Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Cryo-Treated Rotor, is this stuff for real?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:17 AM
peanut_man
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cryo-Treated Rotor, is this stuff for real?

Hi,

I've tried to search but didn't get definitive answer. Is this Cryo-treated rotor actually do last longer than the non-treated one? Is there any study published on this? Seems like snake oil to me, but I'm looking for a new set of rotors for my other car, so wanted to check. Thanks.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=&perfCode=A

Old 04-28-2008, 08:27 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by peanut_man
Hi,

I've tried to search but didn't get definitive answer. Is this Cryo-treated rotor actually do last longer than the non-treated one? Is there any study published on this? Seems like snake oil to me, but I'm looking for a new set of rotors for my other car, so wanted to check. Thanks.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=&perfCode=A
No snake oil.
It's been discussed and known than metal is affected and hardened by superfreezing with cryo treatment (liquid nitrogen). More than the rotors can be treated but it's expensive.

You can't do it yourself as the temperature is monitored during the process.

Powerslot rotors (slotted or plain) that are cryotreated are better able to handle the heat, wear and tear of track days, lapping or driving school but are not needed for daily street driving. They won't look any better than normal powerslot rotors. For street driving they will last a little longer than standard rotors.

If you've driving hard enough on the track to destroy a MINI rotor in one day then cryo treated rotors are worth a look. Talk to or email Alex@tirerack.com for more info.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:53 PM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've used the cryo-treated non-slotted rotors on my MINI (daily driver and track car). They did last a long, long time. I ran into pad deposit problems on them a few times... they lasted longer than I was capable of keeping them pad deposit free.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:09 PM
84im
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, I'd go with cheap Brembo plain rotors from NAPA or TireRack. Cryo-treated rotors may last longer and be better at handling heat, but for street driving and the occasional track session I don't think they're worth the extra money.
Ron

Old 04-29-2008, 05:53 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I've shipped rotors to customers via cryo treatments over the years. To date I've had no customer come back to tell me they truly felt that got any significant value from it over a conventional rotor.

The biggest problem is that many of the end user comments don't take into account a controlled test- the same use or time run, tracks, tires and often even the same pad. That make for a difficult conclusion.

A recent 14" customer got two days of track use from his normal rotor. He treated the next set and got one day. Was it worse? I don't think so really but he moved to a more aggressive pad compound and a far more demanding track. Test; null and void.