Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Need suggestions for shipping wheels/tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Augie05
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Need suggestions for shipping wheels/tires

Hello everyone,

I have a nearly new (about 6 months old) set of 17 inch OZ UL wheels and Bridgestone tires that I plan to sell from my Audi A4. I plan to you the proceeds to buy a new set of wheels/tires for my three week old R56.

I have been trying to sell the wheels/tires locally but I have had little interest. My next steps are to post in a few national Audi forums similar to this one.

Any suggestions on how I should "package" these up to ship? I don't want to scratch them any as they are in perfect, like new condition right now.

Also, who do you suggest I use for the shipping company? Maybe FedEx ground?

Thanks.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Chappy
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Augie,

When I got my new wheels, they came individually packaged with cardboard on both sides, banded down with 2 straps each, full of air, and ready to bolt on. The outside of the wheel had a soft piece of something between the wheel and the cardboard, nothing fancy.

I don't remember if it was FedEx or UPS ground, sorry.

Good luck.
Chappy

Old 02-21-2008, 03:19 PM
bean
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go to your local tire/wheel dealer and get some appropriately si ed boxes. add some extra cardboard on the good side. i've done it a few times w/ no problems. ups ground is probably your cheapest rate, but you can check this online once you have them packaged and have a good idea of shipping weight.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:30 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bean
go to your local tire/wheel dealer and get some appropriately si ed boxes. add some extra cardboard on the good side. i've done it a few times w/ no problems. ups ground is probably your cheapest rate, but you can check this online once you have them packaged and have a good idea of shipping weight.
I've done this a number of times. Ditto double cardboard on the good side. If they have center caps and lugs you could package them separately, just remember to factor them into the shipping charge. I've used FedEx exclusively as their rates seem to be best, at least from my area.

Good Luck.....Les

Old 02-21-2008, 07:34 PM
EllaJeanLumpkins
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Chappy
Augie,

When I got my new wheels, they came individually packaged with cardboard on both sides, banded down with 2 straps each, full of air, and ready to bolt on. The outside of the wheel had a soft piece of something between the wheel and the cardboard, nothing fancy.

I don't remember if it was FedEx or UPS ground, sorry.

Good luck.
Chappy
Every set of wheels I've ever purchased mail order came packaged like this and nothing has ever been scratched. Get yourself many sheets of cardboard, a roll of sheet foam used for packing, a razor knife and a strapping gun (you can get a hand held strapping gun at a bigger tool shop) and you're all set.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Hngn on n the psnger seat
6th Gear
For shipping there was this thread a few months ago.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:44 AM
leo@edgeracing.com
Banned
Make sure you use foam on the face of the wheel. If not you will cause box burn on the wheels which will make the person who is buying your wheels a bit angry. I hear DHL is the cheapest for shipping.

Leo Barrios
leo@edgeracing.com
800-489-5353 x211
http://www.edgeracing.com

Old 02-22-2008, 10:43 AM
hohod
2nd Gear
I've bought two sets of wheels off NAM. Both sets shipped from the East Coast to California and arrived in perfect condition. One set was shipped in two U-Haul shipping boxes. The box dimensions are 19.5x19.5x17.5 and each held two 16x6.5 wheels with room for extra cardboard inserted on all sides, top, bottom, and between the wheels. Your 17s should fit, maybe a little more snugly.

The other set shipped via Greyhound Package Xpress which was discussed in the link someone else posted. It was packed in a single box, I think also from a do it yourself moving company. I don't have this box anymore, but it was just as good a fit as the U-Haul boxes, approximate dimensions of 19.5x19.5x35.0. About $70 to ship cross country (weight dependent). Both you and the buyer have to be near a Greyhound depot, because you have to take your package to the station and the buyer has to pick up from the station. I also discovered that the station where I picked up from is literally a bus stop with a shed that serves as the ticket office, waiting room, and baggage room, and no parking zones all around. Tip: bring a hand truck or dolly if you are dropping off or picking up.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:04 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the size of the box could change based on the tire size you have on...
just a thought. i think tirerack even sells return packaging kit.

ask alex. it's like $20.