Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

WARNING: All Goodyear DS-G3 F1's now being made in China!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 04:27 PM
donato
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WARNING: All Goodyear DS-G3 F1's now being made in China!

I just got a call back from Tirerack and they told me all the new ones are being made in China!

Old 01-23-2008, 04:27 PM
tony1athome
3rd Gear
And this is a bad thing? Or are you worried about the lead content?

Old 01-23-2008, 04:34 PM
donato
3rd Gear
Well, it's something people should know since there are previous reports about DS-G3's made in China that were inferior to the German made ones.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:06 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
another reason why i only run bridgestone on my summers these days.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:01 PM
anteken
4th Gear
we only use cooper tires on our cooper s.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:37 PM
ChiliXer
4th Gear
Goodyear has been struggling its no surprise that they are trying to cut costs. So long as they make sure the quality is decent its okay just don't buy a tire just because it says good year on it buy it because its a good tire. It seems like the only reason they are still alive is their name, I cant say I have been interested in any of their tires for the price. Maybe this move will help them be more competitive.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:53 PM
Deviant
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tony1athome
Only when I light them up....don't want to inhale that lead-smoke.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by donato
I just got a call back from Tirerack and they told me all the new ones are being made in China!
If that bothers you, don't shop at Wallmart then. Almost everything there is made in China.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:01 PM
donato
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
If that bothers you, don't shop at Wallmart then. Almost everything there is made in China.
You're missing the point. There is a previous thread that said the same model they made in Germany was actually different and superior.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:02 PM
donato
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ChiliXer
Goodyear has been struggling its no surprise that they are trying to cut costs. So long as they make sure the quality is decent its okay just don't buy a tire just because it says good year on it buy it because its a good tire. It seems like the only reason they are still alive is their name, I cant say I have been interested in any of their tires for the price. Maybe this move will help them be more competitive.
Huh? It seems like the reviews for the DS-G3 F1 have been excellent, and either at the very top or near it for its' class.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:32 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Boooooo to China!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:43 PM
tony1athome
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bee1000n
Boooooo to China!

Hey! Some of us are Chinese! Chill!

Old 01-23-2008, 10:14 PM
glnr13
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dont take it personal.

my tire guy discouraged me from getting these tires. he said that the chinese made ones have poor quality control and the molds are not maintained as well as other locations in the world.

btw-my tire guy is chinese and so am i.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:11 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't like Chinese manufacturing...

might as well break out some wood and whittle it yourself. It's everywhere. For what it's worth, some of the best laptops are Chinese, and almost every power supply used to make every semiconductor made in the world comes from there, no matter the company label on it. Fact is, if someone outsources manufacturing to China, competitors better or they will be out of business shortly....

Matt

Old 01-23-2008, 11:21 PM
donato
3rd Gear
Well, I just hope the previous problems they had with Chinese manufacturing have been resolved. I recently bought five- three of which were Chinese and two German. It turns out if I want a matching set, I need to return the German ones for Chinese! I'm going to do it though and hope for the best. Again, I actually have nothing about Chinese stuff, I just want the quality to be there (which reportedly in the past it has not).

Old 01-24-2008, 01:47 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts
The bottom line is that Goodyear chooses the level of quality they want. Whether they want to maintain quality or cut costs determines which suppliers they select. Every iPod is made in China. Apple sets their standards high and demand that their suppliers meet it.

Here's an interesting account about manufacturing in China.
Audio: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=15773915
Article: http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200707/shenzhen

Old 01-24-2008, 02:09 AM
MC 2
5th Gear
Well for me i very satifed whit chinesse nexen 3000 215/40/17 i have track
these for few time now and they have suprise me quite a bit compare to the spupid runflat ...and for 100$ they are very chep compare to 400$ runflat...

Old 01-24-2008, 06:01 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
bottom line is, it doesnt matter where is coming from, as long as the company is responsible for it and has high quality QC... in the end as long as QC is maintained it really doesnt matter

btw, i am chinese also and i quite take offense to people who are always knocking on the chinese

Old 01-24-2008, 06:20 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
I had heard the same info on German built vs. Chinese built F1 GS-D3's. That info being that the ones from China were not equal to the German ones. However, I assumed that was a result of the load and speed rating both being lower which they were, vs being a manufacturing quality issue. No knock of the Chinese meant at all in my case. Many tires are made in different speed ratings and sold at different prices. This was the case here as far as I know.

We need to know are the same higher speed and load rated tires now being made in China too (the ones that used to cost about $139 and were made in Germany). Or is that tire gone and only the lower load and lower speed rated (about $79) tire being made?

Has anyone asked Alex @ Tirerack?

If the higher speed rated one is now made in China, I'll need to find a new test of that tire before it's time for me to replace my current ones. I hope they're the equal, I LOVE these tires.

Last edited by mmatarella; 01-24-2008 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:09 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mmatarella

Has anyone asked Alex @ Tirerack?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8&postcount=16

Old 01-24-2008, 07:09 AM
70spop
6th Gear
Just don't lick the tires and you'll be ok.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:25 AM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not booing Chinese people, silly. I'm booing the oppressive Communist Chinese government.

(This is the Tires forum, not Off-Topic Politics, so that's all I'll leave it at that.)

Old 01-24-2008, 07:38 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
Thanks, but what I was wondering if he knew if the Chinese ones were of the same load & speed rating, and of the same quality as what used to be made only in Germany. I guessed he was the source of the initial info. If it's tirerack and MINI's then Alex is da man.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:57 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The Chinese versions of this particular tire are of a lower speed rating and feel like a different rubber (from a recent NAM poster who got a mixed shipment of the two by mistake - immediately rectified by Alex at the Tire Rack - Kudos to them). I think that the quote from the NAM poster was "they don't even look like the same tire" or something very close to that.

I've got the German versions and love 'em... they stick like glue on dry and wet... fairly slippery in the cold, but they are a warm weather, high-performance tire.... you can't have it all! :D

Old 01-24-2008, 08:05 AM
MidMichMini
1st Gear
I got stuck with junk tires!

I purchased a set of 215-45/17 Eagle F1’s in July 2006. I bought them for two reasons. First, they were highly recommended as a “Great” tire even for performance applications. And second, TireRack had them on special at $88 and you got a $100 gift card from Goodyear on top of it. I couldn’t pass it up!

These were my first tires after the stock RS-As and I was going to use them for street and track days. On the street, I was impressed with the grip entering freeways but they always felt out of balance. However, on the track, they were absolutely miserable! They squeal loudly around every corner and had mediocre grip even when hot.

I went to the track with a MINI buddy this summer who also has Eagle F1’s. He loves his tires! Very little squealing and great grip. We compared our tires after a 20 min session. His felt very tacky and mine were very smooth…almost like his wear rating was 200 and mine was 300. Guess what!! His were German and mine are Chinese!!!!! There is a difference. The Chinese tires are clearly inferior to the Germans. At least for high performance applications.

Oh, remember I mentioned that they always felt out of balance? Slipped belt right from the beginning. Poor quality control.

Go ahead and buy these for the street if you want to. I personally think you can get a much better summer tire for less money. However, do not buy these for performance applications…they are JUNK!!! I blame Goodyear, not the Chinese.

Quick Reply: WARNING: All Goodyear DS-G3 F1's now being made in China!