Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Tires...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:20 AM
2packt
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodyear Eagle F1 Tires...

hello mini holics...

I'm in the process of deciding to get some tires...
I was wondering if these eagle f1s are good in ride quality and minimal noise because they are my main concern...any feedbacks?

i travel on a lot of underconstruction roadways and pavements....so you know how that feels like with runflats on mini...

anyways, should i go with these tires? i also live in las vegas which is pretty much all year around summer... but realized goodyear is all season.....so should i go with this or other recommendations??? thanks a lot... this forum is so helpful.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll cast my vote for the F1 GS-D3 Goodyears. Been on them for about 3 years now. Very quiet even as they wear, fantastic dry and wet traction. A note of caution, though, is that once they have worn to about 50%, the tendency to hydroplane at speed in heavy standing water goes up considerably. Normal rain and wet pavement is not an issue, though.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:06 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my were roaring near 50% thread left. i sold them to a buddy of mine
locally with the comps. he has a race car civic scca champ.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:52 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Consumer Reports' test of high-performance tires said the F1 GSD3's were noisier than other tires in the test (I think I'm remembering that correctly).

Also, the Goodyears have a high rolling resistance, which impacts your gas mileage. I seem to have lost 1 mpg since switching to them from the OE run-flats, for instance.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:13 PM
leo@edgeracing.com
Banned
Originally Posted by 2packt
hello mini holics...

I'm in the process of deciding to get some tires...
I was wondering if these eagle f1s are good in ride quality and minimal noise because they are my main concern...any feedbacks?

i travel on a lot of underconstruction roadways and pavements....so you know how that feels like with runflats on mini...

anyways, should i go with these tires? i also live in las vegas which is pretty much all year around summer... but realized goodyear is all season.....so should i go with this or other recommendations??? thanks a lot... this forum is so helpful.
You may want to look at Falken FK452. They have good handling in wet/dry. This is the best UHP tire we carry that is comfortable and very quiet. Let me know if you have other questions.

Leo Barrios
leo@edgeracing.com
800-489-5353 x211
http://www.edgeracing.com

Old 11-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Brewmeister
3rd Gear
F1 GS-D3

Love the F1 GS-D3 Goodyears!

The run rocks and stock wheels are stored in the shed and only get installed during the winter months... I don't drive Max in the winter .

Old 11-28-2007, 02:30 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
I've loved these tires. Look up any performance tire comparison and it's always at or near the top in terms of dry and wet performance. Mine have lasted close to 30,000k now, and I've still got some to go (rotated with no winters). They are still quiet as far as I'm concerned.

mb

Old 11-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
GSD-3 is the best I have had. And I have had at least 5 or 6 other tires on the Mini. Great wet and dry handling. Also, comfortable ride with tire pressure at 33 psi.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:56 PM
hohod
2nd Gear
Everyone's talking about the GSD3 but I believe the original poster was asking about the F1 All Season.

2packt, I went through the same process you're going through now just a few months ago. After 4 years on runflats (2 MCS's), I decided finally to switch to non-runflats. Read all the threads on NAM, posted a couple of questions here, read all the Tire Rack reviews and survey results, read the Consumer Reports tests, etc. Narrowed the decision to the same two Goodyears - F1 All Season or GSD3. Picked the GSD3's because for me, the primary consideration, once I decided on 205/50/16's, was performance. I'm certain though, if I didn't put a premium on performance, I would have gone with the F1 All Season even though it's kind of an unproven new kid on the block. As others have written, Eagle F1's have been consistently decent tires over the years, so I don't think I would have been disappointed.

In Vegas temps drop below 40 degrees F in the winter regularly, don't they? If that's the case, the GSD3's aren't supposed to like it that cold - they're max performance summer tires - so another reason for you to consider the All Seasons. I plan to keep my GSD3's on year round, but I'm in the San Francisco area and I don't think we get quite as cold as often as you do.

Good luck and have fun!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:51 PM
2packt
2nd Gear
f1

Originally Posted by hohod
Everyone's talking about the GSD3 but I believe the original poster was asking about the F1 All Season.

2packt, I went through the same process you're going through now just a few months ago. After 4 years on runflats (2 MCS's), I decided finally to switch to non-runflats. Read all the threads on NAM, posted a couple of questions here, read all the Tire Rack reviews and survey results, read the Consumer Reports tests, etc. Narrowed the decision to the same two Goodyears - F1 All Season or GSD3. Picked the GSD3's because for me, the primary consideration, once I decided on 205/50/16's, was performance. I'm certain though, if I didn't put a premium on performance, I would have gone with the F1 All Season even though it's kind of an unproven new kid on the block. As others have written, Eagle F1's have been consistently decent tires over the years, so I don't think I would have been disappointed.

In Vegas temps drop below 40 degrees F in the winter regularly, don't they? If that's the case, the GSD3's aren't supposed to like it that cold - they're max performance summer tires - so another reason for you to consider the All Seasons. I plan to keep my GSD3's on year round, but I'm in the San Francisco area and I don't think we get quite as cold as often as you do.

Good luck and have fun!
wow..thanks for the info... me too..im on my 2nd mini...had a 2003 before and now 2006...haha...S is so much better...anyways.. I guess I'll go with A/S f1 ...my main concern are comfort and ride quality...not really into too much performance...anyways.thanx