Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

How do you disable the TPMS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:48 AM
MRGTX
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you disable the TPMS?

My bud just swapped the wheels on his 07 MC to some high performance rubber...being new to the car and mildly ignorant about modern tech, we didn't think much about the TPMS util the light on the dash was screaming at us.

He plans on keeping the all seasons on the stock rims and didn't budget for a new set for the new wheels... is there any way to disable the warning?

Is there any harm in ignoring it?

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Old 05-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No known way as of yet to disable the TPMS.A black piece of electrical tape covers up the speedo light nicely.As for the light and chime on the tach at startup no fixes there.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:06 PM
MRGTX
1st Gear
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
No known way as of yet to disable the TPMS.A black piece of electrical tape covers up the speedo light nicely.As for the light and chime on the tach at startup no fixes there.
Thanks!

So the computer isn't going to pull any funny business related to this?

Old 05-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nope.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:40 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
My bud just swapped the wheels on his 07 MC to some high performance rubber...being new to the car and mildly ignorant about modern tech, we didn't think much about the TPMS util the light on the dash was screaming at us.

He plans on keeping the all seasons on the stock rims and didn't budget for a new set for the new wheels... is there any way to disable the warning?

Is there any harm in ignoring it?

Any help would be appreciated!!!
You can turn off the light by-
-Putting the wheels back on exactly where you got them from.
-Installing TPMS in each of your aftermarket wheels and resetting the TPMS from the NAV screen or going to the dealership.

Ignoring it is possible but then you don't know if one or more of your tires is flat or low in tire pressure so you have to check regularly.

In theory if you get into an accident and someone finds out your TPMS was not functioning they could check to see if that could have been a factor in the accident.

Not sure on this one- it might not pass safety check in my area which is mandatory each year for registration. You'd have to fix the dash light not just cover with tape before you'd pass.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:46 AM
MRGTX
1st Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
You can turn off the light by-
-Putting the wheels back on exactly where you got them from.
-Installing TPMS in each of your aftermarket wheels and resetting the TPMS from the NAV screen or going to the dealership.

Ignoring it is possible but then you don't know if one or more of your tires is flat or low in tire pressure so you have to check regularly.

In theory if you get into an accident and someone finds out your TPMS was not functioning they could check to see if that could have been a factor in the accident.

Not sure on this one- it might not pass safety check in my area which is mandatory each year for registration. You'd have to fix the dash light not just cover with tape before you'd pass.

Thanks...
I think you make some good points there...but I have never owned a car with tire pressure monitoring so checking/maintaining tire pressure is really not too much to ask.

Also, I am not sure that you can be incriminated by data like that...can you? Unless tire pressure monitoring is required by law (which I don't believe it is) I could see this.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:53 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Thanks...
I think you make some good points there...but I have never owned a car with tire pressure monitoring so checking/maintaining tire pressure is really not too much to ask.

Also, I am not sure that you can be incriminated by data like that...can you? Unless tire pressure monitoring is required by law (which I don't believe it is) I could see this.
TPMS is required by federal law. It has to be working and present at time of sale by your dealership.

The law is all cars from 2008 onward will have TPMS. Luxury cars and SUVs have had it for some time due to low tire pressure causing accidents.

You'd have to check your state for laws on ignoring it when it's non functional.

That's why I mentioned the safety check. If you have a service engine light on your dash you don't get a ticket from the police but at safety check I don't think you'd pass until you get that addressed.

Since TPMS is a safety feature of your car, if you got into an accident and it was not functioning then the investigators could look at that as a possible factor in the accident.