Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Chinese vs German

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 01:04 PM
mcsmike
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chinese vs German

I ordered my new Eagle F1 GS-D3s from tire rack and am I little annoyed. After viewing all the information about getting chinese instead of german tires I decieded to call ask. I called tire rack and was put through to their customer service. I asked to make sure my tires were ones that are made in germany and the nice young lady assured me that the tires were indeed made in germany. Low and behold I recieve my tires today with MADE IN CHINA printed right on the side I quickly called and apparently they are now all made in china.
Should I be worried about this? I heard rumors that the chinese are not as well made. I also heard that they have lower load ratings

Thanks

Mike

Old 01-25-2008, 03:10 PM
UKCoopeR
5th Gear
for the load rating part, it should say on the tire what the load rating is

Old 01-25-2008, 03:39 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
I think the subject has been well discussed before in other threads.

Chinese vs German vs any other country of manufacture?

Good question. Not sure why we are so worried about a particular country if the tire is produced to the same specification (load rating and speed rating/tread rating) as always which it should be. However if you do every see very different ratings on the sidewalls and different pricing then be careful about any tire purchase.

It's likely that Goodyear stands behind their products and knows that each factory will need enough quality control to meet the brand name standards. It would hurt Goodyear not to ensure that level of product especially for a visible and popular product as the Eagle F1 GS-D3. Interestingly I recently read the sidewall on one and in very very small print there was GS-D3 and all there was on the sidewall in big print was Goodyear Eagle F1.

When tire tests are done they use the tires that are available. The past tests were done using tires made in Germany most likely. Any newer tests will have to be done with Chinese made tires so be on the lookout for any change in the results.

For those that are using the newly made GS-D3, see what you think and report how it's working for you under a variety of conditions.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:58 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
I recently bought a set of Taylormade R7 cgb irons ($1300 jst for the irons) and Burner woods etc to complete the set total retail is well over $2000 which is the high end for golf clubs..... they are made in China.

China has some of the most advanced factories in the world and they also have cottage indusry. You can get about any quality you want produced in China. The bigger issue these days is time of fullfillment. I would not be concerned about country of origin.... LG and Samsung are the two largest producers of plasma screens and lcd displays and they are Korean but there is a stigma against korean cars..... the most important thing in my view is the company that stands in front of and behind the product.... Goodyear is a pretty good brand.... best of luck,

Bbob

Old 01-25-2008, 04:12 PM
donato
3rd Gear
This happened to me a few days ago. Check this thread and the one above it that starts off saying "problem solved"

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=126709

Old 01-25-2008, 10:50 PM
jay80424
3rd Gear
Well, I hope they have better QC in the tire factory than at the airport: From a friend of mine.

this is interesting.

For anybody who is not familiar with a jet engine, a jet fan blade should be perfectly smooth. A pilot for a Chinese carrier requested permission and landed at FRA (Frankfurt, Germany) for an unscheduled refueling stop. The reason became soon apparent to the ground crew: The Number 3 engine had been shut down previously because of excessive vibration, and because it didn't look too good. It had appare ntly been no ! problem for the tough guys back in China: as they took some sturdy straps and wrapped them around two of the fan blades and the structures behind, thus stopping any unwanted wind-milling (engine spinning by itself due to airflow passing thr u the blades during flight) and associated uncomfortable vibration caused by the suboptimal fan.

Note that the straps are seat-belts....how resourceful! After making the "repairs", off they went into the wild blue yonder with another revenue-making flight on only three engines! With the increased fuel consumption, they got a bit low on fuel, and just set it down at the closest airport (FRA) for a quick refill.
That's when the problems started: The German! s, who are kind of picky about this stuff, inspected the malfunctioning engine and immediately grounded the aircraft. (Besides the seat-belts, notice the appalling condition of the fan blades.) The airline operator had to send a chunk of money to get the first engine replaced (took about 10 days). The repair contractor decided to do some impromptu inspection work on the other engines, none of which looked all that great either. The result: a total of 3 engines were eventually changed on this plane before it was permitted to fly again.

And you were worried about lead paint?

Last edited by jay80424; 01-25-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:09 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when did this happen as i am interested to know...

Old 01-26-2008, 06:21 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by minihune
Any newer tests will have to be done with Chinese made tires so be on the lookout for any change in the results.

For those that are using the newly made GS-D3, see what you think and report how it's working for you under a variety of conditions.
+1

the sumitomo's on my MCS right now are made in the phillipines. they are great
so far.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:24 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
That engine story is a bit of an internet myth, been floating around for about 10 years now.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:59 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gnatster
That engine story is a bit of an internet myth, been floating around for about 10 years now.
10 years is A VERY LONG TIME for China... i can recognize about 10% of Shanghai... things have changed... ALOT