Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Konig Feathers, opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:54 AM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure Adam at Alta would like your business so give negotiation a shot =). If nothing else they are a great company to deal with.

I've had the Konig Feather wheels on my car since September and they are holding up just fine. I haven't curbed them yet, I'm sure that wouldn't have pretty results as they do not recess behind the tires. I have pics in my gallery.

The OEM TPMC sensors can be transferred over to the new wheels for those of you not keeping the wheels you are taking off. They fit just fine.

I'm not sure if anything has changed but everyone I chatted with here that bought Feathers including me had the same problem... they come with 12mm lug holes and no one wants to drill them out. They should be special ordered from Konig with 14mm holes for R56/R55 cars. I doubt Konig would honor any kind of warranty for wheels drilled after they left the factory.

p.s. be sure to torque the lugs to 103 ft./lbs. on the R56/R55. I've read a few stories of wheels coming off because they were only torqued to industry standard 80 ft./lbs.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:06 AM
D-Unit
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
still no pics of the gold?

Old 06-06-2008, 08:20 AM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
There are several shots of Feathers at www.good-win-racing.com. I remember at least 2 or three cars with gold feathers and one of them is a Mini Cooper !

Originally Posted by D-Unit
still no pics of the gold?

Old 06-06-2008, 08:46 AM
D-Unit
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pauliekeys
There are several shots of Feathers at www.good-win-racing.com. I remember at least 2 or three cars with gold feathers and one of them is a Mini Cooper !

o yea. i actually saw that but forgot. thanks again for the link.

still, any more would be awesome.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:41 PM
jweiss32807
2nd Gear
I recently ordered a set of 17" Konig Zeros from Alta after two weeks of emails and questions about their fit for a R55 Clubman. I was assured they would fit. I got them as a direct ship from Konig (they are really sharp looking BTW). My dealer dismounted my original wheels and tires, mounted the tires on the Zeros, and THEN discovered the factory lug bolts didn't fit in the holes. So I am without a car and on the hunt for a lug bolt solution unless I want to pay for the remount on the OEM wheels (and eventual mount again on the Konigs). My dealer was eventually able to get the car off their lift, but I can't take it. Best part is I had just taken delivery of it. I've never even driven it.

Alta and Konig seemed to argue a bit about whose fault it was, but Konig finally agreed to ship out a set of lug bolts for me - ground! The Zero's fit the earlier Coopers no problem (with their 12mm bolts), but the 14mm bolts are too big. I needed a set of tuner lug bolts but becuase of the 14mm/1.25 thread pitch, there really aren't any common tuner lug options out there, especially in black. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the lug bolts Konig is sending me fit. If not, I've got problems. I found a chrome set of lug bolts I could order through a local wheel shop, or I could look at a stud conversion kit to match with tuner lug nuts that I would also have to order. That may make the most sense in the long run.

Adam and his staff have tried to help, but ultimately told me Konig needed to resolve it since the purchase order was clear which type of car it was for. It would have been nice if Konig had sent a set of wheels that had been pre-drilled out for the R55/R56 since they knew what car it was for. Konig told me this was the first time they had run into this problem. After reading this thread, it seems like that's not true. They should have known about it and either shouldn't have sold me the wheels or sent a set of bolts that would work with it. And Alta should have also known about this. I expected Alta to be more agressive in providing me with a solution. Maybe under normal circumstances, it wouldn't be so time critical, but since my dealer messed up by not checking the fit, they left me hanging too. I'm not too sure how I feel about my experience with Alta.

BTW, my dealer had no problems swapping the stock TPMS sensors over to my Zeros. I'm expecting the lug bolts from Konig on Monday next week. I'll let you know if Konig was able to send the right parts. But I totally agree that the factory lug bolts on Konig wheels can be a pain in the rear. You may need to get creative regarding bolts.

Jon W.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:46 AM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jweiss32807
I recently ordered a set of 17" Konig Zeros from Alta after two weeks of emails and questions about their fit for a R55 Clubman. I was assured they would fit. I got them as a direct ship from Konig (they are really sharp looking BTW). My dealer dismounted my original wheels and tires, mounted the tires on the Zeros, and THEN discovered the factory lug bolts didn't fit in the holes. So I am without a car and on the hunt for a lug bolt solution unless I want to pay for the remount on the OEM wheels (and eventual mount again on the Konigs). My dealer was eventually able to get the car off their lift, but I can't take it. Best part is I had just taken delivery of it. I've never even driven it.

