Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 09:21 AM
Archanum
Tire Question

I am looking for a replacement for my stock runflats (bald after 30k), and wondered if there were any good suggestions? These tires will go on my stock rims, and be used for colder weather driving. I plan to get new tires/rims for summer. Here are some of my needs:

- decent longevity
- good traction wet/snow/dry
- ride comfort better than runflats(not too hard to accomplish)
- cheap is good...but paying for quality is ok

Thanks for any and all input.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:42 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
After being so happy with the Falken RT-615s on my autocross wheels, I went with the Falken Ziex ZE-512 in 205/45-17 to replace the runflats on my stock wheels.

I only have about 9,000 miles on them, and no harsh winters around here, but they've done fine in the rain, and they're holding up well treadwise. The price is nice, too.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Archanum
I guess I should have put this in my post, but I forgot. My current tires are 195/55R16. I am still a little fuzzy on fit for tires, so what sizes would fit on a rim that runs that?

Old 10-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Darkness
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use 205/50/16 (speedo reads 2mph faster) and have Faulken 512s. The work great in the dry, wet, and *ok* in the snow. They were replaced by the 912s I think? They're quite affordable and you won't be disappointed.They're not really for autox and extreme dragon driving, which is why I think I only get 20-25k out of them.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:21 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Archanum
I am looking for a replacement for my stock runflats (bald after 30k), and wondered if there were any good suggestions? These tires will go on my stock rims, and be used for colder weather driving. I plan to get new tires/rims for summer. Here are some of my needs:

- decent longevity
- good traction wet/snow/dry
- ride comfort better than runflats(not too hard to accomplish)
- cheap is good...but paying for quality is ok

Thanks for any and all input.
You'll want to look at All Season non runflats in 205/50-16 since 195/55-16 is mostly a good size for Runflat tires. These will fit OK on the stock rim and fit on your MINI and work for street use.

For good street comfort and good performance with good wear and decent price consider-

Kumho Ecsta ASX (Ultra High Performance All Season tire) $75 each
420 treadwear
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=EZ3&url=/tires/tires.jsp&tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+ASX&partn um=05WR6EASX&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes& place=15
Test results
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=EZ3&url=/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=52

There are also choices in High Performance All Season tires-
Bridgestone Potenza G009 $99 460 treadwear
BF Goodrich Traction T/A V $108 440 treadwear
Fuzion HRi $61 400 treadwear
See Test results-
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=EZ3&url=/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=73

Last edited by Alex@tirerack; 10-26-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:10 PM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
i'm also (almost) in the market for new tires, 205/50-16's for me. i originally wanted yokohama parada2's but now they seem a bit too hardcore, and useless in the wet. i live in california but still would like to have some capability in the wet just in case. price is important for me as well as durability, but also want to have some fun. ecta asx sounds pretty good. how about yoko avs es100? $10 more, worth the price?

Old 10-27-2007, 09:32 PM
minihune
Originally Posted by roaduscarnivorous
i'm also (almost) in the market for new tires, 205/50-16's for me. i originally wanted yokohama parada2's but now they seem a bit too hardcore, and useless in the wet. i live in california but still would like to have some capability in the wet just in case. price is important for me as well as durability, but also want to have some fun. ecta asx sounds pretty good. how about yoko avs es100? $10 more, worth the price?
See (for 205/50-16 in Ultra High Performance tires)
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=EZ3&url=/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?width=205%2F&ratio=50&diameter=1 6&type=UHP

Yokohama AVS ES100 is $85 each and 280 treadwear
Kumho Ecsta SPT $87 each and 320 treadwear
BF Goodrich g-Force Sport $84 340 treadwear
and
General Exclaim UHP- more street comfort than handling.

In ultra High Performance All Season tires:
Kumho Ecsta ASX $75 420 treadwear (good street tire, good value)
or
Falken Ziex Ze-912 $76 each 360 treadwear

For more comfort and much longer wear-
Grand touring All Season tire:
General Altimax HP $83 each 440 treadwear (NO tests, new tire).

Last edited by Alex@tirerack; 10-29-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:56 PM
cooper99
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My local Mini friend (he's not yet a member of NAM) took me shopping today to help him pick out new tires for his stock 2005 MCS. He was basically in the same boat as you Archnum.

