Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

ALL SEASON TIRES

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:30 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The General Exclaim might be a good tire to consider. It is basically a summer UHP tire, but, upon reading about it, it DOES have a M+S rating, too. Some of its reviewers state that it did well in light snow.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:53 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cube17576
A good UHP tire is going to be a lot more expensive and wear quicker than a cheap decent all-season. Why burn up an expensive tire all winter?
Heh, heh.

I thought this, too. Then I bought all seasons that cost twice as much as my UHP summers... and I think my all seasons grip better too. Now I don't want to take them off...

Old 01-31-2008, 01:17 PM
locogringo
3rd Gear
I just ordered some 16" Enkei wheels with Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 tires. I decided to keep the runflats for this winter as we are almost out of winter here. If I feel the ride is much more enjoyable on the regular tires, I will have to decide next winter between using the runflats again or switching to all season regular tires.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:18 PM
locogringo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Heh, heh.

I thought this, too. Then I bought all seasons that cost twice as much as my UHP summers... and I think my all seasons grip better too. Now I don't want to take them off...

Which all seasons did you go with?

Old 01-31-2008, 01:19 PM
locogringo
3rd Gear
F1 all seasons. Lost the thread when it changed page. Short attention span may be my problem

Old 01-31-2008, 01:44 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by locogringo
F1 all seasons. Lost the thread when it changed page. Short attention span may be my problem
Sweet, you'll definitely like them. And as an added plus they look great! Should have all issues sorted out with mine tomorrow.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:47 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That is not always the best idea. Most summer tires are not happy when the temperature dips below freezing. (stock, all-season, track, and autoX).
Well... having lived in Arkansas, and having driven my Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (rear wheel drive, no fancy DSC back in 1985) with performance tires on it during the Arkansas winters. Never had an issue.

And like I said... good excuse for a sick day ! Not like it snows there every week (or every month) in the winter !

Old 01-31-2008, 01:53 PM
locogringo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
Well... having lived in Arkansas, and having driven my Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (rear wheel drive, no fancy DSC back in 1985) with performance tires on it during the Arkansas winters. Never had an issue.

And like I said... good excuse for a sick day ! Not like it snows there every week (or every month) in the winter !

Some winters more than others. It is snowing right now. We are actually supposed to get 2-4 inches tonight.I live in the NW part of the state. More frozen stuff than central Ark, but still not a lot. I agree with the good excuse for a sick day. I also like the excuse to buy a new set of light weight wheels to replace the stock wheels.

Were you at LRAFB? I grew up in Jacksonville. OK, I went to school there. Really haven't grown up yet.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:57 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Some winters more than others. It is snowing right now. We are actually supposed to get 2-4 inches tonight.I live in the NW part of the state. More frozen stuff than central Ark, but still not a lot. I agree with the good excuse for a sick day. I also like the excuse to buy a new set of light weight wheels to replace the stock wheels.

Were you at LRAFB? I grew up in Jacksonville. OK, I went to school there. Really haven't grown up yet.
No... not fortunate to be stationed at Little Rock. I was stationed at Blytheville, a little hell hole in the very NE corner of the state. Over there on the Mississippi River where the mosquitos are the size of butterflies and where kids sled on interstate ramps because everything else is flat.

They closed that base shortly after I left there. Figures. :impatient

Old 02-01-2008, 12:19 PM
bannaslug
1st Gear
Just picked up my 07 MCS last week with 9000 miles. Want to replace RF with Eagle F1 all season tires. Have the stock 205/45R17 on them now what should is the better option as far as size. Stay with 205/45R17 on the F1s or go up a size to 215/45R17. What would be the advantage or disadvantage of going to 215s?

Old 02-01-2008, 12:42 PM
locogringo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bannaslug
Just picked up my 07 MCS last week with 9000 miles. Want to replace RF with Eagle F1 all season tires. Have the stock 205/45R17 on them now what should is the better option as far as size. Stay with 205/45R17 on the F1s or go up a size to 215/45R17. What would be the advantage or disadvantage of going to 215s?
Haven't run the 215's myself, but have gathered the following info while contemplating the same thing. 215's would be approx .353 inched larger in diameter. Might have fit issues with lowered car. Shouldn't have issues with stock suspension. Taller sidewall gives softer ride but suffers some on performance. Probably not major performance loss. Lastly, many more tires to choose from in the 215 size. H

Old 02-01-2008, 12:54 PM
bannaslug
1st Gear
Thanks for the info. If you had a family of four in mini, stock suspension, still no problems with rubbing on 215s?

