for summer 225/45R16

Has anyone run these wheels, or does anyone foresee any fitment problems with these tires and wheel offsets?

Alex from Alta said the 15" was a TIGHT fit - I am assuming with the "S" brakes and not the suspension.

König – Feather 16 x 7 15.2 lbs. ET40 Offset

König – Feather 15 x 6.5 11.9 lbs. ET38 Offset

König – Feather 17 x 7 16.8 lbs. ET40 Offset

thanks, tim
OK, generally better to start your own thread (rather than hijack).

15x6.5" rim +38 offset is OK clearance is near stock facing the suspension parts and tire will be about 20mm facing more outside the wheel well which sounds like alot but that's with the narrow 15x5.5 stock rim so it's OK.

205/55-15 is OK, perfect fit for that rim but winter tire selection is better in a more narrow size. For this size at tirerack.com there is only one-
Dunlop Graspic DS-2 (studless ice/snow tire) $69 22 lbs 24.1" tire diam.
Alternative sizes for those rims are-
185/65-15 $62 each 24.4" tire diameter 18 lbs
195/60-15 $66 each 24.4" tire diameter 19 lbs

If you like 185/65-15 - you have more choices in Studless Ice/Snow tires
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ireSearch=true

If you like 195/60-15 then you get a bit more to choose from-
Including Winter Performance tire-
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 $99 each 18 lbs 24.2" tire diameter

If considering 195/55-16 for winter tires then-

For 16x7 rim with +40 offset and summer tires.
Clearance is near stock facing the suspension, about 14mm more towards the outside of the wheel well. Make sure tires are stock tire diameter for best clearance. Normally 205/50-16 is a good choice for fitment.
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 in that size is $119 (on special) 280 treadwear
22 lbs 24.1 tire diameter
For a wider tire in the GS-D3
225/50-16 $140 each 25 lbs 24.9" tire diameter ( a bit tall- slight risk for rubbing- might need trimming of plastic wheel arches in the rear)
Or for more performance in the GS-D3
215/40-16 $136 each 19 lbs 22.8" tire diameter. Might work well with lowered suspension 1" drop.

215/45-16 and 225/45-16 show nothing from tirerack.com. These sizes are wider but will still fit the 16x7" rim.

For 215/45-16 (Max Performance summer tires) 23.6" tire diameter
see
http://edgeracing.com/tires/2154516/
Falken Azenis Rt-615 $89 each 200 treadwear 21.7 lbs
Hankook Ventus Rs2 Z212 $90 each 200 treadwear 20.5 lbs

For 225/45-16 (Max Performance summer tires) 23.9" tire diameter
see
http://edgeracing.com/tires/2254516/
Hankook Ventus Rs2 Z212 $93 each 200 treadwear 21.5 lbs
Toyo Proxes T1R $106 each 280 treadwear 19.8 lbs (see recent review in this forum)

For overall comfort for street use the Goodyear GS-D3 is likely better but does cost more and will tend to wear longer. Handling is strong in both wet or dry weather.

For 17x7" rim with +40 offset this will be 8mm facing towards the outside of the wheel well. No clearance problems with suspension parts but watch out for tires that are greater than stock tire diameter of about 24.4". With stock suspension should be ok but with lowered MINIs will risk rubbing a little depending on which tire (square shoulder tread blocks may rub more) and on rear negative camber (more negative gives more clearance but too much negative increases understeer).

Try 205/45-17 and see if you can find something you like.

Got more questions- start your own thread.

Last edited by minihune; 10-08-2007 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:57 PM
irishpunk
3rd Gear
Thanks!

thanks - great info - and I have "absorbed" your "hijack" feedback - sorry about that! again - appreciate your time tim