Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

brake squeeling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 06:21 PM
sudburymcs
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake squeeling?

Hello everyone,

I have searched and searched on this great site for an answer to my problem but have found similar issues but not solution.

So I hope someone can help.

I had a rear brake job done on my MCS in december and everything seemed just fine.

Now with the warmer weather and the window down I can hear a sometimes faint and then sometimes loud squeel coming from the car as I drive down the road. It seems to happen all the time now, it's very emabarrasing to have such a great looking clean car and have this very loud squeeling eminating from beneath the car.

When I apply the brakes lightly it goes away. I also tried applied the e-brake, because I figured the noise had to do with the rear brakes. It was just a hunch. The noise also went away!

I am very confused!

My nearest dealer is almost 4 hours away, so I hope someone can help me explain to my mechanic what the problem could be.

I asked them if they applied goo to the rear of the pads and they assured me that they did. Even though this squeel is not the pad squeel that I am framiliar with from other german autos I have had.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Josh Piela

Old 05-26-2008, 08:19 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
Hello Josh,

I would get a jack and jack stand, get the rear wheels off the MINI and with a flash light inspect the brakes. L@@K for anything odd, such as road trash and be sure to make sure both pads are wearing about the same on each rotor. Also check the rotors for any deep wear marks. I've had a few customers with E-brakes that got stuck and wore the pads fast. If after all of that you don't see anything that stands out, and if you are still under warranty it might be a good time to see the dealer. You can also check your local area threads for a local shop that could inspect it for you.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:30 PM
sudburymcs
Neutral
Thank you for the piece of advice. I will give that a try tomorrow night.

And if I cannot find anything it's back to the mechanic and he can figure it out.

Regards,
Josh Piela

Old 05-27-2008, 01:31 AM
OSUBeaver
3rd Gear
I was experiencing the same thing, turns out when I put my pads on the rear I didn't put the spring clips on the back of the inner brake pad on the caliper piston correctly. After installing them correctly with the spring clips in the groove on the piston I haven't had them sqeal since.