Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Ask for the extra set (the stockers) --

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 06:12 AM
exile
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ask for the extra set (the stockers) --

Just curious about your experience.

I know you can save $$$ by taking delivery of a MINI with the stock wheels and tires then going aftermarket for the ones you really wanted.

I'm also only guessing that the JCW wheels come to the dealer separate and they throw them on (correct me if I'm wrong here.)

When I got my WRX, the dealer had put the OZ SuperLegs on it, and I told him, when closing the deal, "Oh, I want the stock wheels and tires too. I'll pick them up tomorrow." They resisted a bit, but I won. I didn't win much, as they were RE92s, but having an extra set was nice.

So did anyone walk out with the stockers and the upgrades?

I'm also wondering a set of wheels and tires will fit in the back......

(Haven't ordered yet. Waiting on divine intervention to pick color, and that drives the wheel decision)

Old 02-10-2008, 06:53 AM
AllBlack05S
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got the 2 current ones used and the first one back when they all were special ordered and came in the way you took them, so I never tried that.

I do know that 4 17"x7" wheels will just fit standing on edge in their boxes on the back of the back seats. If you try it with tires bag them and go in from the front or you'll probably have trouble getting them in and standing them on edge.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:55 AM
misslindsey
5th Gear
The only thing I can tell you is that at least 4 wheels/tyres will fit in the boot. I did it (again) just a couple weeks ago. I had 4 wheels/tyres and one extra tire (a small one) in the boot at one time and there was still room for them to bounce around.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:19 AM
STLMINI
6th Gear
If you buy a separate set of wheels that are dealer installed you should be able to get your "stock" wheels no problem. You paid for both, you should get both.

I think this is a pretty standard operating procedure as there are a lot of people here selling their stock wheels and tires.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:50 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by STLMINI
If you buy a separate set of wheels that are dealer installed you should be able to get your "stock" wheels no problem. You paid for both, you should get both.

I think this is a pretty standard operating procedure as there are a lot of people here selling their stock wheels and tires.
Not always. Many owners in my area upgrade wheels and don't get the stock wheels back. You need to negotiate and ask for them too.

Usually the stock wheels are held by the dealership and sold on the side.

And you usually can pay full price for the wheel upgrades. Not unlike moving from stock 16" wheels to stock 17" wheels from the factory. If it is dealer installed 17" or 18" wheels then ask for the stock wheels back.

Some owners don't have space to store the stock wheels and don't want them but they don't get credit either.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:44 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
Well said and true if you pay an upgrade price. Also, if you don't ask, of course the dealer is going to keep them. The same applies to anything that doesn't require a core exchange. JCW kits whether they be suspension, stage 1, steering wheel etc don't require the exchange therefore if you ask you should get all your standard parts back.

If you are paying what MINIUSAs site says or your dealer isn't offering you a price that requires that your original or standard parts stay with them you aren't paying for an upgrade (strict definition) and you should get your parts.

My sales guy said they throw out the standard parts that get "upgraded." I can't imagine that that's not the case.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:21 PM
misslindsey
5th Gear
I knew "a guy" who took the take-offs from the Honda/Acura dealer he worked at and sold them on Ebay. He claimed they gave them to him because they wouldn't sell them as new, and didn't want to bother with storing/selling them.