Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Rainy Track Day - Adjust tire pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 01:18 PM
OSUBeaver
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rainy Track Day - Adjust tire pressure?

I have a track day tomorrow and it looks like it wil be raining. Should I adjust my tire pressure from a dry day? My logic is that I should start it higher cold since it won't go up as much in the colder/wet weather.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think higher uis better for PSI in water, but its because the pressure increase will narrow up and optimize your contact patch for possible standing water.

Oh yea - and dont drive on the dry line!

Alex

Old 06-06-2008, 10:43 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack
I think higher is better for PSI in water, but its because the pressure increase will narrow up and optimize your contact patch for possible standing water.

Oh yea - and dont drive on the dry line!

Alex
Yes, about 3 to 5 psi higher than with dry weather.

Look for the water on the course, it may tend to puddle more on the dry line as mentioned, go for the area with less water but still with a decent line.

Once the cars are out on the track things dry up pretty well in a hurry unless it keeps on raining. Adjust as needed and come to the pit area if you need to make a quick adjustment on the fly.

Correct tire pressures are essential. If you can chalk tires, or use a tire pyrometer that helps to reduce the chance of running pressures that are too high or too low since you want tire temps similar across the tread surface as much as the conditions will allow.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Bhatch
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can dial in a bit more camber that helps a little also. and pull back on the damping. disconnect the rear bar or reduce the settings if possible.

break early. you will learn more in 1 day of rainy lapping then 5 days in the dry.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:13 PM
OSUBeaver
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the tips. It ended up sprinkling a little off and on and the track was generally dry. There is a chicane at PIR and its cement so that was the only part that was noticeably slick, but even that dried out.

I ended up running into a really helpful guy who told me my pressures were way too high. At this point it was so dry I was bascially working on a dry setup.

I had been running 37 psi cold front and rear, after the 1st session they were at about 42, and the guy helping me was suprised that I could stay on the track! We lowered them to 30 psi cold and I could noticeably feel more grip. It also felt as the tires broke away more gradually than before.