Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Is this right?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:27 PM
tony1athome
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this right?

A few days ago, I put in an order for an '08 MCSC with JCW and sport packages. I spec'ed the 17" crown spoke wheels.

Now my dealer is coming back to me and telling me that despite this being available in the configurator, it's not a legit configuration and the crown spoke wheels have to go. Is that right?

Old 01-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the MCSc that may very well be true. I can't recall ever seeing the crown-spokes on a soft-top MINI.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:23 PM
tony1athome
3rd Gear
Ok, so why would the combination be problematic?

Old 01-18-2008, 08:44 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
I doubt it's problematic at all. It just seems to be a (sometimes annoying) MINI thing that certain options are only allowed in combination with certain other options/models.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:09 PM
MiniDaMoocher
4th Gear
When I ordered mine I wanted the bullets, and while available with the configurator, just like you I couldn't order them through Mini. In my case the dealer went through several iterations and it turned out that my all season tires precluded the bullets. I ended up with the crown spokes and like them better than the bullets, so it is a happy ending, but I was pretty PO'd at the time.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:33 PM
zedaristo
2nd Gear
I just picked up my MCS about 3 weeks ago and plan on selling my crown spokes, any interest? I live in SF

Old 01-18-2008, 09:40 PM
tony1athome
3rd Gear
No thanks. I actually don't like the crown spikes, I just preferred them to the bullets and I haven't wrapped my head around the web spokes. The real question is whether I want to go to something aftermarket or not.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
I'd recommend going aftermarket. Arguably better looking and definitely much lighter wheels.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:09 PM
kazlot
4th Gear
Is this right?

FWIW - Take the web spokes.

You can always sell them here on NAM and they do sell for more than you'll pay for them when ordered from the factory on the car. They're less than aftermarket in cost and yes they are heavy, as in hell for stout.

What you need or want depends on what you want in looks and or performance.

I have a set of web spokes and runflats for trips and bridge spokes and max performance summer non-runflats for ever thing else.

Lighter wheels would be nice but as yet I've not found wheels that I like in appearance and or cost. My car has the JCW suspension and that has regretfully eliminate some wheels due to rubbing.

Hope this helps...

Originally Posted by tony1athome
No thanks. I actually don't like the crown spikes, I just preferred them to the bullets and I haven't wrapped my head around the web spokes. The real question is whether I want to go to something aftermarket or not.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:00 PM
tony1athome
3rd Gear
Thanks, that's great help. I lean more toward performance (for my 12 mile commute :smile so I'm definitely looking towards light weight. Yes, I definitely understand the benefits of minimizing unsprung weight and look forward to the occasional track day at Laguna Seca.

I'm not one to rice-out my ride, so understated cool would be optimal. I haven't seen anything yet, but will keep my eyes open. In the meantime, I'll reconsider the web spokes.