Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

SSR Comp Wheel Center Caps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:30 AM
cpayne
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SSR Comp Wheel Center Caps?

Gents..what are you or not running on your SSR Comp wheels? I have heard that the center caps you get from Tirerack are not only expensive..but can melt on the track and a known to fall off on the street.

What can you use to protect/hide the hubs from rusting etc?

Thx!

Last edited by cpayne; 01-25-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:48 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
paint the hub using engine enamel paint.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:21 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by cpayne
Gents..what are you or not running on your SSR Comp wheels? I have heard that the center caps you get from Tirerack are not only expensive..but can melt on the track and a known to fall off on the street.

What can you use to protect/hide the hubs from rusting etc?

Thx!
Two concerns-

First, if you track your MINI then with any wheel you can remove the center caps and leave them off so nothing will damage them especially heat. You only need to worry about the centering rings which can be alloy metal and won't give any problems from heat. If you leave the center caps on then watch for any problems and inspect them between sessions and after the event. I have not seen trouble from heat but I don't run on long tracks.

Second, the MINI hub tends to rust. Even aftermarket hubs will rust. Or do you mean the rotors? They also rust. Painting them does help until the paint chips off or if the paint doesn't tolerate the heat from heavy braking then rust will return to some extent. You can use brake paint or any engine paint that withstands high heat. Paint with brush is fine.

Stock MINI rotors are painted a gray and do OK at least for the first few years. Aftermarket rotors can be Zinc plated to help reduce rust but eventually time and heat does wear off the plating enough and the rotor will rust. A little rust is OK. I find that rain tends to increase corosion on brakes and rotors.