Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Costco Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Buang
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costco Tires

I would be interested in getting comments on the following:-
I am buying new tyres for my Mini and whilst at Costco yesterday I thought I would get a price from them. Interestingly the tyre section manager tells me that if I do not want run-flats (which I do not) then I will have to buy five tyres not four! They only have two tyre options which is somewhat dissapointing. However the 5 tyre mandatory rule is a deal breaker on price!!
I asked why this policy? The reply was somewhat fuzzy but I guess it boils down to CYA for Costco. The end result is however that I doubt that they will sell many tyres based on this business practice.
Your comments are welcome.
Buang
(2004 MC-S-JCW)
S. California

Old 11-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wanted to buy tires from them but they do not allow you to use a tire size that is not exactly the same as stock.

Since I run 215/45/17 tires instead of 205/45/17, they won't let me buy tires.

I had considered taking my wheels in with MINI center caps removed and telling them they were for a Mazdaspeed Protege to get the size tires I wanted but that just seemed like a hassle.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:34 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Interesting. They have never told me that, but I have gotten several inconsistent stories on other tire-related issues. First has to do with the periodic $60 discount sales they periodically run on a set of 4. In my experience, about the time the discount starts the price goes up, then with the discount comes back down to about what it was before. Probably deceptive advertising. Next has to do with what sizes they are willing to mount; mine are 16", and I didn't want run-flats. One salesman was willing to order 205/55 or 205/50 for me, but several days later another salesman claimed that the only 16" they would sell me was a 215/50, as I recall. I have always been happy with Costco's tire department for my other cars, but I'm afraid its back to TireRack for the MINI.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:22 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
or just go in 4 times... or even twice... have then change a pair at a time. lol

dumb rule.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:49 PM
hohod
2nd Gear
Never heard of a mandatory 5 tire policy, but if it's a CYA thing, try telling them to save the best of the old tires for you to keep as your spare. Then leave the old tire in their parking lot...or keep it as your spare.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Buang
1st Gear
Just one more point of interest.
I ended up ordering on-line from Tire Rack (as suggested by JA Blazer). However the following day I get a phone call telling me that I have to call the office to get the order processed. The representative reminded me that I was ordering non run-flat tires and was I ok with that? I said I was and I mentioned Costco's policy with the 5-tire rule. He told me that this was the same thing only they seem to approach the cya thing in a slightly less heavy handed manner!!!
Yes looks like back to Tire-Rack....I'll save Costco for the groceries
Buang

Old 11-28-2007, 12:04 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
if you guys dont want to deal with that crap, just order it through
Alex over the phone. heck he ships me stuff out by just sending
him an email. 2min later boom, i get an order conf in my bb.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:38 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
In my city Americas Tire is right across the road from costco.
They will price match / sell the size you want and don't really seem to be hung up on this 4 >>> 5 deal.

The installers seem a bit more auto smart.
Using a small ramp so that nothing hangs up on the racks and actually using a T WRENCH

I do like the Beef JERKY at Costco

Old 11-30-2007, 03:21 AM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I dont have a costco in my hometown, but they seem like they have a wal*mart-quality tire department - the kind that has tire balancing as an option.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:31 AM
frank miller
1st Gear
Costco tires

I just bought 4 Michelin pilot exaltos 1 wk ago at my local Costco. They removed my old run flats and asked me if if I had a spare. I replied affirmatively and that was that.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:53 AM
misslindsey
5th Gear
I found Costco to be the most expensive option of them, Belle Tire, Discount, and TireRack. I had to call and ask if they had what I was looking for (which they did), and I didn't get any hesitation when I was looking to order 4 non runflat snows.
I ended up getting Discount to match TireRack and mount/balance for $8/ea.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:06 AM
bdmini
3rd Gear
With Costco, you'll get some guys that know their stuff and quite a few who don't and just follow "policy". Their policy is to only sell you tires that the mfgs. deem o.k. to install. If it deviates from the tire guide book or the door jamb sticker in your car, they are not to sell it. Yes, it is most definitely to cover themselves from lawsuits. Even if you o.k. them to install the five non run-flat tires on there and you trundle off down the road and have a catastrophic blowout, they can be held accountable.
Most shops out there now "guarantee the lowest price" even matching Costco, Sam's, Tire Rack etc..........Do your homework, print up comps from online sources and go into your local brick and mortar tire shop and get a sweet deal.

Later

Old 12-16-2007, 12:15 AM
bdmini
3rd Gear
Hey, COR BLMY, no more America's Tire come on over to Wheel Works on Concord Ave. we take care of Mini customers there