Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Enkei RS7's on sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 01:11 PM
70spop
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any tires yet??? C'mon, man, we want to see it!!

Old 06-17-2008, 01:44 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They arrived!! They look HAWT!! I weighed them, as well as the wheels themselves, and just dropped them off at my tire shop.

Thanks Leo & Edgeracing for coming through. I had originally asked my tire shop if they could get the tires and they said they couldn't because there were on national back order--yet you guys came through for me!!

So they were shocked to see that I got them, lol.

Pix coming in a moment..... (mounted pix will come tomorrow--I've got to leave to get some other goodies installed right now--so will pick up the wheels tomorrow)

Richard

Originally Posted by 70spop
Any tires yet??? C'mon, man, we want to see it!!

Old 06-17-2008, 01:54 PM
OctaneGuy
How the tires arrived this morning

Nice and Aggressive.

On my Mini Fini Cargo Carrier ready for the tire shop

Rims are 17.9 pounds

Tires are 24.3 pounds

Tommorrow I'll have the mounted pix on the rims and on the MINI!!

Old 06-18-2008, 02:10 PM
OctaneGuy
Ok I picked up the wheels today from the tire shop--they look fantastic! Guess I just need to actually mount them on the MINI now, lol.

Bringing them back from the shop.

Richard

Old 06-19-2008, 11:23 AM
flingger
4th Gear
bastard!

Old 06-19-2008, 11:29 AM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by flingger
bastard!
hahaha

Old 06-19-2008, 12:47 PM
leo@edgeracing.com
Banned
Richard,

I am glad I was able to source the Bridgestones for you. Have fun this weekend dodging cones.

Leo Barrios
leo@edgeracing.com
800-489-5353 x211
http://www.edgeracing.com

Old 06-19-2008, 03:45 PM
OctaneGuy
Thanks Leo! Me too!! I just upgraded my Megan coilovers to Cross Coilovers today, so I'm looking forward to a fun time this weekend..will be the first time on really good rubber and coilovers--so can't wait!

Originally Posted by leo@edgeracing.com
Richard,

I am glad I was able to source the Bridgestones for you. Have fun this weekend dodging cones.

Leo Barrios
leo@edgeracing.com
800-489-5353 x211

Old 06-23-2008, 01:10 PM
70spop
6th Gear
Richard, got pics of the new wheels/tires on the car, yet?

Old 06-23-2008, 01:31 PM
OctaneGuy
I'm having problems with my D70s right now, so these are all I got from my camera phone. At yesterdays BMWCCA Autocross.

I love the look but I rubbed constantly during the course on the 215/45 tires.

Richard, got pics of the new wheels/tires on the car, yet?

Old 06-23-2008, 01:41 PM
70spop
6th Gear
Good enough. Looks pretty sharp! Was the car that low before, or is cranked down further on the new coilovers? Looks pretty slammed.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:45 PM
OctaneGuy
Normally I run 215/40's so the sidewalls are a bit taller on these 215/45's--but yes, I dropped the fronts about another 1/2" or so when I went to the Crosses. Speed bumps I scrape. I have to jack up the rear to get a low profile jack on the front to change wheels, lol. Yeah it's slammed.

Thanks I like the look and the handling is unbelievable. The driving instructors familiar with MINIs commented they liked my set up.

Richard

Good enough. Looks pretty sharp! Was the car that low before, or is cranked down further on the new coilovers? Looks pretty slammed.

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 06-23-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:29 PM
OctaneGuy
Here are a few more pix. I took these the day before the autocross.

Two more pix After the Autocross (daily driver wheels back in place). This is my friend Alexei. He's holding his first place trophy that he won for driving 2 seconds faster than myself in my own MINI, lol. It was his first autocross and first time driving a MINI.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:35 PM
PGT
Banned
that's got to be quite humbling

Old 06-24-2008, 04:43 PM
OctaneGuy
Haha--it was his birthday--I bought him the day as his present, so it was all good. For me, it was my first autocross in a year--and in that time, RMW tune, Megans, then Cross Coilovers two day before the autox, new wheels and tires---lots of changes since the last autocross.

He's a fast driver--used to have an M3 and when we go Karting, he wins too, lol. I don't mind getting second, lol.

Originally Posted by PGT
that's got to be quite humbling

Old 06-24-2008, 04:59 PM
PGT
Banned
oh, believe me, I got spanked by an '03 MCS with Madness WAI (Cosmic Purple's)....me, running rcomps and RMW goodies. I'd love to see what times he could do in my car....obviously, there was room for improvement over my times

Old 06-24-2008, 08:18 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
Richard, the car look awesome, The pictures of the car at the track looks WAY slammed ! LOL ! There's defiantly a learning curve on how to drive over speed bumps and the like. I've been wondering how you've been doing with the new coil overs. Nothing like jumping right into the fire heading to the track with new coilovers and new wheels and tires ! Way to go Richard !

Old 06-24-2008, 08:50 PM
OctaneGuy
Haha, yeah one of the drawbacks of being slammed is that when I used to encounter plastic water bottles on the freeway or even just paper trash, I'd go right over it if I couldn't avoid it. Now I just scoop it all up and it gets stuck to my grill until I stop moving forward, lol.

The fact I'm even lower than before yet the ride is soooo much better over the Megans--night and day difference--I'm very pleased with the Crosses. A big thanks to you for letting me know your experiences with them.

I'm super pleased with the coilovers.

