Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

switching Runflats

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 05:35 PM
heyjay1428
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
switching Runflats

Was looking around the forum and found some stuff on runflats, wasn't too helpful, but saw that alot of people ditched their run flats for regular tires.

After having to fix 4 tires (all runflats) i'm considering on changing my tires, as soon as they get bald (which is within the next month or so),
so i had a few questions:

1.any disclaimers about mixing run flats with regulars?
2.can you keep the rims and change out the tires? (heard this wasn't recommended) if not recommended why?
3. Anyone keep a spare? (i need trunk space, and was thinking about just going with a quick diy kit thing).

yea, thanks! hopefully these aren't all repeats.. if they are... whops i should read a little bit more

Old 04-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There have been a few threads covering this subject in the Coupe forum, and the Tires, Wheels & Brakes forum.

1. Should be the same tires on either side. Not sure if it's OK to put one kind in the back with the other in the front.

2. No, you have to throw away your wheels every time you change tires. Seriously, no problem going from runflats to regular tires. Some wheels wont work with runflats, but most do.

3. I have four spares, but I don't carry them with me. I carry a slime compressor and a puncture kit.

Originally Posted by heyjay1428
Was looking around the forum and found some stuff on runflats, wasn't too helpful, but saw that alot of people ditched their run flats for regular tires.

After having to fix 4 tires (all runflats) i'm considering on changing my tires, as soon as they get bald (which is within the next month or so),

2.can you keep the rims and change out the tires? (heard this wasn't recommended) if not recommended why?
3. Anyone keep a spare? (i need trunk space, and was thinking about just going with a quick diy kit thing).

yea, thanks! hopefully these aren't all repeats.. if they are... whops i should read a little bit more

Old 04-21-2008, 08:53 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts

Check the tire forum- these subjects have been already discussed.

1. Don't mix runflats with non runflats. Use one or the other.
2. Keep the stock rims and run any type of tire whether runflat or non runflat. Don't damage the TPMS on each wheel if you have them.
3. Some have compact spare and carry it in the boot with a bag or cover, some have fix it kit, some have AAA and cell phone for a tow. Compact spare is used on rear wheel only, move good wheel to fronts.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:13 PM
heyjay1428
3rd Gear
haha thanks! much help. but you said don't mix runflats with non runflats? how come?
my front two are bald and was thinking about switching them.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:06 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
haha thanks! much help. but you said don't mix runflats with non runflats? how come?
my front two are bald and was thinking about switching them.
This subject has been discussed before in the tire forum.

see
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=136
Read the first paragraph.

For safety, offering the best control and stability never mix-
Winter and Summer/All Season tires or runflats with non runflats.

If you have two worn runflats then-
Buy two runflats and put the better tread tires on the rears
Buy four non runflats and have a fix it kit or buy a compact spare tire.

Last edited by minihune; 04-22-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:19 AM
heyjay1428
3rd Gear
ahhh thanks so much! was great help