Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Alignment ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 01:33 PM
oldtrojan66
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alignment ?

Just a quick note to my friends in NAM-land. Be careful when you have tires mounted by other than Mini people. My local shop mounted a left front backwards. I didn't know a tire could be mounted backwards, but these Goodyear run-flats have different tread on the inside and outside corners. (plus the wording on the sidewall that says "side facing outward") Duh! Anyhow, the symptom was a slight pulling, like an alignment problem. My service tech discovered the problem and did not charge me for an unneeded alignment! Dreyer & Reinbold has been very good that way. Just thought you might like to know. david

Old 11-06-2007, 02:46 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Yes, there are many tires these days.

You have to check to make sure the tires are mounted correctly if they are "directional" or meant to rotate on one side of the car only.

The two tires on the left side of the car remain on the left and are only rotated front to rear. The right tires stay on the right.

If you have standard tires (Non directional) then you can use them in any of the locations and cross rotate if you want.

If you are more advanced and want to make the best use of your expensive directional tires I have-
Flipped tires from right front to left front by dismounting the tire and putting them in the correct direction but with the former outside edges now facing the inside edges.

This would be good to get the tire to wear out more evenly and should be done far ahead of severe tread wear. You do pay for the remounting but if you have expensive tires then it actually can work well.

Don't expect your tires to wear evenly right vs left, often one side can wear a bit more.