Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

R56 Brake Fade

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:12 AM
BoomerMCS
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 Brake Fade

Went to a Winter Driver Skills Day put on by the PCA. During the threshold braking exercise, after about the 4th run, brake fade got progressively worse. Back in Sept. went to a track day and while I had some fade later in the day during 20 min. sessions, it wasn't too bad.

Objective is to reduce fade without going to a BBK. I'll be replacing the wheels and tires if I can ever make up my mind on a light weight wheel.

My thought is to go to S.S. brake lines, new fluid and better pads.

Called S.A. at my Mini dealer and they don't carry S.S. lines, the brake fluid they use is a Dot 4 Castrol (no other identifier) and they only carry stock pads.

Thought is to go to Helix SS lines, EBC red stuff pads, and Castrol SRF fluid (hope this isn't the stock fluid mini uses.)

Will this reduce fade or should I just wait and save for a BBK? Would appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:21 AM
Straius
2nd Gear
If you don't mind a newbie question... what is brake fade?

Old 01-31-2008, 08:37 AM
benfica09
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Straius
If you don't mind a newbie question... what is brake fade?
http://www.promini.com/technical/tec..._explained.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fade

Old 01-31-2008, 09:01 AM
BoomerMCS
2nd Gear
Simple explaination. Increased pedal travel, reduce pedal feel, requires more pedal force by the driver, all caused by excessive heat.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:21 AM
jasonsmf
5th Gear
You can increase the capacity of the brakes quite a bit without going for the big brake kit. My guess is you simply exceeded the ideal temperature range for the OEM pads. Upgrading to a high performance pad like you have mentioned will do wonders to get rid of your brake fade.

S.S. lines will do very little to help your brake fade issue, although they do improve brake "feel", a firmer pedal.

Unless your brake fade was caused by actually boiling the brake fluid (pedal drops straight to the floor with no reistance), the high dollar fluid has nothing to offer you. Castrol SRF is pretty much the most expensive fluid that you can find, this is most likely overkill.

Fresh fluid is a good idea to go along with your brake work though, I'd recomend something like ATE super blue, or Motul RBF600, or even Valvoline Synpower. I just don't see any return on your investment for the SRF fluid.

Jason

Old 01-31-2008, 09:31 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
This will help reduce the fade issue but depending upon the amount of time you propose to spend on the track it may prove a bandaide to the issue and money not well spent.

For the occasional user bumping up the pads will help with the quick fade but then taxing the system more will only elevate the problem to the next level; boiling fluid, burnt seals, heat scored rotors....I often refer to this as a "brake enhancement package" as that's what it is; better pads, slotted rotors perhaps, fresh fluid and hoses. All good things and maximizing the oem system.

Where it gets tricky is cost. If you wrap up $400 in all this only to have the problem again at the next level you'd have been half way to the cost of a popular BBK. Now you'll have spent the $400 already and still need to fork out the $900+.

Don't overlook the long term investment value of the BBK. As they say; stepping over a dollar to save a dime. Figure out your true needs and spend accordingly.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:41 PM
NoModMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BoomerMCS
Went to a Winter Driver Skills Day put on by the PCA. During the threshold braking exercise, after about the 4th run, brake fade got progressively worse. Back in Sept. went to a track day and while I had some fade later in the day during 20 min. sessions, it wasn't too bad.

Objective is to reduce fade without going to a BBK. I'll be replacing the wheels and tires if I can ever make up my mind on a light weight wheel.

My thought is to go to S.S. brake lines, new fluid and better pads.

Called S.A. at my Mini dealer and they don't carry S.S. lines, the brake fluid they use is a Dot 4 Castrol (no other identifier) and they only carry stock pads.

Thought is to go to Helix SS lines, EBC red stuff pads, and Castrol SRF fluid (hope this isn't the stock fluid mini uses.)

Will this reduce fade or should I just wait and save for a BBK? Would appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.

..if you have not replaced the brake fluid since the fade experienced on the earlier track day you refer to , i suggest that would be my first move....eventually fade will return with continued hard braking even with new fluid in a stock street set up....i use ATE super blue religously and change it before the track season every year, this on a Porsche in which i learned the hard way

Old 01-31-2008, 01:20 PM
BoomerMCS
2nd Gear
Thanks toddtce. It's what I thought when I started thinking about upgrading the individual parts.

It might be better to just wait till I have the money and do a good BBK supplemented with rear pads and SS rear lines.

My plan is to do BMWCCA, PCA, and PSMini car control clinics and track days.
May try my hand at SoloII but I really just enjoy being on the track and taking the clinics to try to improve my driving skills.

Had seriously considered your Plus 3 or Plus 4 kits but my first priority is getting lighter wheels and better non-run flat tires.

I may just get the fluid changed for now since I"m signed up for a clinic on March 1 and a track day on March 16 with the BMW club.

Thanks again to everybody for the replies.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Straius
2nd Gear
Thanks for answering my newbie Q