Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Made a Brake Mistake, need New ones.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Artaniz
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Made a Brake Mistake, need New ones.

I had money and bought cross drilled and slotted rotors. I know now that I didn't need to get them and could of used slotted or even stock, but i will still keep them since they still work well. although they are smaller then the stock rotors. (they still work fine but I am not sure this is a problem.

I also bought EBC Green Stuff. Simple to say that was a bad idea. they fade after 3-4 hard stops. but the do have MUCH less dust.

I decided not to get a BBK since i don't need to worry about heating up my brakes that much on a daily basis.

I have been looking at Hawk HPS and Ferodo DS2500

less dust then stock would be nice, and I want to go for not much noise when braking normally.

I have a 05MC(Non S) R50, I track about 8times a year. no more then 15.
Daily Spirited driving

I am looking for some brakes that bite cold well. since sometimes i cant drive hard when I have passenger. my GF doesn't like when i scare her that much lol.

That are better if even slightly then Stock pads.

I am also putting in SS braided brake lines and ATE super blue when i get the new pads.

So what does NAM recommend?

Old 05-23-2008, 03:47 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i recommend use your stock brakes, lighter wheels, wax those wheels,
and clean often.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:47 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
I many customer running all or part of this setup and loving it and the much less dust then any other. http://www.autoxcooper.com/performancepackages.html

Old 05-23-2008, 04:56 PM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
Carbotech brake pads, they also have track applications for the Mini! Check them out, AutoXCooper.com (above) sells them

Old 05-23-2008, 05:17 PM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AutoXCooper.com
I many customer running all or part of this setup and loving it and the much less dust then any other. http://www.autoxcooper.com/performancepackages.html

Dustin...

Please check your PMs...

Thanks!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:18 PM
wellzy
4th Gear
if you want a pad with almost no dust and great bit go woth the carbotech 1521 (bobcat). if you wold like to stop 60 to 0 in about 25 feet COLD get there ax6 pad it is dusty but omg dose it stop. if you plainis to track your car you need to step up to a race compound like there xp8. one thing that is way cool about carbotech is that there pads are enter changeable, with out turning rotors

Old 05-23-2008, 08:20 PM
RaceFace
3rd Gear
I second the CarboTech 1521's. I am really happy with them. Low dust and great stopping!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
I have had a lot of good luck with many customers in the Hawk HPS pads. But never track EBC Pads. they can not take the heat. in one day you can go thru a brand new set. not god at all.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:32 PM
wellzy
4th Gear
ebc compounds where made for 4weelers and snowmobiles form what i told and they are not good any where track/street. hawk hps is low dust but will stop about the same as oem just my 2 cents

Old 05-26-2008, 05:45 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Artaniz

I also bought EBC Green Stuff. Simple to say that was a bad idea. they fade after 3-4 hard stops. but the do have MUCH less dust.
I don't know much but my EBC greens do not fade after just a few stops. I read on these forums so often about how EBC pads suck. I had them around the track for many many laps and they did just fine. I am sure there are better options for *really* hard driving but I think they are better than everyone says. I DID have brake fade until having the fluid switched to Motul brake fluid though... After that it was great.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:05 PM
greystone
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Artaniz
I had money and bought cross drilled and slotted rotors. I know now that I didn't need to get them and could of used slotted or even stock, but i will still keep them since they still work well. although they are smaller then the stock rotors. (they still work fine but I am not sure this is a problem.
You feel there is a performance difference between slotted rotors and slotted/drilled rotors? The rotors you purchased are *smaller* than stock?

Old 05-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Artaniz
1st Gear
You feel there is a performance difference between slotted rotors and slotted/drilled rotors? The rotors you purchased are *smaller* than stock?
Actually, i don't think there is any difference. if there is, it is so small its not worth the extra $$$ for me. i made a mistake when buying the drilled/slotted rotors. i wont be buying them again.

Regarding the size of the rotors. i do not have measurements. and its just from stacking one on top of the other. i did notice the rotors were maybe about 4mm difference.

Thanks for all suggestions. i think i will go with the CarboTechs of the Hawk's then. Thank you all