Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

S owners, no spare; Need tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 01:07 PM
PuppetMaster2u
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S owners, no spare; Need tire advice

Good Afternoon, Lots of questions here folks - I apologize in advance..

I have a 2006 Mini Cooper S cabrio w/ stock Goodyear Eagle RS 205/45 R17 84V runflats that are at and/or slightly past their wearmarks - so I need to get new tires for it. I have a stock suspension with no plans to lower it, and no plans to autocross it. The Mini stays garaged 100% when it snows (or is forecasted to snow) and is only driven in the rain when I get caught out in it on long road trips.

The current Goodyears, as far as I can tell, handle the corners better than any car/tire I've ever had - so I love it, because I love to drive in a "spirited" fashion - and go down to The Dragon several times a year. I don't want to lose any "traction"; but I wouldn't say I need any MORE traction either - although I would like to get a little more tire life out of the tires than 18,000 miles? Ya know what I mean? I guess I'd love to get better mileage out of the next set of tires - but not at the cost of losing traction.

And as I said earlier, I currently have runflat tires on it & don't mind them at all as far as the "rough ride" that everyone suggests is a problem w/ runflats. I like the ride b/c I don't know any different I s'pose?

My main questions and/or decisions here are - to runflat, or NOT to runflat? And which tires?

Does slime & a compressor really work? Having a cabrio - I'd HATE to get stuck somewhere being an avid motorer(sp). Have any of you had any experiences w a flat tire on your non-runflats and trying to fit it w/ slime and a compressor? That's my concern...I dunwanna leave my cabrio on the side of the road somewhere!?

If to NOT runflat: what tire options would you suggest?

If TO runflat: what tire options would you suggest?

Thanks a ton for all your help in advance!
Carl

Old 02-19-2008, 01:20 PM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the slime compressor kit in my MCS. I've used the compressor but haven't had to use the slime yet. But I have plugged a few hole with a dynaplug and used the compressor to re-inflate the tire. Seems to work well for me.

http://www.dynaplug.com/domestic.html

Old 02-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Modshack
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by golden_child
I have the slime compressor kit in my MCS. I've used the compressor but haven't had to use the slime yet. But I have plugged a few hole with a dynaplug and used the compressor to re-inflate the tire. Seems to work well for me.

http://www.dynaplug.com/domestic.html
I also have a Conti "Comfort Kit" in the boot. It's an integrated compressor and sealant injector. Very slick. Between that and the Dynaplugs I'm covered.

just ditched the Horrid Runflats for a better tire at a fraction of the price. the car is so much better you wouldn't believe. (Nitto Neogens). Just because the Runflats are "OK" to you doesn't mean the car can't be a whole lot better..

Get the Comfort Kit at http://www.tirerack.com

Old 02-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Diploman
3rd Gear
I second Modshack's advice. I have the same setup.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:43 PM
ChiliPepperS
2nd Gear
Pitch the runflats and don't look back!

Old 02-19-2008, 04:57 PM
chili_red07
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Modshack
I also have a Conti "Comfort Kit" in the boot. It's an integrated compressor and sealant injector. Very slick. Between that and the Dynaplugs I'm covered.

Get the Comfort Kit at http://www.tirerack.com
Woah, that Comfort Kit is sweet! Have you had to use it?

Old 02-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Modshack
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chili_red07
Woah, that Comfort Kit is sweet! Have you had to use it?

Haven't used it yet! Just got the car and switched over to Non-runflats...

Old 02-19-2008, 05:15 PM
hohod
2nd Gear
Since you're happy with the performance of the runflats, my vote is to stick with them. Peace of mind is priceless. If you go to a non-runflat, be aware that some switchers have reported a loss of the crisp turn-in they had with runflats, which is a benefit of the extra stiff sidewall construction of runflats.

Biggest drawback to staying with runflats is their replacement cost, but a lot of takeoffs come up for sale here at much better prices than buying from a dealer.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:46 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm a HUGE fan of non-runflats... my runflats lasted about 18K also, and I'm much happier with my two sets of non-runflats (a summer set and an all-season set).

I recently got a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Seasons (there are lots of different F1's... only one called All Season) and they ROCK... outstanding traction, very long treadwear rating, quiet, good ride, look good, and very "square" profile for good cornering. These tires come on some new Corvettes... size 215/45ZR17... a bit wider than stock, no rubbing, more aggressive. All good...

I also have a set of Kumho Ecsta SPT in the same size - much less expensive, but not as awesome as the Goodyears...

And, yeah, compressor + slime + plug kit and you should be good to go the vast majority of the time... I've driven on a zero PSI runflat, and it is NOT something I would want to do for more than 5 miles EVER... not all it's cracked up to be... I'd rather have the ability to repair a tire and get it back up to pressure (and then be able to drive forever), vs. drive around on a flat runflat...

Last edited by BlimeyCabrio; 02-19-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:18 PM
the_red_car
2nd Gear
I'm high risk!

Kumho's on 17's... I'll just have to carry the car to the tire shop when it's flat. Dunno if I want to start the whole "unsprung" wheel weight conversation. Runflats are a tad heavy.

Can't add anything else new that hasn't already been said!

Old 02-19-2008, 06:24 PM
jimz68
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Instead of Slime, I carry a Dynaplug kit and a compressor.

http://www.dynaplug.com/

Jim

Old 02-20-2008, 05:24 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Since you like the runflats, you might want to look at the Continental ContiProContact SSR. I got them for my wife's '05 in 195/55-16 size about a month ago and they seem to be a nice tire. Tread wear rating is 400.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:00 AM
PuppetMaster2u
4th Gear
So carrying a compressor, slime and plug kit -- is plugging a tire difficult? How long do the plugs last?

Old 02-21-2008, 05:02 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PuppetMaster2u
So carrying a compressor, slime and plug kit -- is plugging a tire difficult? How long do the plugs last?
Easy, as long as you can find the offending object... which usually isn't too hard... pull it out with pliers, put a dynaplug in the tool, push it into the hole, pull it back out... inflate... done... faster than changing a tire (usually)... usually lasts forever in my experience...

Old 02-21-2008, 08:03 AM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
I carry the slime compressor kit and a regular plug kit. I've plugged tires on my other car before, and it's not much of a hassle (provided you can find the hole or object). Last month, I had to use the slime kit as it was dark, wet, and snowy, and had no clue why my tire was flat after I came out of a restaurant. Worked just fine and as expected. Nice that it fits in the side panel of the boot as well:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ight=slime+kit

Old 02-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
here's an idea

conti comfort kit + plug kit of your choice.

I would sugest having the tire dismounted and repaired as soon as possible, Plugging is only a temporary fix.

If you can't locate the puncture, then as a last ditch effort use the sealant.

FYI - if you have metal vale stems and TPMS - ANY sealant you add to a tire and wheel will render that sensor inoperative.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:25 PM
Modnar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack

I would sugest having the tire dismounted and repaired as soon as possible, Plugging is only a temporary fix.

FYI - if you have metal vale stems and TPMS - ANY sealant you add to a tire and wheel will render that sensor inoperative.
His car's old enough that he's not going to have to worry about the dreaded TPMS valve stem sensors. Slime away!

Old 02-25-2008, 04:14 PM
locogringo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack

Slime is claiming that there sealant is compatible with direct TPMS sensors. Have you found that to be not the case? I haven't bought a Slime kit because of the uncertainty.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:50 PM
NJP
3rd Gear
Be careful if you have the tire sensors on your RFs, you can't use the ContiComfort kit.
NJP