Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

MINI's Tire Mobility Kit vs. Continental's Tire Kit: which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 04:20 AM
BobinPhilly
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI's Tire Mobility Kit vs. Continental's Tire Kit: which is better?

I'm getting a set of non-run-flat tires for an R56 MCS (with TPMS sensors in the wheels), and am looking for some guidance on which of those two kits (or any other kits) I should buy.

What's been your experience with either or both of those tire mobility kits?

Whose tire mobility kit would you recommend I buy, and why?

Thanks.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:46 AM
jakay11
4th Gear
I made my own kit, and stored it in the side panels in my R53.
I got an air compressor, Slime, and a plug kit, all for around $25.

What's in each of the other kits?

Old 12-06-2007, 05:29 AM
ajakeski
4th Gear
Slime sells a kit for $20.00. That's what I have.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:01 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure you can use the slime or other products with the TPMS.....can you?

Old 12-06-2007, 07:10 AM
Diploman
3rd Gear
Conti Kit is Good

The ContiComfort Kit (available from Tire Rack) is a bit pricey compared to cheap compressors one can buy at Pep Boys/Auto Zone, etc., but it seems well made and is versatile, in that it can be used as a compressor alone or as a compressor which simultaneously injects a latex-based sealant while inflating The Conti sealant is said not to damage rims or tires, unlike others. A replacement kit (sealant canister, hose and adapter) can be had from Tire Rack after the unit has been used to seal and inflate a flat.

I have not had occasion to use the ContiComfort on my MCS equipped with non-runflats, but I did use it recently to repair a flat on my neighbor's Toyota. It worked exactly as advertised, first sealing then inflating the tire (the compressor has a pressure guage built-in). A month later my neighbor is still driving on the Conti repair and has not needed to add air, despite my advice to have the leak professionally repaired at a tire shop.

Carrying this unit in the boot - along with a Dynaplug kit - I feel quite confident of being able to successfully repair any eventual flat, provided it does not involve a sidewall tear. I have no experience with the Mini Mobility Kit, thus no basis for comparison, but I can attest that the Conti Kit works well and is very convenient.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:14 AM
alicecooper
2nd Gear
http://www.slimesealant.com/index.ph...nswer_1111_loc

My vehicle has a TPMS device; can I use SLiME?

TPMS STATEMENT OF COMPATIBILITY
As leaders in the tire care and repair industry, Accessories Marketing, Incorporated (AMI), the manufacturers of SLiME Tire Sealant wish to address the mandate set forth in the Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability and Documentation (TREAD) Act, passed in the fall of 2000. In response to this mandate, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) established the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard that requires the installation of Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) to all vehicles by September 1, 2007

From our findings, and after significant dialog with the leading manufacturers of TPMS devices, SLiME Tire Sealant TPMS devices. We understand TPMS manufacturers have conducted extensive testing to ensure their sensors remain operational after exposure to any chemical fluids that might come into contact with the sensors. This includes after market products, such as SLiME Tire Sealant. AMI has also conducted independent testing, which supports and verifies SLiME Tire Sealant’s compatibility with TPMS devices.

Currently, there are two types of TPMS devices available: Direct and Indirect. SLiME Tire Sealant’s TPMS formulation is compatible with all TPMS systems.

However, it is important to note that once installed, Slime Tire Sealant may come in contact with the sensor in a way that renders the sensor inoperable until it is properly cleaned, inspected and re-installed by a tire care professional.

Because SLiME is a water soluble flat repair treatment, it is easily removed from the tire with water. At the time the affected tire is inspected by a tire care professional, they should clean the sealant from the tire, prepare the area and repair with a Rubber Manufacturer’s Association (RMA) approved patch/plug. The TPMS device should also be cleaned off with water to remove any sealant which may have come into contact with the device. Do not use any fine objects to ream and clean the small pressure sensor opening as it may damage the electronics. After the repaired tire is replaced and inflated the TPMS system will resume operating as normal

Last edited by alicecooper; 12-06-2007 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:19 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Diploman
The ContiComfort Kit (available from Tire Rack) is a bit pricey compared to cheap compressors one can buy at Pep Boys/Auto Zone, etc., but it seems well made and is versatile, in that it can be used as a compressor alone or as a compressor which simultaneously injects a latex-based sealant while inflating The Conti sealant is said not to damage rims or tires, unlike others. A replacement kit (sealant canister, hose and adapter) can be had from Tire Rack after the unit has been used to seal and inflate a flat.

Carrying this unit in the boot - along with a Dynaplug kit - I feel quite confident of being able to successfully repair any eventual flat, provided it does not involve a sidewall tear. I have no experience with the Mini Mobility Kit, thus no basis for comparison, but I can attest that the Conti Kit works well and is very convenient.
I have exactly the same items in the boot + !
The Conti compressor is much better than the Walmart $15 cheapo's

Old 12-06-2007, 07:21 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by alicecooper
http://www.slimesealant.com/index.ph...nswer_1111_loc

My vehicle has a TPMS device; can I use SLiME?

