Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP vs Continental ContiProContact SSR

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 02:08 PM
PuppetMaster2u
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP vs Continental ContiProContact SSR

So - I've gotten 16k out of my OEM Goodyear runflats... and am in the market for new tires. (I think I'd still prefer runflats?)

Any thoughts on either of the above? (Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP vs Continental ContiProContact SSR)

Old 12-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Nimcosi
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PuppetMaster2u
So - I've gotten 16k out of my OEM Goodyear runflats... and am in the market for new tires. (I think I'd still prefer runflats?)

Any thoughts on either of the above? (Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP vs Continental ContiProContact SSR)
Two different type of tires but here are my thoughts:

Continental ContiProContact SSR (all season tire) are what came stock on my R56. Having not owned a vehicle with runflats before I did not find them to have the atypical characteristics that people complain about when discussing runflats. So comparatively to an all season non-runflat tire I would say the Continental ContiProContact SSR tires perform very well.

The Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP (summer tire) are one of the tires I am looking to purchase as a summer tire. So I am curious as well.

Last edited by Nimcosi; 12-19-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:06 AM
PuppetMaster2u
4th Gear
bump

Old 01-23-2008, 05:12 AM
SCmini
2nd Gear
I too am looking for feedback on the Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP.
Need new tires, and figure I will just stay with runflats.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:58 PM
locogringo
3rd Gear
Mini came with Contis. I have just over 2000 miles on them, and have used them on ice. I don't think they are that bad either.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:01 PM
minirab
5th Gear
I am on my second set of the Kumho SPT. When this set wears out
I'll get another set.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:42 AM
PuppetMaster2u
4th Gear
^bump^ (still got a little time before I NEED to get em)

Old 01-25-2008, 08:58 AM
The Red Wolf
3rd Gear
I replaced my stock Dunlop rf's (front only) about 1000miles ago, and have 2 more waiting once the rears are shot. I think I made another post and I know I've read one or two others (do a search in this forum). My seat of pants feel is that the Continentals have a little less dry adhesion than the Dunlops, but unless I ran them back to back I couldn't quantify it. I haven't driven in much snow in Indy yet, but some slick conditions and have no complaints.

I drive what I think is relatively agressively on the street, though I don't auto-x. For the price (far less than the Dunlops or Goodyear rf's), I would highly recommend the Continentals.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Diploman
3rd Gear
I have the OEM Bridgespokes shod with OEM Conti SSR all season runflats on my 2007 MCS. I use this setup for winter driving only. The all-season's are a compromise tire - reasonable grip in the dry, reasonable grip in snow, but neither is as good as dedicated summer or winter tires. The Conti runflats are quite a heavy tire (typical of runflats) and the Bridgespokes are relatively heavy as well. Suspension performance, handling and ride compliance are signifcantly improved when I change to OZ Ultraleggera's (16's) and General Exclaim UHP's for warm weather. This combination is about 14 lbs per corner lighter than the OEM setup.

All in all, the Conti's are decent for cold weather driving, but they will be in the garage the minute warm weather arrives.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:43 AM
PenelopeG3
4th Gear
I have the regular SPTs and like them but I'm in sunny California and don't see snow. Unless you have a set of snow tires you use in the winter, you may want to go for an all season tire.

If you call Tire Rack, they are pretty good at accurately discussing pros/cons on your tire options.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:33 AM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We had the ContiProContact SSR runflats installed on our 2004 MC on Saturday. (Kudos to Tire Rack for keeping me updated on the backorder, and I see they're now on back-order again.)

They replaced the OEM Goodyear NCT5 EMT runflats, which had 30K+ miles on them. Believe it or not, they still had a decent amount of tread left. The car's my wife's around-town driver, so I'm not worried about unsprung weight or all-out handling.

If I'd stuck to summer tires, there would have been more choices, but I wanted this car to have all-season tires. Being in central Texas, there's generally no need for winter tires for sure. But, I couldn't find a well-received non-runflat all-season in the right size. (The car has a spare tire.) The only one Tire Rack lists currently in that size is the Firestone Firehawk GTA 02. And I've got a thing about Firestone.

(When I replace tires on my 2007 MCS, it'll have summer tires, the Kumhos mentioned above are on the short list, but that's probably a year away.)

The ride is noticably improved. The car has the sport suspension IIRC, and the ride on the Goodyears was kidney-jolting over seams in the road. It could be the tires are more compliant, but if they're heavier tires, that could be helping as well. And so far on dry and wet, they're definitely no worse than the Goodyears they replaced, but I"ve only driven the car myself for one day so far.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:20 PM
PuppetMaster2u
4th Gear
BUMP (still got time - it's cold here so the Mini's warm in the garage)