Richard

Originally Posted by pauliekeys
Richard, the car look awesome, The pictures of the car at the track looks WAY slammed ! LOL ! There's defiantly a learning curve on how to drive over speed bumps and the like. I've been wondering how you've been doing with the new coil overs. Nothing like jumping right into the fire heading to the track with new coilovers and new wheels and tires ! Way to go Richard !

Old 06-25-2008, 12:03 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
I've had the same experience with the ride quality since the switch to the Crosses. The ride is just so nice, no comparison with the Megans ! I just wish I had done this in the first place. The Cross set up performed beyond my expectations this last Sunday on a WCM twisty run. I thought they might be a bit soft in the corners at the settings I have but boy was I wrong ! The car felt planted all day.I really put the car to it's limits and the car just kept asking for more ! LOL !

Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Haha, yeah one of the drawbacks of being slammed is that when I used to encounter plastic water bottles on the freeway or even just paper trash, I'd go right over it if I couldn't avoid it. Now I just scoop it all up and it gets stuck to my grill until I stop moving forward, lol.

The fact I'm even lower than before yet the ride is soooo much better over the Megans--night and day difference--I'm very pleased with the Crosses. A big thanks to you for letting me know your experiences with them.

I'm super pleased with the coilovers.

Richard

Old 06-25-2008, 12:34 PM
OctaneGuy
I second that! lol. The ride is so cushy sometimes, it falsely leads you to believe that the performance must be given up in return---but it doesn't. I'm able to take the same turns at the same speeds that I did with the Megans set on 17 clicks of stiffness.

I'm pretty happy to know that it's got a nice comfortable/compliant ride and I'm not on full soft, lol.

Richard

Originally Posted by pauliekeys
I've had the same experience with the ride quality since the switch to the Crosses. The ride is just so nice, no comparison with the Megans ! I just wish I had done this in the first place. The Cross set up performed beyond my expectations this last Sunday on a WCM twisty run. I thought they might be a bit soft in the corners at the settings I have but boy was I wrong ! The car felt planted all day.I really put the car to it's limits and the car just kept asking for more ! LOL !

Old 06-25-2008, 12:58 PM
PGT
Banned
I'm running 225/35/18 with my Cross set to 7F/9R and it's never harsh except over super nasty stuff where even my Jeep quivers

Old 06-25-2008, 03:49 PM
PlayPlay
6th Gear
OctaneGuy,

Love your car and it looks sick on the Crosses and with the new wheels. I am also running on Crosses and am wondering how you felt going up to the 215/45/17s. I'm actually thinking about going down to 215/40/17 and am wondering if there will be much difference. What do you think?

Old 06-25-2008, 03:59 PM
OctaneGuy
Thanks! There is a huge difference.

My daily driver tires are 215/40/17 (Nitto Neo Gens). With my current setup and how my suspension was set--I don't rub.

Then I went back to my shop, and installed the Enkei's with 215/45/17 and suddenly discovered that the tires were really tucked in, and with the wheels turned out--had about 1/4" clearance with the fender well--such that if I compressed the strut on a turn, I'd rub.

In terms of ride or comfort it's a toss up. The 215/40's are lower profile, so should have less comfort than 215/45, but the Bridgestones are heavy with a thick sidewall and gave a very firm ride despite the taller side wall.

Regardless I love the feel of both setups. I actually drove home from the shop --50 miles, and from my home to California Speed Way which was about 80 miles from my home--and thought the ride on the Bridgestones was very good, except when I hit a dip and heard it rub, lol. If I had to use 215/45's as daily drivers, I'd raise my setup a bit for more clearance.

Richard

Originally Posted by PlayPlay
OctaneGuy,

Love your car and it looks sick on the Crosses and with the new wheels. I am also running on Crosses and am wondering how you felt going up to the 215/45/17s. I'm actually thinking about going down to 215/40/17 and am wondering if there will be much difference. What do you think?

Old 06-26-2008, 01:16 PM
Analogeezer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by leo@edgeracing.com
We got those at a pretty good deal so we decided to pass the savings on to you guys. Let me know if you have any questions.

Leo Barrios
leo@edgeracing.com
800-489-5353 x211
I've got one, I was looking on your site for my OTM (on Miata.net that means "other than Miata", not sure if it's used here but it could be "other than Mini") and I'd love to get a set of Anthracite RS-7's, in 18" x 7.5"/45 offset (stock the car runs 42, but I believe 45mm is the closest offset the RS-7 comes in).

I know Enkei makes them but your site only has silver in that size...is this something I need to pick up the phone for? (I was probably going to do that anyway).

Thanks!

Analogeezer

Old 06-26-2008, 02:01 PM
leo@edgeracing.com
Banned
Originally Posted by Analogeezer
I've got one, I was looking on your site for my OTM (on Miata.net that means "other than Miata", not sure if it's used here but it could be "other than Mini") and I'd love to get a set of Anthracite RS-7's, in 18" x 7.5"/45 offset (stock the car runs 42, but I believe 45mm is the closest offset the RS-7 comes in).

I know Enkei makes them but your site only has silver in that size...is this something I need to pick up the phone for? (I was probably going to do that anyway).

Thanks!

Analogeezer
We do have the anthracite finish available for the Mini's, but they are not priced the same as the silvers. They go for $162 a wheel. You can find them on our website.

Leo Barrios
leo@edgeracing.com
800-489-5353 x211

Quick Reply: Enkei RS7's on sale