I did some light research the past couple days on performance minded all-season tires and narrowed it down to 4 tires. His original tire size was 195/55/16, but most performance all-season tires come in the width 205, which is just fine.

1. Goodyear Eagle F1 AS- They are one of Goodyear's newest tires with lots of technology put into development. First of all, I really like the aggressive looking tread pattern. The customer reviews from tirerack pretty much say the tire has excellent wet and dry handling, a smooth and quiet drive, and are ok for driving in light snow. My biggest worry about this tire is the treadlife, which the dealers say is 40-50k, but will probably be more like 25-30k for most people.
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=EZ3&url=/tires/tires.jsp&tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+All +Season

2. Pirrelli P-Zero M+S- This is an older tire that has been on the market for a while. It seems to be an average all-season tire across the board with nothing really to brag or complain about. It's cheaper than the GY Eagle F1's, so I kept it in mind.
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=EZ3&url=/tires/tires.jsp&tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+Nero+M% 26S

3. Continental ContiPremierContact- I looked at this tire only because Alex from Tirerack said this is his favorite all-season tire from an older tire thread on NAM. I'm not exactly sure why...The tread pattern looks boring, and the customer reviews for this tire were average to bad. Users often said this tire is noisy or gets noisy at some point in it's life. I think the best characteristics about this tire are a long tread life and a relatively low cost. It is the lowest performance all-season tire I would consider.
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=EZ3&url=/tires/tires.jsp&tireMake=Continental&place=8&fromCompare 1=yes&vehicleSearch=false&tireModel=ContiPremierCo ntact&partnum=145HR7PC

4. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S- This was the most expensive tire I've looked at. The tread pattern looks quite aggressive. It had mostly positive customer reviews with a few complaints about road noise. I guess it would have very similar performance characteristics to the cheaper GY Eagle F1 AS, but the price @ $144 a piece (205/55/16) was over my friend's intended budget.
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=EZ3&url=/tires/tires.jsp&tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+ A%2FS

He ended up purchasing the Goodyear Eagle F1 AS's at Discount Tire and got them mounted, balanced, with the lifetime hazard warranty for $709.

Last edited by Alex@tirerack; 10-29-2007 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:00 PM
minihune
Originally Posted by cooper99
My local Mini friend (he's not yet a member of NAM) took me shopping today to help him pick out new tires for his stock 2005 MCS. He was basically in the same boat as you Archnum.

I did some light research the past couple days on performance minded all-season tires and narrowed it down to 4 tires. His original tire size was 195/55/16, but most performance all-season tires come in the width 205, which is just fine.

1. Goodyear Eagle F1 AS- They are one of Goodyear's newest tires with lots of technology put into development. First of all, I really like the aggressive looking tread pattern. The customer reviews from tirerack pretty much say the tire has excellent wet and dry handling, a smooth and quiet drive, and are ok for driving in light snow. My biggest worry about this tire is the treadlife, which the dealers say is 40-50k, but will probably be more like 25-30k for most people.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+F1+All+Season

2. Pirrelli P-Zero M+S- This is an older tire that has been on the market for a while. It seems to be an average all-season tire across the board with nothing really to brag or complain about. It's cheaper than the GY Eagle F1's, so I kept it in mind.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ero+Nero+M%26S

3. Continental ContiPremierContact- I looked at this tire only because Alex from Tirerack said this is his favorite all-season tire from an older tire thread on NAM. I'm not exactly sure why...The tread pattern looks boring, and the customer reviews for this tire were average to bad. Users often said this tire is noisy or gets noisy at some point in it's life. I think the best characteristics about this tire are a long tread life and a relatively low cost. It is the lowest performance all-season tire I would consider.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....rtnum=145HR7PC

4. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S- This was the most expensive tire I've looked at. The tread pattern looks quite aggressive. It had mostly positive customer reviews with a few complaints about road noise. I guess it would have very similar performance characteristics to the cheaper GY Eagle F1 AS, but the price @ $144 a piece (205/55/16) was over my friend's intended budget.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ot+Sport+A%2FS

He ended up purchasing the Goodyear Eagle F1 AS's at Discount Tire and got them mounted, balanced, with the lifetime hazard warranty for $709.
The tires you mention are in 205/55-16 which is 24.9" and taller than stock diameter. For stock suspension it might fit and might be at risk for rubbing depending on your load and road conditions. Stock tire diameter is about 24.3". 205/50-16 is just slghtly less than stock.

