Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Ditching the run-flats?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 01:12 PM
enricosonic
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ditching the run-flats?

Just perusing the forum's various threads and I see many have done this. I'm ready to ditch mine if there's a substantial difference in ride quality. The run-flats are all I've known so I'm guessing I'd definitely feel a change for the better. I suppose a regular performance tire will be quite a bit cheaper too.

So... what if you get a flat? Unlikely I reckon but still - I'd rather not have the wife and baby alone somewhere with a puncture.

One other thing: anyone running 215s instead of 205s?

Old 05-31-2008, 01:19 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by enricosonic
Just perusing the forum's various threads and I see many have done this. I'm ready to ditch mine if there's a substantial difference in ride quality. The run-flats are all I've known so I'm guessing I'd definitely feel a change for the better. I suppose a regular performance tire will be quite a bit cheaper too.

So... what if you get a flat? Unlikely I reckon but still - I'd rather not have the wife and baby alone somewhere with a puncture.

Search for "non runflat" or 205/45-17, or 215/45-17. Both sizes easily fit a stock MINI with stock suspension.

Performance and comfort will likely improve, cost will be lower, tread wear can be increased.

If flat tire then call roadside assistance or AAA if you have a membership.
Or keep a compact spare tire in the boot covered with a tire bag.

Check out Ultra High Performance Summer tires if you have mild weather and UHP All Season tires if you have cold weather and some snow and don't want to change to winter tires.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:31 PM
-Nathan
1st Gear
Originally Posted by enricosonic

I saw a huge improvement in both ride comfort and traction when I switched from Dunlop all-season DSST run-flats to Continental Contisport Contact 2's. I just keep my cellphone and AAA card with me. If you are concerned about being stranded with a punctured tire you might be interested in Continental's ContiComfortKit http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...tkit/index.jsp

Old 05-31-2008, 01:36 PM
enricosonic
6th Gear
Thanks, you guys. Good info. I don't think there'll be any more run-flats for me. That opens up a new world of options too.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:52 PM
CFMINI
4th Gear
You can also get a nice little compressor/flat fix kit from Mini or elsewhere to keep in the boot. It is a nice back up and the minimal risk is more than offset by the added ride comfort, performance and lower cost of run flats.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:17 PM
wilhelmh
2nd Gear
My Recommendation...

I'd recommend Continental ContiExtreme Contact tires in 215/45/17. They are Ultra-High Performance All-Seasons and will fit on the OEM S-Lites without any problem. I replaced my Goodyear run-flats and noticed a clear improvement. They are quieter, have much better grip and treadlife, last longer, and provide a more comfortable ride. The extra cushioning of the softer sidewalls will also protect your wheels from pothole damage (that's what motivated me to make the change--the hard way).

Oh, they are also considerably less expensive than run-flats.

For safety/convenience, buy a can of Fix-A-Flat at Target. Craftsman makes a nice portable air compressor for your trunk. With these, you won' have to worry about leaks or flats!

Make the switch. You'll be glad you did!

Old 05-31-2008, 03:30 PM
enricosonic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wilhelmh
I'd recommend Continental ContiExtreme Contact tires in 215/45/17. They are Ultra-High Performance All-Seasons and will fit on the OEM S-Lites without any problem. I replaced my Goodyear run-flats and noticed a clear improvement. They are quieter, have much better grip and treadlife, last longer, and provide a more comfortable ride. The extra cushioning of the softer sidewalls will also protect your wheels from pothole damage (that's what motivated me to make the change--the hard way).

Oh, they are also considerably less expensive than run-flats.

For safety/convenience, buy a can of Fix-A-Flat at Target. Craftsman makes a nice portable air compressor for your trunk. With these, you won' have to worry about leaks or flats!

Make the switch. You'll be glad you did!

Thanks