Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Mini dealer wants to charge me $220 to mount my wheels!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 03:32 PM
sancochojoe
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini dealer wants to charge me $220 to mount my wheels!!!

I'm waiting on my delivery of my new mini and I ordered wheels and tires and asked them to mount those on the car.

First they asked, "are they runflats" I said no.

Than they said, well we are going to charge $55 dollars to mount and balance each wheel/tire combo onto the mini. $220.00. What the heck!!!

Old 12-14-2007, 03:39 PM
drewster
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how are you handling the TPMS?

Old 12-14-2007, 03:41 PM
sancochojoe
4th Gear
Originally Posted by drewster
how are you handling the TPMS?
Don't know.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Are these Mini wheels or aftermarket? If aftermarket I can see them charging to mount those.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:45 PM
sancochojoe
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Benibiker
Are these Mini wheels or aftermarket? If aftermarket I can see them charging to mount those.
Yes they are. I don't like any of the wheels they are offering and plus paying twice as much for the wheels.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by sancochojoe
Yes they are. I don't like any of the wheels they are offering and plus paying twice as much for the wheels.
I agree, Mini wheels are expensive! Aftermarket wheels give you more of a choice anyway, you'll just have to figure out what to do with the TPS. I guess you can just do without or maybe it can be installed on the new wheels.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:12 PM
PGT
Banned
Costco charges $40. For all four wheels.

Going rate at most shops is $40 a corner, give or take depending on size and tire stiffness. Check tirerack.com for their recommended installers and take the set to one near you....the rates are clearly marked on the site.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Mark Kurzius
3rd Gear
I'm waiting on my delivery of my new mini and I ordered wheels and tires and asked them to mount those on the car.

First they asked, "are they runflats" I said no.

Than they said, well we are going to charge $55 dollars to mount and balance each wheel/tire combo onto the mini. $220.00. What the heck!!!
What wheels did you order...If there from a local tire supplier have them mount them and bring them to the dealer,thats what I did...If there close usually they'll deliver and mount them at the dealer...my guy even gave me a credit for the wheels off the car..good luck with them,most dealers will try and get you where they can...

Old 12-14-2007, 04:19 PM
PGT
Banned
MoS charges $3000 for Sportmax wheels and non-runflat tires - just look at the car in their showroom

Old 12-14-2007, 04:21 PM
sancochojoe
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mark Kurzius
What wheels did you order...If there from a local tire supplier have them mount them and bring them to the dealer,thats what I did...If there close usually they'll deliver and mount them at the dealer...my guy even gave me a credit for the wheels off the car..good luck with them,most dealers will try and get you where they can...
No...I ordered the Hamann HM4 and haven't found the tires I wanted yet.
Still looking.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:32 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Don't know.
Perhaps the extra charge is for the time to move the TMPS sensors to the new wheels in addition to the mount and rebalance?

Old 12-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Mark Kurzius
3rd Gear
No...I ordered the Hamann HM4 and haven't found the tires I wanted yet.
Still looking.
Hamann makes a great wheel... I have them on a couple of cars..did you mean the HM3..Did you order from a distributor,they should be able to get the tires for you and mount them...Are they close to you and the dealer ?

Old 12-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sounds about right to me. The dealer will take the tires and wheels to a tire shop, pay them less than half what they quoted you, and then at least double the price to make their profit.

Just take them to the tire shop yourself and save at least half if not more.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:45 PM
sancochojoe
4th Gear
Hamann makes a great wheel... I have them on a couple of cars..did you mean the HM3..Did you order from a distributor,they should be able to get the tires for you and mount them...Are they close to you and the dealer ?
I think the HM3 are 17x8.5 and the HM4 are 17x8...at least from the search i've done. Other than that I don't see any difference.

The wheels from your pic look chrome...mine are not chrome that I ordered, unless those are different wheels.

