Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

the ssr gt1 look

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 09:38 PM
Nomonstersinme
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i found these wheels.. that are very similar to the ssr gt1s.. which i like very much.
they are Nakayama Phantom GT-Rs. not even sure if they come in 4 lug yet... just want to know what you guys know about this manufacturer and if they make quality wheels?

there are a bunch of other wheels that look like the gt1s but they have studs or screw-like things all around the rim that looks stupid.

Old 07-29-2003, 09:43 PM
mikehome1
3rd Gear
I realize you didn't like the Wheelmax design;but don't even think of buying from heelmax,without PMing me.

Old 07-29-2003, 09:43 PM
EliteCooperS
5th Gear
sweet im very interested as i really like the SSR GT1 look!

Old 07-29-2003, 09:44 PM
Bk_MCS
5th Gear
Nokoffama Phantom GT-Rs you say. I hate it when people rip wheel designs! Go with the original!

Old 07-29-2003, 09:52 PM
Nomonstersinme
5th Gear
>>Nokoffama Phantom GT-Rs you say. I hate it when people rip wheel designs! Go with the original!

honey if i could afford the original, believe me, i would...

Old 07-29-2003, 09:53 PM
EliteCooperS
5th Gear
>>>>Nokoffama Phantom GT-Rs you say. I hate it when people rip wheel designs! Go with the original!
>>
>>honey if i could afford the original, believe me, i would...

yup i know! same here

Old 07-30-2003, 03:39 PM
rfibanez
Banned
Nice wheels

Old 07-30-2003, 03:58 PM
red03miniS
Banned
save some more than buy the SSR

Old 07-30-2003, 04:16 PM
perfpow
3rd Gear
The SSR GT1s in this picture are 18"x7.5". We sell them for $338.00.
PerfPow
http://www.perfectpowerinc.com

Old 07-30-2003, 05:28 PM
mcs22004
5th Gear
>>The SSR GT1s in this picture are 18"x7.5". We sell them for $338.00.
>>PerfPow
>>http://www.perfectpowerinc.com

What about strength? Those don't seem like they would stand up to the crappy roads we have here in the east. What wheel is a good combo between strength and light weight?

Old 07-30-2003, 05:32 PM
nfo
6th Gear
if you're looking for light weight, those hamann's aren't your wheel!
they are really heavy, but surely make up for it in fine azz looks!

Old 07-30-2003, 05:45 PM
mcs22004
5th Gear
>>i found these wheels.. that are very similar to the ssr gt1s.. which i like very much.
>>they are Nakayama Phantom GT-Rs. not even sure if they come in 4 lug yet... just want to know what you guys know about this manufacturer and if they make quality wheels?
>>

Hmmmm. Those wheels aren't exceedingly less expensive than $338.00 per rim, if you exclude the tire packages, but they're probably lower quality.

Old 07-30-2003, 05:55 PM
red03miniS
Banned
perfow--wow 338 is a cheap deal for good quality rims

thats a great deal! i think anything under 1K per rim for quality is good :smile:

mcs-any reason u attached hte pics of my car? were you interested in those rims? if so i will tell you, they look great and are reputable built just like the SSR

but nfo is mistaken..they are not as heavy as he makes it out to be. sure they are not hte ultimate for the auto-x...but they will save you about 11lbs each corner over 17 inch runflats.

thats said, i bought them for the look and the deep dish. :smile:

any other questions please feel free to PM me, i would be happy to help

Old 07-30-2003, 05:55 PM
perfpow
3rd Gear
The SSR GT1 is a forged wheel. I don't know if the replica GT1 is forged or cast. For a forging, the price is actually quite reasonable. We have cast wheels that are half the price in 18". For 16s or 17s they are even less. The forged SSR GT1 is less expensive in smaller sizes too.
PerfPow

Old 07-30-2003, 06:13 PM
dandp
6th Gear
I would agree with red03miniS....save up a little bit and get the SSR's. Makes more sense to spend the $$$ on quality once.

Old 07-30-2003, 09:29 PM
Nomonstersinme
5th Gear
>>I would agree with red03miniS....save up a little bit and get the SSR's. Makes more sense to spend the $$$ on quality once.

i think they're too light for the east.. they would probably break a million times over.. which is why i refuse to pay that price. i want the look.. not the light weight.

Old 07-30-2003, 10:20 PM
red03miniS
Banned
>>>>I would agree with red03miniS....save up a little bit and get the SSR's. Makes more sense to spend the $$$ on quality once.
>>
>>i think they're too light for the east.. they would probably break a million times over.. which is why i refuse to pay that price. i want the look.. not the light weight.

well if you want quality wheels that are "good for the east"

you should get 3 piece forged wheels. look to spend about 700-1200 each wheel.

forged=means strong

it wouldnt break a million times over. i have many a friends from lexus club that live in manhattan and drive the NYC potholed filled roads everyday

if your concerned about wheel damage and strength, i beg you not to buy imitation.

Old 07-31-2003, 12:32 AM
mightyMiniz
Banned
Ryan, Work the Team some Wheel Options!