Alta and Konig seemed to argue a bit about whose fault it was, but Konig finally agreed to ship out a set of lug bolts for me - ground! The Zero's fit the earlier Coopers no problem (with their 12mm bolts), but the 14mm bolts are too big. I needed a set of tuner lug bolts but becuase of the 14mm/1.25 thread pitch, there really aren't any common tuner lug options out there, especially in black. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the lug bolts Konig is sending me fit. If not, I've got problems. I found a chrome set of lug bolts I could order through a local wheel shop, or I could look at a stud conversion kit to match with tuner lug nuts that I would also have to order. That may make the most sense in the long run.

Adam and his staff have tried to help, but ultimately told me Konig needed to resolve it since the purchase order was clear which type of car it was for. It would have been nice if Konig had sent a set of wheels that had been pre-drilled out for the R55/R56 since they knew what car it was for. Konig told me this was the first time they had run into this problem. After reading this thread, it seems like that's not true. They should have known about it and either shouldn't have sold me the wheels or sent a set of bolts that would work with it. And Alta should have also known about this. I expected Alta to be more agressive in providing me with a solution. Maybe under normal circumstances, it wouldn't be so time critical, but since my dealer messed up by not checking the fit, they left me hanging too. I'm not too sure how I feel about my experience with Alta.

BTW, my dealer had no problems swapping the stock TPMS sensors over to my Zeros. I'm expecting the lug bolts from Konig on Monday next week. I'll let you know if Konig was able to send the right parts. But I totally agree that the factory lug bolts on Konig wheels can be a pain in the rear. You may need to get creative regarding bolts.

Jon W.
I'm sorry to hear your dealer is an idiot for not checking lug holes first and then telling you they'd have to charge you to put your OEM wheels back on so you could drive the car . very sorry to hear that. I hope it was amicably resolved and you're able to drive your car now. Konig has made this mistake almost every time so I don't think the issue has anything to do with Alta.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:07 PM
RedSkunk
6th Gear
Bringing an old thread back from the dead.... Bought some Feathers, they're on the way, and I had to thank you paulie for those pics. The car + wheels look great!

Reassuring. I got a different color. We'll see how it looks.

Originally Posted by pauliekeys
I just bought a set of 16 inch Feathers last week so I really can't comment on how well they hold up but, I will say that when inspecting the wheels I was going to buy, the finish was flawless. I bought mine from Good-win Racing. (www.good-win-racing.com).

Old 07-16-2008, 01:26 PM
D-Unit
4th Gear
I was really hoping someone would ressurect this thread. Thanks for sharing. Please post pictures.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:51 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
definitely great looking wheels on the MINI.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:11 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
I gotta say that I'm really happy with these Konig Feathers ! It was a VERY difficult process finding a set of 16 inch wheels to replace my Rota's but, after a lot of research on the Feathers I felt they would be a excellent replacement ! I hope that the pictures I posted will help some with there discision. I was able to find a few pictures of Mini's with 17's mounted but none with a set of 16's ! I went with Konigs silver Matte finish and really enjoy the way the matte silver looks on my car. I have a second set of wheels which are "supposed" to be my daily drivers but I like the Feathers so much have a hard time taking them off after a spirited weekend drive ! LOL !

Last edited by pauliekeys; 07-16-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:40 PM
hificanuck
2nd Gear
Me too!!!

My

Old 07-16-2008, 09:43 PM
hificanuck
2nd Gear
Ok, I'm having a lot of trouble with this site and my "reply" tools .

Anyway as I was about to say, my Feathers are here!!! And I'm hoping tomorrow they'll be going on the car provided the tires have arrived.
Going 16's with the new BFGoodrich UHP A/S tires.
Pic's will be soon to follow.
Car is PS with the silver Feathers.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:59 AM
D-Unit
4th Gear
Great, bring on the pics.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:03 AM
e92miami
1st Gear
Has anyone been successful in finding the weight of these wheels? And I'm finding differences in looks depending on the picture...some have extra holes near the lug holes and other have just the 4 holes for the lugs. I ask because the 8 hole look (although it maybe be for weight reduction) it looks cheap like its made to fit mutible bolt paterns.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:08 AM
enron29
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by e92miami
Has anyone been successful in finding the weight of these wheels? And I'm finding differences in looks depending on the picture...some have extra holes near the lug holes and other have just the 4 holes for the lugs. I ask because the 8 hole look (although it maybe be for weight reduction) it looks cheap like its made to fit mutible bolt paterns.
I just got some for my R56. The shipping weight was 19lbs. The 16's I believe are the only ones with only 4 holes. The 17's have more. It doesn't look too bad though, imo.