Goodyear Eagle F1 AS (Ultra High Performance All Season tire) 205/55-16
$122 each 420 treadwear 24 lbs each Y speed rated

Pirelli PZero Nero M&S (UHPAS tire) W speed rated
205/50-16 $103 22 lbs
205/55-16 $106 21 lbs

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S UHPAS tire)
205/55-16 $144 each 400 treadwear 25 lbs Tall 25.2 tire diameter too large. (No good sizes in 16" or 17" for the MINI)

Continental ContiPremierContact (standard Touring All Season tire)
205/55-16 600 treadwear H speed rated (some are T speed rated) $91

Old 11-02-2007, 07:19 AM
Archanum
So a quick question to add here, if I am going to use this set mostly for winter driving (Chicagoland area) would it be better I get a winter tire? Or is a good all-season good enough?

I appreciate all the help guys.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:43 AM
Speedwing
4th Gear
Archanum,

I'd suggest you get 195/55-16 Blizaks on cheap rims for the Winter in Chicago, and 205/50-16 Kuhmo ESCTAs ASX or ASTs for the warmer weather. I recently put new Kuhmo ASTs on my MINI for less than $300. The ASTs have an agressive tread pattern and are GREAT in the rain.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:59 AM
Archanum
Originally Posted by Speedwing
Archanum,

I'd suggest you get 195/55-16 Blizaks on cheap rims for the Winter in Chicago, and 205/50-16 Kuhmo ESCTAs ASX or ASTs for the warmer weather. I recently put new Kuhmo ASTs on my MINI for less than $300. The ASTs have an agressive tread pattern and are GREAT in the rain.
So are you suggesting a cheap black painted steelie?

Old 11-02-2007, 05:18 PM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
See (for 205/50-16 in Ultra High Performance tires)
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=EZ3&url=/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?width=205%2F&ratio=50&diameter=1 6&type=UHP

Yokohama AVS ES100 is $85 each and 280 treadwear
and
General Exclaim UHP- more street comfort than handling.

In ultra High Performance All Season tires:
Kumho Ecsta ASX $75 420 treadwear (good street tire, good value)
or
Falken Ziex Ze-912 $76 each 360 treadwear

For more comfort and much longer wear-
Grand touring All Season tire:
General Altimax HP $83 each 440 treadwear (NO tests, new tire).
i guess my debate is whether i should get all season or summer tires. i live in LA and frequently travel up to san francisco, and the worst it gets there is rain. it doesn't even really get *cold* there. do i really need all-season tires? kuhmo ecsta asx are very attractive, but for $10 more i can have yoko ave es100's which are even more attractive. is there really a big different in wear b/t these two? if so, it's the kuhmo for sure. i need to order these soon; my fronts are balding. any specials at tirerack in the near future? =P

Old 11-04-2007, 02:07 AM
minihune
Originally Posted by roaduscarnivorous
i guess my debate is whether i should get all season or summer tires. i live in LA and frequently travel up to san francisco, and the worst it gets there is rain. it doesn't even really get *cold* there. do i really need all-season tires? kuhmo ecsta asx are very attractive, but for $10 more i can have yoko ave es100's which are even more attractive. is there really a big different in wear b/t these two? if so, it's the kuhmo for sure. i need to order these soon; my fronts are balding. any specials at tirerack in the near future? =P
If you need the All Season tires for longer treadwear or for four season use then those are fine such as the Kumho ASX.

If you don't need them to last as long and you have just rain sometimes then Summer tires will work. You gain on handling but loose some on treadwear.

In the same price range-
are both better handling and wearing tires than

Yokohama AVS ES100 $85 each and 280 treadwear

Old 11-04-2007, 04:39 AM
Speedwing
4th Gear
Archanum, Yes. I suggest a cheap rim for Winter salt corrosion. I've always rotated summer alloys with winter steelies on my Silverado. My winter Cooper 6 ply tires on the truck have a lot more snipes and grooves than my summer Cooper tires. My alloys still shine like new after 5 non-winters. Hendrix will not be used during winter "salt events" so his R90s will always look good. I'll be detailing the R90 wheels at each rotation, and I clean them with S-100 each wash.

Blizzaks or Hakkapeliitta 5 Nokian winter tires are my two top choices for severe winter driving....and Chicago qualifies for severe!!