Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tire shop scratch'd all of my wheels !

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 04:03 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire shop scratch'd all of my wheels !

I was out in my garage this afternoon wiping down the car when I noticed that there were circular scratch's (and gouges) in one of my wheels. I then took a look at the other three and noticed they also had damage. Just two day's ago I took my car in to have the wheels and tires rebalanced because of a slight shimmy at 70mph. I expressed to the service guy that I wanted them to take extra care as to not damage the wheels (I'm ****)and to hand tighten and torch them and to please take extra care when handling them which he wrote on the service order. Well after seeing the damage today, I drove right over the the shop and asked for the manager. The service guy told me the manager wouldn't be back until tomorrow and asked if he could help me. I took him outside and showed him the damage. I then asked him how the damage could have happened. He told me that when putting the wheel on the balancer the donut most likely did the damage and that the tech should have put them with some kind of gaurd. He told me that most likely they would have them sent out to be repainted but my worried is that the paint won't be as durable or look the same when I get them back. Has anyone else had to deal with this problem ?

Old 11-01-2007, 04:16 PM
carjoy
6th Gear
We had someone in the local club have this happen to them at a chain tire store. They bought him new wheels.... He didn't want a paint job.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:26 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
Was he out of pocket for any of the cost for the new wheels ? I too do not really want a repainted wheel. I just don't see how a repaint can be as durable as the factory paint. I'll have to wait until tomorrow for a meet with the manager but any info is good info.

Originally Posted by carjoy
We had someone in the local club have this happen to them at a chain tire store. They bought him new wheels.... He didn't want a paint job.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:26 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had the same problem with a local tire installer (Big O Tires). There were inch long scratches/dings on the lip of each wheel (all very similar marks). They said their machine does not touch the wheels and could not have caused the damage. I was positive that the installer caused the damage. The store manager would not take any responsibility and told me to go talk to my insurance company. My insurance company paid for for new wheels. The insurance agent said they would probably not pursue any action against the tire installer. I sold my slightly damaged stock wheels and brought a new set of BBS wheels.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:32 PM
carjoy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pauliekeys
Was he out of pocket for any of the cost for the new wheels ?
No out of pocket costs just the aggreviation.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:02 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
I had the same thing happen to one of my wheels at the tire installer but I didn't notice it til I was washing a week later. Moral of the story is... do a walk around wheel inspection with a shop employee when you drop the MINI off & do a post install walk-around inspection before you drive off

Old 11-01-2007, 05:21 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
The Service tech in my case explained that the damage was caused by the metal donut that they used to align the wheel on the machine. I'm still stewing over what might happen tomorrow. I don't think there will be any question as to how the damage was caused but the more I think about it, the more I feel that I don't want a repainted wheel. I don't think that I should have anything other then what I bought in the first place. The wheels had no marks on them prior to this (no curbing or scuffs). A repainted wheel could cause me headaches in the future.

Originally Posted by quikmni
I had the same problem with a local tire installer (Big O Tires). There were inch long scratches/dings on the lip of each wheel (all very similar marks). They said their machine does not touch the wheels and could not have caused the damage. I was positive that the installer caused the damage. The store manager would not take any responsibility and told me to go talk to my insurance company. My insurance company paid for for new wheels. The insurance agent said they would probably not pursue any action against the tire installer. I sold my slightly damaged stock wheels and brought a new set of BBS wheels.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Hogtied
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bamatt
Moral of the story is... do a walk around wheel inspection with a shop employee when you drop the MINI off & do a post install walk-around inspection before you drive off.
That is some very sound advice that everyone with aluminum or custom wheels should heed.

I had the same thing happen to me on my '04 Silverado. The tire shop bought me 4 new wheels. I wouldn't have settled for anything less.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:48 PM
joshK
4th Gear
There's many wheel reconditioning places that can repair the wheel with the same finish/durability as the wheel comes new. I would try for new wheels but if it gets sent to a reputable wheel re-conditioner (not just a body shop) the wheels will be fine.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear
Good information to know.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:52 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
Very good advice ! The manager did a walk around before they pulled it in. The (un) funny thing is that while I was in the waiting room I watched them work on my car and after the job was done, I talked to the installer asking him what was causing the vibration and what they did to correct it and then watched him fill each tire with air. I didn't get down and look at each wheel though which is what I should have done. I too feel that I will not be satisfied with anything less then another set of wheels. The damaged wheels will never be the same. They might be able to repaint them but I dought the paint will last . Here is a picture of one of my wheels taken last year and one I just took of one of the damaged wheels.

