Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

wheel width

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 11:15 AM
francisg323
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheel width

hi I just got a new clubman and was thinking of going w/a staggered wheel set can someone tell me what is the widest wheel I can go with on the rear and what offsets?

Old 04-27-2008, 02:11 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by francisg323
hi I just got a new clubman and was thinking of going w/a staggered wheel set can someone tell me what is the widest wheel I can go with on the rear and what offsets?
Do you mean you want to do this for looks alone?

It would not be helpful for performance since the MINI is front wheel drive.

You'd be adding unwanted weight to the rear.

What suspension will you have? Wider wheel and wider tire means less clearance for any lowered suspension.

What size wheel diameter where you considering? Clubman with 16" or Clubman S with 17" wheels or maybe something much larger? 18 or 19".

Stock wheels are about 17x7 so 17x8 is not bad but much larger is a tougher fit unless you can get a smaller tire to fit the wider rim and adjust some rear negative camber for clearance.

Adding coilovers that allow for ride height adjustment gives the most flexibility. Front adjustable camber plates allow for more front negative camber while lower adjustable rear control arms allow for more rear negative camber. The Stock clubman has some minor adjustments for front and rear camber built in but only about 1/2 degree.

If you use tires that are at stock size or less tall (24.4" or less tire diameter) then you have more clearance and can consider wheel offsets that are much less than stock which is +48mm for a 17x7 rim. The wider the rim the less offset you want to place the rim back to the original position in the wheel well. 17x8 or 18x8 rim will use about +40 mm offset. Spacers can also be used if needed for more clearance from the suspension parts or for a wider stance but wide spacers will decrease effective offset and place the wheel and tires wider outside of the car and may also require longer wheel studs or bolts than stock.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:18 PM
francisg323
1st Gear
Hey minihune thanks for the reply, I'm mainly going for looks but you how it goes adding things here and there to a car quickly changes your mind. I didn't even know it was front wheel drive so looks like I won't be doing the staggered look cause then it would just look like I'm frontin and I don't want that.

As for suspension I'm not sure yet but the diameter I'm considering is 17" nothing bigger the only ones I would consider 18 is the JCW R105 but I've seen them on the regular mini but in my opinion it just looks alittle big but since the clubman is a bit bigger I think 18's would look fine but I'm still leaning towards 17's. Does the stock camber adustment go for all clubmans or just for the S clubman?

Old 04-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
9's are the largest you can fit in the rear before running into problems. Fitting 9's on the front becomes difficult as you start running into problems when the car is turned to full lock...so 9's are really only good for a staggered setup. 8" is a nice size that you can easily fit all the way around if you decide not to do the stagger thing.

I'll be running a staggered setup on my clubman 8 in front, 8.5 in the rear.

A good thread to check out about wide wheels that fit and their specs: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...highlight=wide

Other staggered pics:

16x7.5 fronts and 16x9 rears

15x8 and 15x8.5

17x8 and 17x9

Last edited by Rally@StanceDesign; 04-27-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:43 PM
francisg323
1st Gear
Hey Rally thanks for the reply and the pics cause now you got me thinking and those pics are awesome I just need to figure whether I want to do the staggered look or not.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by francisg323
Hey Rally thanks for the reply and the pics cause now you got me thinking and those pics are awesome I just need to figure whether I want to do the staggered look or not.
If it helps....I run (red car above) staggered wheels but non-staggered tire widths so the staggered handling effects are minimal and i still get the style of staggered wheels with the wider lip in the back. The other two guys are just running a 10mm difference in tire width from front to back....so even then it's not too drastic like the RWD's that run really wide tires in the rear and skinny ones up front.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:14 AM
DRT NaSTY
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
If it helps....I run (red car above) staggered wheels but non-staggered tire widths so the staggered handling effects are minimal and i still get the style of staggered wheels with the wider lip in the back. The other two guys are just running a 10mm difference in tire width from front to back....so even then it's not too drastic like the RWD's that run really wide tires in the rear and skinny ones up front.
hey Rally. i too have a 2011 mini clubman s and was wondering if youd let me in on exactly what i'd have to do to make a 17x8 17x9 stagger setup work on my car. i have H&R street performance coils on right now and they are maxxed out (not too low) im thinking ill eventually go with some kw v2s, but for now, is it possible to get a flush aggressive "stance" with my coils and a 17x8 17x9 staggered setup? i have 17x8 all around ESM 004 right now and im thinking ill just pick up a pair of 17x9 004s. what size tires would you suggest? i have 215/45/17 all around right now and they are pretty much perfect. what would you suggest for the rear? is appreciate the help. thanks! your clubman was the inspiration behind buying my car. you seriously set a standard for all clubbie owners out there.

ps my tires look pretty similar to the grey r53 above on my 17x8s.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Holy thread resurrection.

Rally doesn't even have his clubby anymore.

Flush can be achieved with 17x8 et25-35 up front. A flush look with 9s in the rear is a little tougher, kinda have to stick as close to et35 as possible without going higher. Anything higher will hit the trailing arm anything lower will start to poke.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:56 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Creeve
Flush would be 17x8 et25-35 up front. A flush look with 9s in the rear is a little tougher, kinda have to stick as close to et35 as possible without going higher. Anything higher will hit the trailing arm anything lower will start to poke.
Can't go wrong w/ good advice!

Old 12-06-2012, 09:46 AM
DRT NaSTY
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minsanity
Can't go wrong w/ good advice!
haha. i know he doesnt have his clubman anymore. im new to the online forum world and the whole suspension wheel setup thing, so im just trying to figure it all out. im getting help here and there but i figured i ask the dude who knows the clubman the best. i appreciate the help tho. sorry for resurrecting..

Old 12-16-2012, 02:24 AM
OhBe1
2nd Gear
Don't worry about it. Had you started a new thread, someone would have told you to search. You can't win.