Name:  IMG_1222.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  18.2 KB

Old 07-17-2008, 09:12 AM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
The Feathers weight in at 15"=12.4 lbs, 16"=15.0 lbs, 17"=16.8 lbs.
I went to the shop where I bought mine from (Good-Win-Racing) to see them up close and in person before buying, I've learned my lesson about buying wheels from just a picture (the hard way). I couldn't find anyone with a set on a Mini around my town ! I found a few pictures but, they really didn't do the wheels justice ! As soon as I opened one of the box's and saw the finish of the Matte silver, I knew they would look awesome on Boo ! I bought them right then and there. It's true that the 16's and 17's come 8 holes but, it wasn't a deal breaker for me ! They do offer the 15's with just four bolt holes and I think you can order the 17's with the same but not the 16". These wheels fit the bill for me. Light weight, inexpensive and I love the way they look on my car !

Originally Posted by e92miami

Last edited by pauliekeys; 07-17-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:18 AM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
Actually the 15's are the ones that come with just four bolts holes although, I've heard that you can order the 17's with four bolt holes as well ! I agree, the extra holes don't take away from the look ! Your car looks awesome, the black wheels really complete the black out look ! My second set of wheels are Matte black with a silver lip which gives some much needed separation where the wheel and tire meet,on a Pepper white car with factory black arches. I'm sure there are many that would disagree with me about that ! LOL ! I know of one "all" Pepper white car in particular(painted arches as well) that I think the all black wheels look awesome with ! You might know the owner the car I speak of, (JoMo). Outstanding car, stunning !

Originally Posted by enron29
I just got some for my R56. The shipping weight was 19lbs. The 16's I believe are the only ones with only 4 holes. The 17's have more. It doesn't look too bad though, imo.

Last edited by pauliekeys; 08-21-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:31 AM
minimust
2nd Gear
So, pauliekeys - - -
Your taste in wheels is outstanding. Your second set, as pictured, look good, too. What are they, again?

Thanks!

Old 07-17-2008, 01:22 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
My other wheels are 18 inch Enkei J10's in Matte black. I love those wheels on my car !!! I think they make the color scheme come together. thanks for the nice comments !

Originally Posted by minimust
So, pauliekeys - - -
Your taste in wheels is outstanding. Your second set, as pictured, look good, too. What are they, again?

Thanks!

Last edited by pauliekeys; 01-16-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:05 PM
dtm
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hificanuck
Ok, I'm having a lot of trouble with this site and my "reply" tools .

Anyway as I was about to say, my Feathers are here!!! And I'm hoping tomorrow they'll be going on the car provided the tires have arrived.
Going 16's with the new BFGoodrich UHP A/S tires.
Pic's will be soon to follow.
Car is PS with the silver Feathers.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:13 AM
hificanuck
2nd Gear
I had to refresh my page 8 times before being able to respond to this thread. I can't figure it out for the life of me. Have NO problems with other websites.
Getting frustrated .
Even more frustrating is waiting for my tires to arrive . I suppose in retrospect, I could've gone the Canadian Tire route on got the UHP Generals but I wanted to give business to the person who found me silver Feathers in a 16". Everybody else said they were on backorder for a while!
Anyway as I was once told "patients is a virtue"...but it makes me GRUMPY heh heh.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:34 AM
dtm
2nd Gear
I had to refresh my page 8 times before being able to respond to this thread. I can't figure it out for the life of me. Have NO problems with other websites.
Getting frustrated .
Even more frustrating is waiting for my tires to arrive . I suppose in retrospect, I could've gone the Canadian Tire route on got the UHP Generals but I wanted to give business to the person who found me silver Feathers in a 16". Everybody else said they were on backorder for a while!
Anyway as I was once told "patients is a virtue"...but it makes me GRUMPY heh heh.
I'll stop popcorning you . . .

Chin up you'll enjoy them when they're here . . .

Old 07-19-2008, 09:14 AM
hificanuck
2nd Gear
Heh heh, no worries worked first time (for now). Popcorn away

Old 07-19-2008, 10:24 AM
dtm
2nd Gear
Heh heh, no worries worked first time (for now). Popcorn away

Old 07-20-2008, 11:59 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
I love my Konigs. Ive put on several thousand miles now and they are holding up Great!

Quick Reply: Konig Feathers, opinions?