Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Ordering Wheels Online vs. Going to the Local Tire Shop

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:20 AM
eR1c
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering Wheels Online vs. Going to the Local Tire Shop

Hey All,

First, I recently ordered a new 2008 MCS. I regrettably ordered the black 18" JCW wheels and Dunlop tires. I really love the look of the black wheels, yet I realized after I placed my order that I can get a better performing setup for about a 1/2 the price of the JCW wheel setup.

I think I can cancel that portion of the order as it's not installed at the factory but at the dealer. ...and if I can't it's not that big of a deal as I do love the JCW wheels.

...here my question,

1) Does anyone know if you can cancel a dealer installed option (the wheels) prior to delivery ...I placed my order 2 weeks ago. still have another month and a half until my car is ready.

2) Is ordering tires and wheels online a good option? I mean, once I get them can I install them myself? ...do they need to be balanced? Do I need to bring it in to have an alignment done or anything? ...I have a floor jack, ramp and stands in my garage so I can easily swap wheels myself.

thanks, thanks, thanks!

Old 06-04-2008, 11:52 AM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
I'm sure you will get a lot of feed back on all of these questions but I'll chime in with my thoughts.

First, you should just call your SA and ask about the wheels. If they are indeed a Dealer installed option then I would think it would not be a problem to cancel them. The fact that your order is only two weeks old should make that very easy to change. As to buying wheels on line ! I don't think that's problem if you are buying both wheels and tires together ! If you buy the wheels and tires at the same place, they will come ready to just mount up, If you buy them from separate stores, you will of course have to deal with taking them to a local shop to have them mounted and balanced. I myself need to see any wheels I buy in person, I've bought two sets in the past without seeing them up close and regretted it.

There are some good deals to be found on line if you do your home work,but I have found that most local stores will match any price you can get on line.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:24 PM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
two threads?

Last edited by minihune; 06-04-2008 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Thread combined
Old 06-04-2008, 12:39 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
Thank you Paul,

Yes I would purchase wheels and tires together (so I could get them balanced, and filled ...many places fill w/ nitrogen).

It does make me nervous to order w/o seeing ...that's part of the reason why I ordered my JCW wheels from the Mini dealer ..they had them on another car in the showroom (they do look pretty sweet). I haven't purchased a new car in 15 years, so I didn't mind splurging on all the extras !!

Old 06-04-2008, 12:57 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
www.tirerack.com has a nice interactive feature where you can
place the wheel of your choice on a sideview of your car. can
sort of get the idea wat it might look like.

plus, they ship very fast and very reliable.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:18 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by eR1c
1) Does anyone know if you can cancel a dealer installed option (the wheels) prior to delivery ...I placed my order 2 weeks ago. still have another month and a half until my car is ready.
Absolutely. You just tell them no change = no deal.

2) Is ordering tires and wheels online a good option?
It sure is. Just stick with a reputable seller (check NAM vendors) and you'll be good to go.

Dean.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:22 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
thanks, i checked out tirerack for my tire/wheel combo. I liked what I saw ...which is what has led me to re-think my expensive factory wheels.

I am going to call my dealer when I get home (at work now and don't have his info w/ me).

Old 06-05-2008, 10:22 AM
eR1c
5th Gear
Reelsmith, ...I called my sales person from the dealership, they said no problem on canceling the wheel portion of my order. (they were extremely pleasant and easy to deal w/).

So, I am in the market to purchase some wheels + tires. I'll be soaking up all the knowledge I can from these forums in the next few days (as I want to place my order soon so they are ready for the new car).

Kenchan,
Your obviously a rep for Tirerack.com. I love what your site offers. Do you get a commission? I ask, because I'd be more than happy to let them know that you recommended my purchase from tirerack.com -does this help you in any way?

Old 06-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Kenchan,
Your obviously a rep for Tirerack.com. I love what your site offers. Do you get a commission? I ask, because I'd be more than happy to let them know that you recommended my purchase from tirerack.com -does this help you in any way?

You are being sarcastic right?

Old 06-05-2008, 07:01 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Kenchan,
lol no. but ive bought many wheel sets from them
and they have never let me down.

just sharing my experience and knowledge so you dont make
any werd mistakes, that's all.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:02 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Some Guy
You are being sarcastic right?
no i think he meant it personally.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:53 PM
MidnightDave
5th Gear
Objective third party here. I've purchased from Alex at Tire Rack, and I've bought from a Discount Tire store locally. Both were comparable in service and price. Tire Rack sent me to a nearby Tire Kingdom to get the tires mounted, and it went fine.

I'd say it's a matter of personal preference, more than anything.

BTW, Sarcasm is the featured link on Google to HowStuffWorks.com!

Old 06-05-2008, 08:28 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
I wasn't being sarcastic at all.

I was being genuine when I said that I'd let tirerack.com know that kenchan recommended their site. I assumed he was a sales rep by the way he recommended tirerack.com to me.

I am new to this site, didn't realize that kenchan has like 20,000 posts and probably isn't a sales rep (LOL). I like to help people out if they help me out. that was it.