Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

My new tires...are horrible!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:50 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My new tires...are horrible!

I just had 4 new General Tire Exlaim UHP put on the MINI yesterday that i got from tirerack. I bought these because several ppl have gave these excellent praises. Theyre also rated #1 in their class on Tirerack. I seriously think something is wrong with mine. The car now handles like a boat. It feels like i'm riding on marshmallows. I don't even feel safe driving the car. If i jerk the wheel the car sways side to side, long after I have already stopped the steering wheel.

So what could be wrong? I expected to have some loss in handling because I went to a 215/45/17, but not this much. Are the tires under-inflated at 35psi? Do they just need to be "broken in?" maybe wear the tread down a bit? I'm really distraught about how these handle. My grandmas Buick handles better than my MINI, and that just isnt right.

If its just the nature of the tire, does anyone know if NTB will do an exhange for a better tire? please help

Old 04-18-2008, 12:52 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SnYpR
I just had 4 new General Tire Exlaim UHP put on the MINI yesterday that i got from tirerack. I bought these because several ppl have gave these excellent praises. Theyre also rated #1 in their class on Tirerack. I seriously think something is wrong with mine. The car now handles like a boat. It feels like i'm riding on marshmallows. I don't even feel safe driving the car. If i jerk the wheel the car sways side to side, long after I have already stopped the steering wheel.

So what could be wrong? I expect some loss in handling because I went to a 215/45/17, but not this much. Are the tires under-inflated at 35psi? Do they just need to be "broken in?" maybe wear the tread down a bit? I'm really distraught about how these handle. My grandmas Buick handles better than my MINI, and that just isnt right.

If its just the nature of the tire, does anyone know if NTB will do an exhange for a better tire? please help
Well, being at the top of the ultra high performance category doesn't mean much anymore. Most people that are truely interested in ultimate performance go with Max Performance summer or Extreme Performance Summer tires. I seem to recall reading that the UHP's had pretty soft sidewalls, that's going to be a big difference.

If you're going from runflats to those, I can see how you would think it was mushy. Runflats are designed to hold the car up with NO pressure. Obviously that means they have incredibly stiff sidewalls.

Just for kicks, what are you running for tire pressure? This shouldn't affect the handling in the dry, but are they mounted correctly? I forget if the Exclaim UHP's are directional or not.

Edit: Just saw you have 35 PSI in them.

Are you measuring the pressure hot (After being driven) or cold (After they cool down a few hours later)? If they feel mushy, adding air pressure could help stiffen them up, although that's at the cost of traction. I run 31 front and 33 rear in my Yokohama Parada Spec-2's for the street.

Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:02 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
I was running parada spec 2...thats what just came off. I liked them but was looking for more tread life. The UHPs are directional, and theyre facing in the right direction. the 35psi was measured after i got home from work, about a 15mile trip doing 80mph...plus its about 80degrees here. The side wall states max psi 52. I'm sure i can put a bit more air in, which is what I plan to do next. I was also just touching the tread...i can push it in with my finger...so it not only handles like its on marshmallows..if feels like them too..

Old 04-18-2008, 01:12 PM
jerzrunr
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snypr - I just put the same tires on for the same reasons you did. I put 205/50 - 16s on the Xlites. They feel fine to me on spirited street turns. I'll check the pressure and give it a poke to see if mine's acting the same as yours.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:27 PM
wscruiser
3rd Gear
I've been running the same General Exclaim UHP 215/45/17 as you for a year this month, and haven't had any problems. They do have a softer, smoother ride than the runflats, but that is what I wanted. Mine handle great through the twisties; about as well as the runflats. So, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe a bad set out of a bad production run.

Just out wonder, look on the sidewall and see where the tire was made. I have 2 sets; 17 and 18. Both were made in Germany, but I have heard that General is also making them in China now.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:34 PM
6th Gear
I was running parada spec 2...thats what just came off. I liked them but was looking for more tread life. The UHPs are directional, and theyre facing in the right direction. the 35psi was measured after i got home from work, about a 15mile trip doing 80mph...plus its about 80degrees here. The side wall states max psi 52. I'm sure i can put a bit more air in, which is what I plan to do next. I was also just touching the tread...i can push it in with my finger...so it not only handles like its on marshmallows..if feels like them too..
Set your PSI to 36 front cold and 37 rear cold. Wait 4-5 hours after driving to measure. Heat can make the pressure go up 5-6 PSI or more.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:37 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts

So what could be wrong? I expected to have some loss in handling because I went to a 215/45/17, but not this much. Are the tires under-inflated at 35psi? Do they just need to be "broken in?" maybe wear the tread down a bit? I'm really distraught about how these handle. My grandmas Buick handles better than my MINI, and that just isnt right.

Parada Spec2 are stiffer tires and Exclaim UHP is a comfortable street tire.

I don't suggest Exclaim UHP for performance junkies, Max or Extreme performance tires work much better.

Also you might do better with anything with a stiffer sidewall either
Goodyear eagle F1 All Season or 40 series sidewall.

