Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Brake Job 02 Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 06:40 AM
nukesul
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Job 02 Cooper S

I finally think I have to do my brakes on my 02 S. I'm pretty easy on them so I'm about 80,000km. The front actually look pretty good but it looks like the inside rear pad is worn and the rear rotors look a little rough.

I don't want or need anything high performance. Should I simply get Mini parts (rotors and pads) or is there a better option for comparable money?

Also, for anyone who has done this recently, is there a caliper kit that I should install or should I even be looking at new calipers? Any other likely needed parts? I ask because parts are not nearby and I'd rather have everything I will likely need before starting.

Last I should mention I'm in Canada so if there are any Canadian readers you can point me to a Canadian retailer.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the Brembo OE replacement rotors are cheaper than buying factory ones at the dealer. For pads you could use Hawk HPS which reduces break dust. I wouldn't bother with the calipers. Maybe a break fluid change?

Old 05-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nukesul
I finally think I have to do my brakes on my 02 S. I'm pretty easy on them so I'm about 80,000km...
Sounds like you are easy on the brakes. Morristown Mini sells all the OEM parts for great prices. Check their eBay store...

<<http://stores.ebay.com/Morristown-MINI_W0QQfsubZ0QQsclZQ2d1QQtZkm>>

For prices. I went for Brembo rotors and Hawk HPS pads and so far I like them. Good stopping, less dust than OEM and not much more than Morristown charges for OEM. I think the Brembo rotors looked better than the OEMs which I think are ATEs but I am not hard on brakes either.

You should also consider a fluid flush when you do this. Not hard to do and well worth the effort.

Rich

Rich