Old 02-01-2008, 01:00 PM
locogringo
3rd Gear
Having not run them myself, I am hoping someone who has will chime in here.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:06 PM
mini552
4th Gear
That is not always the best idea. Most summer tires are not happy when the temperature dips below freezing. I felt like I was on ice with my Eagle F1 GSD3s when the temperature was below 35 degrees. The rubber compounds that give the tires good grip in the warm weather get very hard in cold temperatures.

The best option is to get 2 sets of wheels and tires. Look in the marketplace and you can find a bunch of people selling MINI wheels for cheap. In the long run it might actually be cheaper. A good UHP tire is going to be a lot more expensive and wear quicker than a cheap decent all-season. Why burn up an expensive tire all winter? A cheap set of all-seasons will last you 3 to 4 years and save your expensive tires for the summer. In the end, you will probably go through less tires which will recover the cost of the extra set of wheels.

Of course, this is from a guy that has 4 sets of wheels and tires now. (stock, all-season, track, and autoX).
2nd that - I'm in So. Calif., but used to have a cabin at Lake Arrowhead. One weekend we got about 4-5 inches of snow and I tried to drive home in my Audi Quattro - all wheel drive, mind you, but with Dunlop sp9000 summer perf. tires - all Quattro meant at freezing temps on snow was that I spun 4 tires instead of 2. Probably would have been OK with even all seasons.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:14 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
I routinely haul my family of four, total weight about 650 pounds, in my car with stock ride height and 215/45R17's with no issues. At least none that I've noticed in the past 10,000 miles...

Old 02-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
I went 215/45/17 on my MCS. Prefer the look, a lot more tires to choose from and the prices are usually cheaper. No rubbing at all, it's not even incredibly close. I'm actually lowering my MINI on Eibach springs Monday, so we'll see what happens.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:17 PM
locogringo
3rd Gear
Msteadman,

Did you get your issues with the Goodyear all season tires resolved?

Old 02-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Msteadman,

Did you get your issues with the Goodyear all season tires resolved?
Tomorrow morning. Bringing it in at 8am for them to do extensive testing. Not happy bout waking up before sunrise on a Saturday morning, but I really want this issue resolved ASAP...

They did rebalance one of the front tires and it almost did away with high-speed vibration, but there's still some at low speeds. They're also going to check the alignment as it's pulling to the left pretty strongly at times.

Wish me luck! I really want to keep these tires. Amazing ride, awesome grip and a sweet look. But if they aren't able to get everything resolved tomorrow I may take advantage of that 30 day guarantee...

Old 02-02-2008, 04:36 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Good luck - I hope they're able to get them worked out - because they are great tires.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
HOKAY, so they rebalanced all four tires this morning. Turns out when I went in before they only rebalanced the front two. Vibration is pretty much gone, although it's still there to the slightest extent at particular speeds (seems the 40-50mph range). I'm getting Eibach springs installed Monday morning and will have an alignment done as well. So if the vibration is still there after that I'll probably bring it in again.

Problem is I honestly can't remember if I had any vibration with my OEM tires. Perhaps it was always there to a small extent and I should just let go of it. After all, it's not as if the MCS has the smoothest suspension... At the same time however, I don't wanna settle for almost $200 per tires that can't be balanced properly. Really hoping to get this resolved as they truly are great tires.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:11 PM
locogringo
3rd Gear
Had the Conti run-flats replaced with Bridgestone RE960's in 215/45-17 on the factory crown spokes yesterday. As Peter on Family Guy would say, " freakin' sweet."

Now waiting on warm weather to run the Enkei RPF 1s in 16" x 7" with summer rubber. Come on spring time.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Just realized I never updated. After the alignment and a final balancing of all 4 tires, the vibration is gone! Also I was able to experience these tires in the snow last week, very impressive. Finally, I had the Eibach springs installed and although it's relatively close (see pics below) I haven't had any issue with rubbing yet.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:21 PM
locogringo
3rd Gear
Msteadman,

Are those 215/45-17 with lowering springs? That would be good to know as I am looking at suspension tuning next.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Yep, 215/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 All Seasons with Eibach springs. Went for the Eibach's in particular because of rubbing concerns with this tire size since it's larger than OEM. H&R's are lower and Mach V's are softer so I didn't wanna risk either. No issues with the tires and springs yet.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:51 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Msteadman - glad you got it all sorted out. I'm loving my F1-AS in that size - glad you can enjoy yours now, too.

Quick Reply: ALL SEASON TIRES