So is the UHP supposed to be like that- Yup.

Hey, I daily drive on Stock 15" continental tires and they are mushy but fine.
175/65-15 too!

Try slightly higher tire pressures about 38 psi and check that your tire gauge is accurate and reading true.

Did you purchase from Alex? If so let him know.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:44 PM
6th Gear
Set your PSI to 36 front cold and 37 rear cold. Wait 4-5 hours after driving to measure. Heat can make the pressure go up 5-6 PSI or more. Without being familiar with these particular tires, I couldn't say, but it seems like 30-32 PSI is probably too low for the soft sidewall.

Experiment with pressure. If they're truly that bad, talk to the vendor your bought them from and check on warranty, perhaps something is wrong with them.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:49 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
I purchased them thru National Tire Battery, which was listed as a recommended installer/seller on the tirerack site. I'm not at all a performance junky. I'm not picky about handling at all really, but I used to have a 4door 98 model neon that handled better than this, and that was with 14 inch wheels.

and when i describe the swaying/sliding motion, its only doing 15mph...i dont have to be going fast at all to make it sway....If i have to make a snap judgement swerve, i see it causing a serious accident.

im heading out right now to inflate them some more, i'll check if i can see where they're made as well. I duno, the tread feels like its just too tall and is bending when cornering. I may even call NTB and see what they say.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:50 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
for a second, i thought you guys were talking about the Ziex912's.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:00 PM
staz87
2nd Gear
Hmm these tires are on the way for me... i'll let you know how they feel

Old 04-18-2008, 03:15 PM
ubdylan
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
for a second, i thought you guys were talking about the Ziex912's.
Please don't tell me those are mushy! Opted those on my Konig Feathers.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As has been said check air pressure.

How many miles on the tires. You could be fighting with the affects of the mold release compound on the tires. Put a couple hundred miles on them & they may feel better.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:15 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Update:

Tires are made in France, Filled up the tire pressure as stated above, no change...even went up to 40psi. They still handle like mud tires. They are still pretty spankin new. Like I said, I put them on yesterday, they probably have about 50-75miles on them. I've never had a tire that had to be "broken in" but i guess these could be the first....I went to NTB just now, going back in the morning to talk to the manager. I'm really confused about what to do. I was set on these tires, and that size. I'm not sure if I should go back to 40series, or get a different brand in the same series or 40 series.

Last edited by MUShadd; 04-18-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:18 PM
PGT
Banned
NTB will exchange them.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the update.

It has been my experience that mold release can affect tires. I've had it happen a time or two. I have also bought tires & not experienced that problem. Not much help I know, just throwing an idea out for you.

Good luck.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Wow...mine arrive next week from Tirerack. Hope it's an isolated case.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:17 PM
dtm
2nd Gear
General UHP

Mine are sitting in the garage waiting to go on the car 215/45/17. . . since we're having a spring snow storm . . . I will put them on weds. and let you know how they feel. Just checked . . . also made in france.

Hope this works out for you SnYper.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Bor
3rd Gear
amazing to see how many people just bought these. I ordered them earlier this week - same size ! - they arrive Monday

I was pretty happy with them in a different size (195/45/15) on my holies on my old R50

Old 04-18-2008, 07:24 PM
cutters68
2nd Gear
Hey Snypr,

I have had two sets of these on my soon to be gone 04 Honda Accord making room for my 08 MCS AB/AB. I freaked out on the ride home the first set I bought. Just like riding on marshmellows. It was like that for about the first 500 miles on both sets. So if you can live with it till they are broken in I think you will be happy. I got 53,000 miles out of my first set. Only other grip is the whirring noise when I hit 90mph, its weird and then it disappears as speed increases beyond 95mph. Love the tread pattern should look great on your ride.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:21 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
That makes me feel a little better. I just fear that if i put that many miles on them, and they are still messed up, I may not be able to return them. I'm stopping by NTB early in the morning. I'm willing to give them a try if NTB will let me. I'll post up my findings. If I must replace them tomorrow, whats a good alternative in that price range <$100?

Old 04-18-2008, 09:29 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ubdylan
Please don't tell me those are mushy! Opted those on my Konig Feathers.
nono, not mushy. just VERY SLIPPERY. well, the first 500 miles.
takes forever to break-in.

if i accidentally bought those for my MCS, i would do a long 15sec
burnout.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:40 PM
ED955S
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kenchan
nono, not mushy. just VERY SLIPPERY. well, the first 500 miles.
takes forever to break-in.

if i accidentally bought those for my MCS, i would do a long 15sec
burnout.

Good idea!

Old 04-18-2008, 10:46 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've never had a set of tires that didn't need a break-in period.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:36 AM
davavd
6th Gear
I had exactly the same reaction to my Kumho ASX 215/50/16s when I got them. Eventually worked my way up to 40psi, and began to be satisfied (some getting used to, mixed in), though they still feel too flexible in hard cornering. I'll wear 'em out as fast as I can.

Quick Reply: My new tires...are horrible!