Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

1st Thread! Questions RE OZ Ultraleggara

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 09:45 AM
hificanuck
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Thread! Questions RE OZ Ultraleggara

First off, great forum. It's been a wealth of information.

I'm having a little trouble though. We have a pure silver '05 Cooper S and we are doing the "replace the runflats" thing that seems quite popular here. I agree that the ride quality of the (expensive) runflats is somewhat annoying so off they go.
In searching for new wheels, I had NO idea it would be so time consuming . Anyway, we really like the look of the OZ Ultraleggara (not so sure on color yet) but I'm getting mixed info on this forum regarding rubbing.
I do not want the wheels to rub at all! The suspension is stock but I would like to lower it a touch, simply for a cleaner look. I'm planning on using 17/45 205's but really like the idea of running 215's for added rim protection however I've heard the 215's WILL rub.
Can anyone expand on this for me, I'd hate for our first mod to be a disaster...
Thanks

Old 05-04-2008, 09:48 AM
hemiheaded18
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's gonna depend on how far you want to go down. An inch or less and you should still be fine. Those are 2 super common sizes so getting a definite yes/no should not be hard. Welcome to the NAM.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:07 AM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hificanuck

I'm having a little trouble though. We have a pure silver '05 Cooper S and we are doing the "replace the runflats" thing that seems quite popular here. I agree that the ride quality of the (expensive) runflats is somewhat annoying so off they go.
In searching for new wheels, I had NO idea it would be so time consuming . Anyway, we really like the look of the OZ Ultraleggara (not so sure on color yet) but I'm getting mixed info on this forum regarding rubbing.
I do not want the wheels to rub at all! The suspension is stock but I would like to lower it a touch, simply for a cleaner look. I'm planning on using 17/45 205's but really like the idea of running 215's for added rim protection however I've heard the 215's WILL rub.
Can anyone expand on this for me, I'd hate for our first mod to be a disaster...
Thanks
215/45/17 will not rub unless the car is lowered (springs/coilovers) and loaded (3-4 people in a tight turn). From what I understand the R56 has even more clearance than the R53.

I have the Ultraleggeras in 16's for track wheels, and I love them .

Old 05-04-2008, 10:17 AM
hificanuck
2nd Gear
WOW that was fast!!!! Love the look of those wheels Rustyboy. 16's hmmm, I kinda like the idea due to more sidewall but the wife is really sold on the 17's.
I should have mentioned that I also considered the ASA A2's which has a more "friendly" offset and may accomodate the 215's better but Tire Rack won't have 'em until June......
Cheers

Old 05-04-2008, 10:19 AM
hificanuck
2nd Gear
Oh I forgot but I think my car IS an R53.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:24 AM
6th Gear
Oh I forgot but I think my car IS an R53.
02-06 = R50-R52-R53
07-08 = R55-R56-R57

16's weigh 14.6 lbs IIRC, 17's are slightly heavier. You'll have a better contact patch with 16's, but 17's probably look a little better. I run 215/40/R17's for the street. 45's are too tall for me.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:37 AM
hificanuck
2nd Gear
Our roads are kinda rough up here in the Great White North so I like a little more sidewall, but the 40's may have to do with a 215. It could be I'm a gettin' it all wrong though. Doesn't a 215 have more sidewall than a 205 given the same ratio (45)?

Old 05-04-2008, 10:39 AM
hificanuck
2nd Gear
Oh I should mention that the wheels on your blue Mini look pretty nice too! Maybe a little more race inspired. Are they an Enkei?

Old 05-04-2008, 10:52 AM
6th Gear
Our roads are kinda rough up here in the Great White North so I like a little more sidewall, but the 40's may have to do with a 215. It could be I'm a gettin' it all wrong though. Doesn't a 215 have more sidewall than a 205 given the same ratio (45)?
45 represents ratio, 205 represents tread width (Though there are tons of 205 width tires that are actually wider than 215 width tires, don't ask me to explain that, cause I dunno ).

45% of 205 is going to be shorter than 45% of 215.

The blue car is Danny's from MINICORSA. Mine is Grey. I forget what wheels he had on in that pic, I think they're 16's though.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:16 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks
OK, you have an 05' MCS and will lower a little (with what?)
And you want to use O.Z. Ultralegerra 17x7 wheels +37 offset, 16 lbs each
and want no rubbing.

Using +37 offset you are fine with stock suspension. Depending on your lowering method and upgrade the offset will push the wheel and tire farther outside the wheel well so any tire diameter larger than stock will have a harder time clearing the inner plastic wheel arch trim requiring some trimming with a dremmel tool or similar. 215/45-17 or similar size will likely need trimming if you have a one inch drop but results can vary with how much negative camber you have in the rear. Your 05' MCS has a small adjuster to the lower end of the bottom control arm for about 1/2 degree plus or minus.