The damage is on all four wheels in a circle around each lug all the way around.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:53 PM
ChiliXer
4th Gear
Wonder why that happens so much. Ive used a balancer once before and it just pushed the wheels together on a tapered things a big plastic cone around it to grip the wheel. Seemed like a good system I don't know why they all cant be that way.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:54 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
america's tire (discount tire) and Firestone did the same crap on my
wheels over the years.

anyway, i searched around for local shops that had hunter equipment
below:

Mounter: TC3500
Balancer: GSP9700 RoadForce

unless the tech is totally imcompetent or watching TV or something while
doing his work, they should be able to mount and balance even 19's 20's
with no issues.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:56 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
btw, if they start pulling out crowbars like DiscountTire, run away!

Old 11-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
If it won't buff out, ask what the shop typically offers for compensation in those circumstances. If they are hesitant on buying you new wheels, tell 'em they can sell your old wheels once you get new ones THAT ARE INSTALLED WITHOUT SCRATCHES!

Old 11-01-2007, 05:57 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
I really don't know ether. I really don't know why the installer didn't take more care after the work order had all my request for taking special care when handling the wheels. I'm one of those guy's that try's to watch every thing they do when someone works on my car. They call people like me "a pest" LOL.

Originally Posted by ChiliXer
Wonder why that happens so much. Ive used a balancer once before and it just pushed the wheels together on a tapered things a big plastic cone around it to grip the wheel. Seemed like a good system I don't know why they all cant be that way.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:28 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
There won't be any buffing out on these marks. They are gouged. I don't look forward to the meeting tomorrow !

Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk
If it won't buff out, ask what the shop typically offers for compensation in those circumstances. If they are hesitant on buying you new wheels, tell 'em they can sell your old wheels once you get new ones THAT ARE INSTALLED WITHOUT SCRATCHES!

Old 11-02-2007, 10:56 AM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
Good news to report ! I went down this morning to meet with the Manager at Discount tire and after he took a look at the wheels he just said "I'll get you a new set of wheels, should be here in about a week"
That was it ! There was no arguing about sending them out to paint or anything. This was a big relief for me. I had been stressing over the situation all night. Thanks for the suggestions from all that responded with there stories.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:29 PM
carjoy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pauliekeys
Good news to report ! I went down this morning to meet with the Manager at Discount tire and after he took a look at the wheels he just said "I'll get you a new set of wheels, should be here in about a week"
That was it ! There was no arguing about sending them out to paint or anything. This was a big relief for me. I had been stressing over the situation all night. Thanks for the suggestions from all that responded with there stories.
WooHoo!!! Its always good to hear a happy ending.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
I think you should raffle off your damaged wheels to everyone who posted supportive comments in this thread.

Seriously, though, that's great news that the manager stepped up and did the right thing without making you go through a hassle. Just hope they don't scratch the new set when they arrive!

Old 11-02-2007, 01:58 PM
carjoy
6th Gear
I think you should raffle off your damaged wheels to everyone who posted supportive comments in this thread.
Now you're thinking!!!

Old 11-02-2007, 02:41 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
Oh man, don't say that ! I'll bet the manager puts his best guy on the job making sure he has his kit gloves on and surgical mask LOL.

Seriously, though, that's great news that the manager stepped up and did the right thing without making you go through a hassle. Just hope they don't scratch the new set when they arrive!

Old 11-02-2007, 02:47 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
i think they're just going to bring in new wheels, scratch them again while mounting/balancing (using your old tires) and then ask that you return
your old wheel set.

i have no faith in DiscountTires any more...not after the bs ive went
through at 2 different stores.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:52 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
HAPPY THOUGHTS, HAPPY THOUGHTS ! Believe you me, I'm going to watch them like a hawk while they work on my car. I just took them off and put my Rotas on thinking that I'm just going to take them down and have them do the switch and then take them home and scratch them myself LOL ! The only person I really trust when working on my wheels is me ! I wont comment further about Discount Tire until the new wheels are on, not scratched and Boo is home in the garage !

Originally Posted by kenchan
i think they're just going to bring in new wheels, scratch them again while mounting/balancing (using your old tires) and then ask that you return
your old wheel set.

i have no faith in DiscountTires any more...not after the bs ive went
through at 2 different stores.

Last edited by pauliekeys; 11-02-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:22 PM
irishpunk
3rd Gear
And sure enough...

My regular guys put a small scratch on one of my new Black Konig Feathers (great price from Altamini!)...

AFTER I started my visit with "These black wheels are really easy to scratch!!"

I did not mention it since they have swapped over my summer/winter wheels for my WRXs basically for free for the last 5 years (I think I paid $10 once, and did not buy my first set of tires rom them until two years ago)...and the guy patiently handtorqued all the wheels....so they are not bad guys.

still.....arghhh!

Quick Reply: Tire shop scratch'd all of my wheels !