Old 07-31-2003, 04:58 AM
dandp
6th Gear
Aaaaahhhh....wheels for the East. One of my concerns as well. While I initially wanted the OZ Racing Superleggerras (in white) , the weight concerned me a bit due to NJ / NY driving. I got the Prodrive P1's - 21 lbs ea, but according to some Scooby guys I know, they are supposed to be bulletproof. In any case, they are summer wheels. Mid November my OEM R83's go on with Blizzaks.

With a 3 piece wheel, you could replace a damaged or bent part more easily. The SSR's are forged as well. Are you looking to stick with 17"?

Total package price difference would be $800 or so between the SSR's and the Nakayama's. That's an intake and pulley upgrade for your MCS with $$$ to spare. But being forged, the SSR's are probably stronger. Lighter doesn't mean weaker necessarily.

Old 07-31-2003, 05:49 AM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
>>.... being forged, the SSR's are probably stronger. Lighter doesn't mean weaker necessarily.

Well said. Forged wheels are stronger, that's why they can be more durable and lighter at the same time. On the other hand, it's a more difficult manufacturing process, thus the higher prices.

For what it's worth, I have about 15K miles on my SSR Comps (not what you're looking at, but a good example of lightweight wheel durability - 17x7.5, 12.7 lbs) and I commute in/out of DC every M-F....potholes, etc, aplenty. Aside from being brake-dusty much of the time, they're still in great shape.

If you're worried about the effects of rough roads and can't afford forged wheels, just make sure you get something sturdy vs something spindly. If not, you may end up spending the same $ anyway....on replacements.

Old 07-31-2003, 06:25 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a point being reiterated here that I need to clear up. The construction process SSR uses is called semi solid forging. This yields much stronger results than casting.

Semi-solid forging (SSF) is a process that heats a billet of special alloy to an almost liquid state and then the aluminum is forced into a mold at a very high rate. The finished product offers mechanical properties very similar to a forged wheel without the high production and tooling costs of a forged wheel. When low weight and performance are on your priority list, the SSF technology offers an excellent value. Currently only SSR (Speed Star Racing) from Japan is licensed to use this process for the production of wheels.

Typical forging (refered to as cold forging) yields even stronger results.

Forging is the process of forcing a solid billet of aluminum between the forging dies under an extreme amount of pressure. This creates a finished product that is very dense, very strong and therefore can be very light. The costs of tooling, development, equipment, etc., make this type of wheel very exclusive and usually demand a high price in the aftermarket.

Alex

>>The SSR GT1 is a forged wheel. I don't know if the replica GT1 is forged or >>cast. For a forging, the price is actually quite reasonable. We have cast wheels >>that are half the price in 18". For 16s or 17s they are even less. The forged >>SSR GT1 is less expensive in smaller sizes too.
>>PerfPow

Old 07-31-2003, 06:30 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
>>If you're worried about the effects of rough roads and can't afford forged wheels, >>just make sure you get something sturdy vs something spindly.

>>If not, you may end up spending the same $ anyway....on replacements.

Kurv - I could not have said it better myself!

Old 07-31-2003, 08:54 AM
Nomonstersinme
5th Gear
whatever process ssr uses and no matter how strong you say they are, i cannot justify paying $350 a wheel. i just don't have that kind of money to spend on wheels.
i didnt start this thread to have people tell me to spend $350 on a wheel, i want help to find something similar that costs a lot less
i guess i'll have to keep looking then.....

Old 07-31-2003, 09:17 AM
Super_MINI
4th Gear
>>whatever process ssr uses and no matter how strong you say they are, i cannot justify paying $350 a wheel. i just don't have that kind of money to spend on wheels.
>>i guess i'll have to keep looking then.....
>>

If you like those wheels and they fit your car, I say buy them! Don't worry about quality Nakayama is a reputable company in Japan. You don't need SSR's. And what's wrong with knock off wheels? NZO Monza's anyone?

Strength? this is a common misconception... Forged rims and racing rims are made using stronger material so they can be made lighter. This does not mean that the wheel overall is stronger forged than cast. Many racing/forged rims will say they are not for street driving and for racing only. This is because they cannot handle a pot hole of any size. So a street wheel actually needs to be made stronger than a race wheel and if they are cast they will certainly weight more, but would any wheel weight as much as a 17" S-lite?

For racing, or if you just have money to blow, buy the real thing. For street use, buy whatever you can afford and whatever looks good to you.

>studs or screw-like things all around the rim that looks stupid.
Also, in case you are not aware the Screw look is another knock-off thing from the racing wheels, it's supposed to look like a 3 piece wheel so it looks more expensive than it is. 3pc forged rims can get very expensive but they are nice because you typically only have to replace one rim half if you damage your wheel.

Old 07-31-2003, 09:34 AM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Just to back up nomonsters, here...I can't possibly afford that kind of money either. It's a massive investment to spend $1000 on a set of wheels, much less spending $1500 on up. I don't think that it's outrageous to discuss non-forged wheels...

Quick Reply: the ssr gt1 look