Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Need Advice on Winter Rims/Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 07:10 PM
mredden
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice on Winter Rims/Tires

Taking delivery of a 2007 Astro Black MCS later this week. This includes the sports package which means I am getting the 205/45/17 All Season Run Flats with the vehicle.

Since I live in Canada I plan to add a set of winter tires/steel rims. I have been running that combination for the past 15 years with my other vehicles and am a big believer in a separate set of winter rubber. Have always dealt with my local independent tire dealer since he is a client and he always stores the tire/rim combination I am not using for free.

The Mini is a different beast for a number of reasons- it uses run flats, uses a tire pressure monitoring system and from what I've heard there are no steel rims available (only alloy).

Looking for some advice on what folks would recommend for a 16" setup.

Thanks

Old 11-26-2007, 07:26 PM
royal4mac
4th Gear
I just ordered winter Dunlop r/f from Tire Rack. I read so many great things about Tire Rack, I tried them. We too have sport package with 17" summer tires. They are great handling, but tough on the kidneys. Very rough ride. Figured I'd try some 16" wheels and rubber for the winter here in New England. Wasn't cheap, but now we have 2 sets of wheels and if we like 16" we will put summer tires on them too. Spent about $1,100 with delivery, wheels, tax, balancing etc. Not too bad.
Check out the Tire Rack web site.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:20 AM
mredden
1st Gear
Winter Tire Advice

Thanks. I've heard such great things about Tire Rack but am trying to stay loyal to my local dealer.

A couple more specific questions:

Is it true there are no steel rims available for the 07 MCS model?

Is there anything I need to watch out for to ensure that the rims I buy work with the tire pressure monitoring system?

Old 11-27-2007, 12:16 PM
hardcharger
1st Gear
I'm in Canada too and picked up a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M3's (non-runflat) on 16" Rial Flair aluminium rims for $1200 (shipping/tax/duty included). $600 cheaper than the similar package from the dealer here.

You may want to check you have the TPMS system before you spend the money on rims to support them... they'll have a crazy metal cap on the valve stem the size of a dime. My car (purchased early October) didn't - so I'm not sure if they're putting TPMS on Canadian models.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Bhatch
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am running r53 5 spoke wheel with Conti Winter sport tires,got the wheels with the tires for 450$ and the tires are good for a least 2 more winters. I got my car last month and Canada 07 MINI do not have direct TPMS so they have rubber valve stems.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:30 PM
mredden
1st Gear
Originally Posted by hardcharger
I'm in Canada too and picked up a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M3's (non-runflat) on 16" Rial Flair aluminium rims for $1200 (shipping/tax/duty included). $600 cheaper than the similar package from the dealer here.

You may want to check you have the TPMS system before you spend the money on rims to support them... they'll have a crazy metal cap on the valve stem the size of a dime. My car (purchased early October) didn't - so I'm not sure if they're putting TPMS on Canadian models.
That's interesting I never considered that TPMS might not be on Canadian cars. How are you supposed to know if one of your run flat tires has no air without TPMS?

I agree the dealer prices are crazy for the winter tire package. Can do much better elsewhere. Am looking at the Yokohama Ice Guard IC20. Just picked up four for my Celica for less than $500. Rims are a bit tougher with so many choices.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:51 PM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm getting mixed messages as to the type of TPMS on the 2007 MINIs. I'm not sure if they are different than the previous gen MINIs anymore. Maybe somebody can confirm for sure?

Check with a local MINI club in your area. There are some tire dealers around that have sponsorship agreements with various organizations. In the Vancouver area, there is a tire shop that gives discounts to Vancouver MINI Cooper Club owners. I bought 15" alloys with a decent snowtire on them for $150 per wheel, mounted, balanced and installed. With taxes, that's about $650CDN. I believe the 07 will need 16" wheels but the alloys were the same price as the steelies.

Note: If you are buying aftermarket wheels, make sure you get hubrings.

With all due respect to Tirerack, I didn't want to deal with shippers, customs and then looking for somebody to mount them for me...especially since I had just undergone back surgery. If you're okay with shipping across the border and can install them yourself, I have heard good things about Tirerack and Alex has been exempliary at getting back to us on NAM with answers to queries.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:34 AM
elliott
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by beken
...I have heard good things about Tirerack and Alex has been exempliary at getting back to us on NAM with answers to queries.
Speaking of Alex, has anyone heard from him in the past few weeks? We are taking delivery of our '07 MCS hopefully this week, and the white stuff is coming down. I sent him something, and haven't heard back. I assume he is on holiday, and no problems, just anxious.

Need to decide on rims and tires, and not sure which route to go. We have a local tire place, but they just can't get close to the prices. TireRack has been great to me in the past with my Saab, but I want to see what Alex can do, and more specifically, make sure he gets the business.

Thanks.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:44 AM
R56 Ed
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by elliott
Speaking of Alex, has anyone heard from him in the past few weeks? We are taking delivery of our '07 MCS hopefully this week, and the white stuff is coming down. I sent him something, and haven't heard back. I assume he is on holiday, and no problems, just anxious.

Need to decide on rims and tires, and not sure which route to go. We have a local tire place, but they just can't get close to the prices. TireRack has been great to me in the past with my Saab, but I want to see what Alex can do, and more specifically, make sure he gets the business.

Thanks.
I spoke with Alex yesterday. Man, does he know his stuff about MINIs! I've been a loyal tire Rack customer for many years, and they've always been terrific to deal with. Great prices and selection, and their online tire surveys really help in choosing the right tire for conditions.

If your valve stems are metal, you have TPMS. The stems will probably be silver with a large flattened metal cap with knurled edges, instead of the usual black rubber ones. Or you could drop by and ask your MINI dealer