I ordered them from Bavarian Auto online. They didn't have the tires in stock and i would have had to wait another week or so.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:47 PM
sancochojoe
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
That sounds about right to me. The dealer will take the tires and wheels to a tire shop, pay them less than half what they quoted you, and then at least double the price to make their profit.

hmm the dealer has a huge garage full of mini's and BMWs that they are working on...that would be surprising that they wouldn't do it themselves.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Mark Kurzius
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol

They shouldn't even have to do that,most of the better tire( Wheel) shops deal with
the dealers,remember most of them (MINI) are BMW dealers who swap out chrome wheels and such all the time.When I bought my car,Westco mounted the wheels and tires,set the sensors,took them to the dealer,mounted them on site and took the stock set and gave me a credit for the blanks that they can chrome and later sell back to the dealer.They even got me JCW centercap decals...You would think that someone like this exists in the DC area...Good luck with it...Take care

Old 12-14-2007, 04:58 PM
PGT
Banned
You would think that someone like this exists in the DC area.
not at any MINI dealer I'm aware of. Most all DC area car dealers are sharks, MINI dealers included. Sadly, it's true

Old 12-14-2007, 04:59 PM
sancochojoe
4th Gear
They shouldn't even have to do that,most of the better tire( Wheel) shops deal with
the dealers,remember most of them (MINI) are BMW dealers who swap out chrome wheels and such all the time.When I bought my car,Westco mounted the wheels and tires,set the sensors,took them to the dealer,mounted them on site and took the stock set and gave me a credit for the blanks that they can chrome and later sell back to the dealer.They even got me JCW centercap decals...You would think that someone like this exists in the DC area...Good luck with it...Take care
Hey, is your car lowered??

Old 12-14-2007, 05:00 PM
sancochojoe
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
not at any MINI dealer I'm aware of. Most all DC area car dealers are sharks, MINI dealers included. Sadly, it's true
Thats not reassuring.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:06 PM
PGT
Banned
\/ quoting myself so you can see it again

Originally Posted by PGT
Costco charges $40. For all four wheels.

Going rate at most shops is $40 a corner, give or take depending on size and tire stiffness. Check tirerack.com for their recommended installers and take the set to one near you....the rates are clearly marked on the site.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:09 PM
sancochojoe
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
\/ quoting myself so you can see it again
Can they handle the sensor issues??? I suppose its a no brainer to do, right?

Old 12-14-2007, 05:13 PM
PGT
Banned
if it's anything like the one on my FX35, the module is easy to secure. They are common enough now it should be an issue due to the modules themselves, but the bigger question is whether your wheels can accomodate them.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Mark Kurzius
3rd Gear
I lowered it with H&R Springs,the car is too much fun and handles great...I really think if you check around one of these shops exist..I have done this with my cars for years and DC isn't exactly unsoffisticated,got alot of good friends back there and they have some nice vehicles.Hamann wheels are definitely at the top of the market and whomever you are buying them from should be able to help you or buy them from somebody else...you have the time...take care

Where is the dealer,I can check for referrals from the Hamann Distributor ....Wheel Power in Newport beach or you can give them a call ...There the exclusive Distributor for the US 714-375-9666...

The sensors are no problem,fit fine in my wheels...The wheel shop handled that as well..

Last edited by Mark Kurzius; 12-14-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:19 PM
sancochojoe
4th Gear
I lowered it with H&R Springs,the car is too much fun and handles great...I really think if you check around one of these shops exist..I have done this with my cars for years and DC isn't exactly unsoffisticated,got alot of good friends back there and they have some nice vehicles.Hamann wheels are definitely at the top of the market and whomever you are buying them from should be able to help you or buy them from somebody else...you have the time...take care
since you have the same wheels, do the sensors fit in the wheel???

Old 12-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Mark Kurzius
3rd Gear
I think the HM3 are 17x8.5 and the HM4 are 17x8...at least from the search i've done. Other than that I don't see any difference.

The wheels from your pic look chrome...mine are not chrome that I ordered, unless those are different wheels.

I ordered them from Bavarian Auto online. They didn't have the tires in stock and i would have had to wait another week or so.

Per my other reply...Check with Wheel Power..714-375-9666...check their website also...The wheels should be HM3's which are 17x8..I had mine chromed at Westco Tire out here....

Quick Reply: Mini dealer wants to charge me $220 to mount my wheels!!!