Using 205/45-17 is safer to not get rubbing when you lower and still work with stock suspension for now. There are some good tires in that size.

Using a smaller tire diameter tire is also possible but will increase wheel gap with stock suspension and likely be a 40 series sidewall like-
205/40-17
215/40-17
This can increase ride harshness (the reason to switch out of runflats).
It can also increase risk of damage to your rims, tires, suspension or strut towers if you hit a pothole going fast.

For those that like 16" for the same wheel.
It's 16x7 +37 offset 14.5 lbs and would use
205/50-16 tires which are a little less than stock tire diameter for good clearance and give a more comfortable ride with 50 series sidewalls.

Personally if you have a lowered MINI and 16" wheels it looks pretty darn good and balanced. For street use and practical comfort this makes sense.

For looks or for performance driving, a drop combined with 17" wheels and 215/40-17 is pretty aggressive. If you have bad roads then it's a poor solution for daily driving. A trick is to swap out to street wheels for daily use like 16x7 with 205/50-16 tires. Works like a charm.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:05 PM
BobinPhilly
2nd Gear
I just put 17" X 7" OZ Ultraleggeras (and 215/45 X 17 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs, plus BIMEEC zinc plated tuner lug bolts) on my '08 MCS JCW.

No rubbing at all and, to my eye, room enough to lower the car a bit. Check the pix in my Gallery!!

Old 05-04-2008, 01:13 PM
SilverRocket
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BobinPhilly
I just put 17" X 7" OZ Ultraleggeras (and 215/45 X 17 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs, plus BIMEEC zinc plated tuner lug bolts) on my '08 MCS JCW.
Do you have the JCW suspension installed in those pics?

Old 05-04-2008, 06:15 PM
hificanuck
2nd Gear
Bobin, those look really nice but I think the '08 has a larger wheel well.
Minihune, I just measured my existing gap and it appears as thought there is about 1.5"in the rear and 2" in the front. I do understand what you are saying about the offset moving the wheel outward by about 10mm and yes that would certainly be a bit of a drag (no pun intended). I believe the suspension is stock and to be honest I'm a real greenhorn when it comes to modding anything so I don't know how I'd go about dropping the car a bit. I am assuming it is a spring issue however I have seen some pretty high end suspension kits. These seem more geard towards tracking the car. I'm just looking for a decent ride (all things considered) and a bit of looks.
I do however like that 16" idea and I'm going to try and find a few pics of them like Rustyboys.
Thanks for your responses.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:30 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have 17x7 Ultraleggeras. I had 215/45/17's and then lowered my car on M7 springs. As the M7's lower close to 1.5", they rubbed both front and back. I installed rear lower control arms to adj. the camber, and they still rubbed in the rear. I went to 215/40/17's and they work perfectly. Pics in my gallery if you are interested.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:54 PM
dtm
2nd Gear
Welcome hificanuck - I'm in Calgary 04 chili red - white bonnet stripes I run 215/45/17nokian winters on s-lites and 215/45/17 general exclaims on sport edition f7. More and more minis in Calgary but be prepared to pay big $$$$ for simple mods if you can't do them yourself -

Old 05-04-2008, 10:58 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
I have 17x7 Ultraleggeras. I had 215/45/17's and then lowered my car on M7 springs. As the M7's lower close to 1.5", they rubbed both front and back. I installed rear lower control arms to adj. the camber, and they still rubbed in the rear. I went to 215/40/17's and they work perfectly. Pics in my gallery if you are interested.
This a good example and about right.

The 215/40-17 tires are 23.8" tire diameter and help to clear the rubbing areas with any lowered MINI of 1.5" drop.

I had H-sport springs with 1" drop front and rear using 215/45-17 tires and rubbed only in the back even with more negative rear camber and 17x7 wheel with +42mm offset.

Since offset of the Ultraleggera is +37mm you have no room for a taller than stock tire if you do drop 1" or more.

Plan ahead wisely for best results.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:46 AM
MCS06
2nd Gear
My car has been lowered 1/2 inch with 215/45/17s. No rubbing!

Old 05-05-2008, 06:18 AM
hificanuck
2nd Gear
Whew, I'm glad I posted this ahead of doing anything silly yet! Jiminni thanks for the pics, love the black flames! DTM your bang on in regards to getting work done in Calgary. I've called a couple of local places in regards to wheels and tires and havent heard back from them. While I understand things are pretty busy around here, I also see a trend in services only being rendered quickly to those with an abundance of spare change so to speak. Line up behind the Lambo's and Ferrari's if you want service!!!
More and more i'm considering the 16's or a different wheel. Unfortunately I showed a picture of a dark grey Mini to my wife (with 17" Ultraleggeras) and it looks fantastic. We had our hearts set on this look but it's possible that it too would have rubbed. I like the big brake look behind the 17" wheels too.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:20 AM
hificanuck
2nd Gear
Here is the pictures...

