Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:18 PM
drsilvermini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Rotors

I was wondering if anybody had ever heard of magnum brake rotors(good or bad) or had any experience with them. They seem to be pretty inexpensive, and i have never heard of them so i was wondering if they were good and reliable. Also, does anybody have any inexpensive alternatives to a big brake kit? Or an inexpensive way to get some better braking?

Old 03-15-2008, 09:28 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by drsilvermini
I was wondering if anybody had ever heard of magnum brake rotors(good or bad) or had any experience with them. They seem to be pretty inexpensive, and i have never heard of them so i was wondering if they were good and reliable. Also, does anybody have any inexpensive alternatives to a big brake kit? Or an inexpensive way to get some better braking?
I have not heard of Magnum. One problem with cheap rotors is they may rust easily if they don't have any finish on them. OEM rotors are at least painted on the center area and that usually holds up.

Brembo rotors sometimes are not finished but some are.

For brake upgrades-
You can just start with a basic upgrade of:
Brake pads especially if you have an older model- it's more limited if you have JCW brakes or if you have an R56.
Hawk makes many brake pads for the older MINIs.
You can also upgrade brake fluid or get caliper stiffeners or stainless steel brake lines. Best is pads first, change the rotors (OEM ones will work fine) if worn.

Then you can consider various brake upgrades beyond just pads-
http://www.tceperformanceproducts.co...s.pl?record=13
Some of these brake upgrades are lighter than stock for additional benefit.

Don't forget the rear brakes.

Large big brake kits can require more wheel clearance, just keep that in mind. If you already have a 17" wheel then you will likely have more room to work with.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:39 PM
zoom760
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll give you an honest answer...Big brakes are good but not required unless your doing competition racing. However, if you go the big brake route then I recommend Wilwood and the price range is affordable ($995-$1195). I have a JCW and these brakes are not worth buying because of the cost and is only a 2 piston caliper. Bottomline, I recommend only changing your rotors all around or just the fronts to Stoptech or Power Slot cross-drilled with ceramin Akebono in the front and ceramic Hawk for the rear. Note the Akebono will enable you to use the brake sensor which is a must especially for the FRONT because the back is not required. As long as the front has a workable sensor your good to go. Keep in mind, cross-drilled rotors help cool your braking system and worth the $ along with better pads. Therefore, I recommend you to upgrade your rotors and pads. This set up will work for street and track use easily.