TPMS STATEMENT OF COMPATIBILITY
As leaders in the tire care and repair industry, Accessories Marketing, Incorporated (AMI), the manufacturers of SLiME Tire Sealant wish to address the mandate set forth in the Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability and Documentation (TREAD) Act, passed in the fall of 2000. In response to this mandate, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) established the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard that requires the installation of Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) to all vehicles by September 1, 2007

From our findings, and after significant dialog with the leading manufacturers of TPMS devices, SLiME Tire Sealant TPMS devices. We understand TPMS manufacturers have conducted extensive testing to ensure their sensors remain operational after exposure to any chemical fluids that might come into contact with the sensors. This includes after market products, such as SLiME Tire Sealant. AMI has also conducted independent testing, which supports and verifies SLiME Tire Sealant’s compatibility with TPMS devices.

Currently, there are two types of TPMS devices available: Direct and Indirect. SLiME Tire Sealant’s TPMS formulation is compatible with all TPMS systems.

However, it is important to note that once installed, Slime Tire Sealant may come in contact with the sensor in a way that renders the sensor inoperable until it is properly cleaned, inspected and re-installed by a tire care professional.

Because SLiME is a water soluble flat repair treatment, it is easily removed from the tire with water. At the time the affected tire is inspected by a tire care professional, they should clean the sealant from the tire, prepare the area and repair with a Rubber Manufacturer’s Association (RMA) approved patch/plug. The TPMS device should also be cleaned off with water to remove any sealant which may have come into contact with the device. Do not use any fine objects to ream and clean the small pressure sensor opening as it may damage the electronics. After the repaired tire is replaced and inflated the TPMS system will resume operating as normal
............at least for the Slime product

Old 12-06-2007, 07:29 AM
alicecooper
2nd Gear
Ever hear of Rhinotire? This looks awesome.

http://www.rhinotire.com/
Rhinotire is a revolutionary and unique technology formulated to prevent flats in pneumatic tires caused by punctures from nails or any other sharp objects

Video of Rhinotire in action:
rhinotire - no flat tire ever again
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=7

Old 12-06-2007, 07:31 AM
jakay11
4th Gear
Being an R53 vs R56, I have the indirect TPMS and thus no issue with sensors...
Since you have the R56 and direct TPMS, you'll need to clean the sensors after Sliming (but its water sol.)

The latex sealant will need to be removed from the senors (and I don't know how easy it would be)... a call to our sponsor Alex at TireRack may help clear that up though...

Old 12-06-2007, 07:59 AM
LEPRACHAUN
3rd Gear
One word of warning. I had the kit from MINI Mania and it came with the BMW fix-a-flat. Plastic bottle.....one day I noticed this gunk in the trunk. The bottle leaked out inside the lovely carrying bag through the big tooth plastic zipper and into the carpet. Needless to say the compressor was toast.
Had it for 3 years, so could have been a plastic/age thing. If the MINI kit comes with that same bottle I'd recommend a big Hefty Zip Lock bag.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:36 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by LEPRACHAUN
.....one day I noticed this gunk in the trunk...
Ewww! You've got junk, er gunk in your trunk (it's a boot!)

For me, cheapo compressor and a plug kit. I've used the compressor for ten years for track days, topping up, even for filling an abalone float - works great.
I don't see the logic in coating the entire inside of my tire with crud when all I want to do is to fill a small hole. But that's just me.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:52 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
slime/fix-a-flat should be your last option... in that case, who cares
about some $25-50 RF module. just get your car home, call tirerack

Old 12-06-2007, 09:02 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I carry a Slime + compressor kit that I bought for $20-30 at Pep Boys or some other auto parts store. I also have a nail / puncture repair kit for roadside use.

Like kenchan said, the Slime kit is my last option. If I can use the puncture plug kit and the compressor to get back on the road, I'd much rather do that. Slime is water soluable and can be cleaned out of the tire if the tire can be repaired. Most fix-a-flat canned solutions are not water soluable and tire shops may refuse to clean it out, taking the repair option off the table.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
I keep the Slime kit w/ compressor here in my boot in addition to a plug kit. Good to know it'll work with the new direct TPMS in the R56 now too... I've used the compressor just to verify that it works. I'm sure there are better ones, but I like the way this package is able to conveniently fit in an "out of the way" area. I'm sure plenty are happy spending more than the $20 that this kit cost, but it's good enough for me.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:34 AM
LEPRACHAUN
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Ewww! You've got junk, er gunk in your trunk (it's a boot!)
Yeah I know everyone goes all European and calls it a boot, but gunk didn't ryhme with boot.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:34 AM
kgardnez
4th Gear
Great pic, now that I know it fits I'm going to buy this exact kit!

Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk