Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Embarrassing Moment

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 02:12 PM
dcsmini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Embarrassing Moment

I don't own a Mini, I have just wanted one for a good while. That said I got embarrassed last night by one.

I was sitting here minding my business like I do every night; I heard my wife talking to a lady see knows on the phone. "Why don't you just come by here, David can fix it for you, he has a compressor and all." I gathered it was flat tire from what I was hearing.

I'm out there looking for plugs in my truck tool box when here comes head lights behind me. Turns out the lady is driving a Mini. I lit up. I'm thinking I'll plug the tire or change the tire in a few minutes and then get a chance to drive a Mini.

I pulled the thing in my shop, jacked it up and removed lug bolts. This is where I am still lost. I couldn't pull the wheel off. I pulled and the whole car shook but the wheel never came off. I figured I'll spray it with soapy water at least and find the leak. I couldn't find a leak. I started getting nervous. I went to the manual to figure out if there was a security feature to prevent the wheel from being pulled off. I saw no evidence that such security feature existed. I went looking for the jack and tire tools to see if there was a special tool. It took me ten minutes to figure out how to open the trunk. I didn't find anything special packaged with the jack. I went to look for the spare tire, now in a panic (I'm thinking I want to at least be able to tell the lady something). I couldn't find a spare tire. There was only a battery under the rug in the back.

I'd say at least 30 minutes, maybe 45 seemed like an hour, I hadn't figured out how to take the wheel off, where the leak was or how in the hell you would ever change the tire on the side of the road. My wife walked out and ask, "how is it going?" I had to tell her "I've never been so embarressed in my life." Thankfully, while I was explaining what was going on, I saw bubbles coming from around the rim.

That was the only saving grace, I could tell the lady where the leak was and that I can't fix that.

The lady needed to get home. I never figured out how to get the wheel off or where the spare tire is. Remember it was dark, but I had light in my shop.

Please tell me what the hell am I missing? After reading a little on this forum about run flat tires, I'm now wondering if I should have plugged the tire if I had found a nail in it.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:19 PM
JCWGrover
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dcsmini
I never figured out how to get the wheel off or where the spare tire is. Remember it was dark, but I had light in my shop.

Please tell me what the hell am I missing?
1.> A 2 x 4 and a BFH. Take the lugs out, put the 2x4 against the inside of the rim/tire , and give it a good whack with the hammer. ( Yup, gotta lay on down for this one!)

2.> If you found a battery in the back, there is no spare tire

3.> It very well might not have been any puncture, it was just leaking around the rim.

Last edited by JCWGrover; 01-24-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:20 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You said the leak was coming from around the rim, can't be a nail in the tread then can it? I think I'd have just aired it up again and sent her to the tire store or MINI dealer.

BTW, if it had runflats, it does not have a spare tire - that's why it has runflats........

The wheel was just stuck on the hub, a common occurence. The fix is a big hammer that you bounce off the edge of the tire on one side and then the other to work it loose, then clean and lube the hub before you put it back on.

New cars, huh? Always something different.........

Old 01-24-2008, 02:21 PM
tony1athome
3rd Gear
And, depending on the model, there might not be a spare. If there is one, it's under the boot.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You missed the part about corrosion. My best guess is the wheel was corroded onto the hub. The wheels are hub-centric & any corrosion makes them a PITA to remove. I've had to use a sledge on the inside of the wheel to break them free. Make sure the car is supported safely before trying the sledgomatic. Once the wheel is off use a bit of anti-seize or even grease on the hub center.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:38 PM
dcsmini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by tony1athome
And, depending on the model, there might not be a spare. If there is one, it's under the boot.
Where is this boot that you speak of? There was some sort of cover/hole in the bumper; I tried to put the key in there to open the trunk. Would that release the tire from underneath? I did look for a minute with my flash light under the car; I didn't see a tire.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:46 PM
tony1athome
3rd Gear
Boot == trunk

Welcome to MINI-land, we speak the Queen's English here. :smile:

Sounds like you had the run-flats and no spare.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:48 PM
dcsmini
1st Gear
Where the battery is?

Old 01-24-2008, 02:51 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
under the carpeting. pull up and check below.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:52 PM
JCWGrover
4th Gear
When all else fails, the owners manual should be located in the glovebox!

Old 01-24-2008, 02:55 PM
True Joy
3rd Gear
Where is this boot that you speak of? There was some sort of cover/hole in the bumper; I tried to put the key in there to open the trunk. Would that release the tire from underneath? I did look for a minute with my flash light under the car; I didn't see a tire.
The boot is the British word for trunk, just as the bonnet is what we would call the hood. Was this lady's car a MINI Cooper (MC) or a MINI Cooper S (MCS, the "S" meaning Supercharged)? Based on what you told us, all you found was a battery in the boot. That said, this one is an MCS. The supercharger took up more space under the bonnet, so the designers placed the battery in the boot. In an MC, which has no supercharger, the battery is located under the bonnet, leaving space in the boot for a spare tire. Since the MCS has the battery in the boot, MINI compensated for lack of a spare tire by providing run flat tires.

So, when are you getting one?

Last edited by True Joy; 01-24-2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Spelling correction.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:58 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JCWGrover
good suggestion with international lingo "glovebox"

Old 01-24-2008, 03:04 PM
dcsmini
1st Gear
That is more of the treatment I would have expected. If someone told me they couldn't change a tire on a Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Nissan.... I would think they were not very manly to say the least. I guess that is why I was so embarrassed. I thought with a small car like that, I could change the tire in less than 10 minutes.

And to address the smart *** comment that you did make, I did look in the manual. It showed some spring clip and a lifting tool for the spare tire. Under self inflicted pressure, I couldn't figure out where the spare tire was. I did look under the rug and the cover to find a battery.

I really don't blame you for the smart *** comment. If I was in the know, I feel like I would heap it on too.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:10 PM
JCWGrover
4th Gear
Wasn't meant to be smart ***, was meant to be helpful, much as my 1st post was. It is surprising at the amount of people who never even look at the owners manual. Also never really understood why so many Owner's manuals show up for sale on Ebay, and how many cars on a used car lot are without them, considering how important of a role they provide

(PS, Been dealing with vehicles for many years, foreign, domestic, classic and collector, I've never been to proud to read the manual)

Last edited by JCWGrover; 01-24-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Don't feel bad - it's not readily apparent that the MINI Cooper S, aka MCS has runflats and no spare. I'll bet the battery in the boot/trunk really threw you. By far the most baffling is the stuck wheel. Common for the MINI, but not for the general populace.

The proper advice has already been stated here - a good couple of kicks/BFH and a 2x4/dead blow hammer will get the wheel off. I wouldn't have known had I not been reading this site for 2 years before I got my MINI. Definitely lightly grease the hub once it's off.

So have her come back, and show her that not only are you manly, but you have retained the ability to learn as well!

Old 01-24-2008, 03:16 PM
dcsmini
1st Gear
Wasn't meant to be smart ***, was meant to be helpful, much as my 1st post was. It is surprising at the amount of people who never even look at the owners manual. Also never really understood why so many Owner's manuals show up for sale on Ebay, and how many cars on a used car lot are without them, considering how important of a role they provide
I appreciate your support. I did mention in my original post me going to the manual. I'm not mad; you people have actually made me feel better. Thanks again.

Yes it was a S version.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:21 PM
dcsmini
1st Gear
And another thing, I haven't had a chance to drive a Mini yet. I did drive it to my shop (75ft). I have to do a u-turn to get in my shop door. Too sharp to make it without backing up (even in the Mini). I went to put it in reverse and it kept trying to go forward. I, after stalling three times and inching ever closer to the post of my shop, had to turn on the dome light and find out reverse is not in the "normal" position.

I still want to drive one bad to determine if I want to purchase one as bad as I think.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Unfortunately, for a small car the MINI doesn't have a very tight turning radius. Probably due to the ability to use 7" wide rims.

The reverse has a pretty stiff lockout, too. My wife has to use both hands to 'get it in gear'.
Good luck with getting a test drive - any dealers near you?

Old 01-24-2008, 05:43 PM
JCWGrover
4th Gear
I had a H3LL of a time getting the tires off the first time I tried. And the runflats have been known to leak around the rim. Tire shop can sometimes remedy it by breaking the bead, and using sealant between thr bead and the rim.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:15 PM
mauberley
6th Gear
There was some sort of cover/hole in the bumper; I tried to put the key in there to open the trunk.
I don't think anyone's pointed this out; this is the cover for the tow hook receptacle. Just something to keep in mind for next time.

I'm pretty confident that if you test drive a MINI it will only amplify your desire for one

Old 01-24-2008, 07:45 PM
dcsmini
1st Gear
Tow hook, I would have never figured that out.

Is there a bunch of other stuff that is totally different about the Mini that people wouldn't expect?

Old 01-24-2008, 07:53 PM
lilruffcat
6th Gear
the owners manual..
well..
i spent a good hour.. one day.. trying to get under the hood of my car.. i was on the ground looking up under the dash for the hood release.. grabbed the good old owners manual.. and read.. thinking what in sam heck! yeah then i realized.. the manual.. was actually telling me to open the hood by the release on the drivers side..
that being side.. drivers side of a British car.. lo and behold there it was.. right where it should be.. on the passenger side lmmfao

Old 01-24-2008, 08:02 PM
dcsmini
1st Gear
Wow, I had no idea! I kind of half way noticed when looking for the boot release that I didn't even know how to open the bonnet.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Look at that, 8 posts and you're already saying 'bonnet'.

The MINI comes with a booklet of Idiosyncracies about the MINI - I'll post 'em when I find it.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:11 PM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Wow, I had no idea! I kind of half way noticed when looking for the boot release that I didn't even know how to open the bonnet.

You're making progress!! You called it a "bonnet" and not "the hood"!

You'll be prepared to motor amongst us very soon. Get to a dealer quick. This desire does not diminish...it only increases until a) you get one, b) your family has you committed, or c) we find you balled up in a corner, rocking yourself, sucking your thumb, and crying!

Oh! - and be warned....many 2 and 3 MINI families are out there....simply because the love and passion for these little cars is irresistable!

Quick Reply: Embarrassing Moment