Attached Thumbnails 1st Thread! Questions RE OZ Ultraleggara-6.jpg   1st Thread! Questions RE OZ Ultraleggara-8.jpg  
Old 05-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Diploman
3rd Gear
I run 16" UL's on my MCS, with 205/50/16 tires. Rubbing has never been an issue. This lightweight wheel/tire setup (General Exclaim UHP's weight only 19 lbs.) is a huge improvement is suspension performance and ride over the OEM Bridgespokes and runflats. I prefer the 16" UL's because the added sidewall height of 50 or 55 series offers greater rim protection, at little detectable cost in handling. I have the Ultraleggera's in bright silver - it's a beautiful and elegant wheel which adds cachet to the MINI.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:21 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whew, I'm glad I posted this ahead of doing anything silly yet! Jiminni thanks for the pics, love the black flames!
More and more i'm considering the 16's or a different wheel. Unfortunately I showed a picture of a dark grey Mini to my wife (with 17" Ultraleggeras) and it looks fantastic. We had our hearts set on this look but it's possible that it too would have rubbed. I like the big brake look behind the 17" wheels too.
Your welcome. Not sure how bad the roads are up there, but I have ran some rough roads here and everything has been ok. I think 17's look the best, a combo of performance and ride, compared to 16's and 18's. I kinda wish maybe I would have gone with 17x7.5, they make the tires spread alittle more. I saw a car with 17x8 with the same tires as mine, wow what a different look. I thought they must have been 225 or something, they looked that much wider. But he has to run more camber, so they wear out faster.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:41 AM
dtm
2nd Gear
tire rack

Whew, I'm glad I posted this ahead of doing anything silly yet! Jiminni thanks for the pics, love the black flames! DTM your bang on in regards to getting work done in Calgary. I've called a couple of local places in regards to wheels and tires and havent heard back from them. While I understand things are pretty busy around here, I also see a trend in services only being rendered quickly to those with an abundance of spare change so to speak. Line up behind the Lambo's and Ferrari's if you want service!!!
I ordered my wheels from tire rack and they arrived on my doorstep about 8 days later - service was great no hidden costs . .. I would recommend this as I couldn't get any service out of the local guys . . . duty etc. was all looked after up front through tire rack - seamless.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:56 PM
BobinPhilly
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SilverRocket
Do you have the JCW suspension installed in those pics?
Not yet. Thinking about it, though, since it only lowers the car by about 1/2."

My Mini has the standard sport susupension, but I'd like to improve handling without excessive lowering. I live in Center City Philly, where the streets are terrible, and don't want to wreck the wheels or the front of the JCW aero kit.

Buying adjustable coilovers for the same (or less) money has been suggested, but I'd still have to get new (larger) sway bars so, in the end, coilovers might not cost any less at all.

Any suggestions re: suspension alternatives for spirited city and country road
(but not track) driving w/b much appreciated.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:16 PM
hificanuck
2nd Gear
Some great responses here and you guys seem to know what yer doin'. One thing though, if I go to a 16" wheel and a 50 series tire isn't the overall wheel diameter similar to a 17" wheel and a 45 series tire? So regardless of choice I will still get some rubbing issues if lowered? I'm thinking of about .5 to 1 inch.
Thanks DTM, I am considering Tire Rack since nobody round here will call me back. By the way you weren't happening to be motoring around Forest Lawn today in your Red Cooper S with white bonnet stripes were you?

Old 05-05-2008, 07:58 PM
dtm
2nd Gear
Some great responses here and you guys seem to know what yer doin'. One thing though, if I go to a 16" wheel and a 50 series tire isn't the overall wheel diameter similar to a 17" wheel and a 45 series tire? So regardless of choice I will still get some rubbing issues if lowered? I'm thinking of about .5 to 1 inch.
Thanks DTM, I am considering Tire Rack since nobody round here will call me back. By the way you weren't happening to be motoring around Forest Lawn today in your Red Cooper S with white bonnet stripes were you?
It's a crazy city this Calgary - I wish I was motoring around today - just stuck in the office - There are a couple chili's around - mine is the only one with the five spoke sport edition wheels tho . . . I will get some gallery pics up yet - just put the wheels on this weekend - hopefully no more snow!

My center cap tabs were broken when my wheels arrived and tire rack replaced no questions asked +1.

Quick Reply: 1st Thread! Questions RE OZ Ultraleggara