Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

37mm offset to small?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 08:41 PM
Scoutd
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i can get a set of bbs rz 532 17x7's local for my mcs the wheel manufacturer website list this as stock offset size. for the mini yet everywhere I read here, and at the online wheel stores that size is not recommended. WHY? thanks and sorry if this has be researched before...
:smile:

Old 08-19-2003, 05:54 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We have had this offset out here before. ColoradoMark gave us a sweet pic, showing how far outwards a et 37 on 17x7.

Its a Superleggera with 205/50's.

:smile:
>>

800 522 8473

Tire & Wheel forum moderator

www.tirerack.com

alex@tirerack.com

Old 08-19-2003, 05:59 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
>>We have had this offset out here before. ColoradoMark gave us a sweet pic, showing how far outwards a et 37 on 17x7.
>>
>>Its a Superleggera with 205/50's.
>>
>>I can't gurantee your wheel will fit, but this is potentially how far it will sit outboard.
>>
>>Alex
>>
>>>>i can get a set of bbs rz 532 17x7's local for my mcs the wheel manufacturer website list this as stock offset size. for the mini yet everywhere I read here, and at the online wheel stores that size is not recommended. WHY? thanks and sorry if this has be researched before...
>>>> :smile:

Alex,
I have a 42ET and it appears to be sitting in by 10mm. Why does the standard S-lite have 50ET and appear right when 32ET would be sitting way inside the wheelwell. Do I have this all wrong?
>>>>

Old 08-19-2003, 06:11 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
What wheel widths?

Alex

>>Alex,
>>I have a 42ET and it appears to be sitting in by 10mm. Why does the standard S-lite have 50ET and appear right when 32ET would be sitting way inside the wheelwell. Do I have this all wrong?
>>>>>>
>>

Old 08-19-2003, 06:15 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
My wheels are 17 x 7 with 42ET.

Old 08-19-2003, 08:58 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
>>My wheels are 17 x 7 with 42ET.

Here is a great diagram of offset

Here is the explanation
to accompany the pic

et 32 would sit way out of your wheel well, 5 mm past the OZ's above

Alex

Old 08-19-2003, 09:09 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Thanks alex,

Here's the text from tirerack:

Offset
The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types.

Zero Offset
The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive
The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative
The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside. For most cars, this won't work correctly. We have test fitted thousands of different vehicles for proper fitment. Our extensive database allows our sales staff to offer you the perfect fit for your vehicle.

Old 08-19-2003, 11:00 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
I'm confused, Alex Per your illustration, the larger the offset, the farther out the wheel will protrude from the well. I have the 17 x 7 with 42ET. If I add a 5mm spacer to it, doesn't that make it a 47ET?

I ask my supplier and they told me that my total offset would be 47mm. If this is correct, why am I hearing that a 32ET would stick out too far?

Help

Old 08-19-2003, 11:09 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Silver - wheel offsets are confusing. The larger the number, the farther in the wheel sits from the hub. That means that the 48mm offset on the factory wheels is farther in than your 42mm wheels. With a spacer of say 5mm, your new effective offset would be 37mm.

Here are some offset issues we have found:

H-Sport springs

Minimum offset number 40mm

H&R springs

Minimum offset number 42mm

Stock springs

Minimum offset number 37mm

The maximum tire sizes have also been a debated number - and the answer to that quesiton is really "it depends". It depends on the tire manufacturer, the camber the car is running, and believe it or not, the car itself (there are significant variations in the bodies of the MINI as far as fitments are concerned). A definite safe bet is a 215/45/16 or 17. A risky tire size is any 225 - but it can be done in certain set-ups. Heck, even a 235 can be used with the right amount of trimming and camber.

Hope that helps some!

Randy

Old 08-19-2003, 11:17 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Randy,

Your numbers were what I originally thought to be right. Just the opposite of the illustration? If I'm reading the drawing above right, the suspension is to the left and that means a larger offset would push the wheel outward toward the right of the picture. Is the drawing wrong?

Also, if I end up with 37ET, would that mean I COULD fit H-sport springs or no?

BTW, do you know what setup MiniMadness used on their challenge Mini? The front shot looked like their wheel/tire were sticking out!!

Confused and dazed

Thanks

Old 08-19-2003, 11:28 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
The Madness car was running the KW coilovers, which require spacers to work - so he was running 8mm spacers plus whatever offset his wheels were (I believe 42mm).

Can you run 37mm, probably not. You will rub with the H-Sports over abrupt bumps or when carrying passengers in the back seat. I think, as it shows above, that the max you should go with is 40mm with the H-Sports.

I think the way to look at the pic above is to add offset to the left - which shifts the wheel to the inside with a greater number. It's easier just to remember that the higher the numebr, the more the rim is on the inside of the hub center.

Hope that helps!

Randy

Old 08-19-2003, 11:32 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Ooooo...noooo....that means my wheels which are 42ET without spacers are going to rub with the H-sport springs? The only person I carry in the back is my 4 year old son. Am I doomed and have to buy another set of wheels if I'm going to use these springs

Old 08-19-2003, 11:41 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
No, don't let this confuse you more, but anything 40mm or greater will be fine with the H-Sports. The tires on the MINI will rub in the rear at about the two o'clock position on the outer side of the car on the inside of the fender (looking at it on the driver's side). So, the more you move the wheel out, the more likely you are to rub. The lower the number, the more you are moving the wheel out. Since 40mm is the most outside offset you would want, your 42mm wheels are even more conservative and will work fine.

I hope that is as clear as mud

Old 08-19-2003, 12:01 PM
ColoradoMark
4th Gear
Randy,

Since I'm being the extreme example today, and you know my plans. Will the Leda or any other coilovers works if I trim my inner fender liners? Got the brake pads today, thanks!

Mark

Old 08-19-2003, 12:03 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Thanks Randy :smile:

Old 08-19-2003, 01:00 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Mark,

I'm sure there is a way we can make some coilovers work as long as trimming is in your future.

Silver,

Unfortunately, no. I just don't have time to add to the workload while at a pulley party. I also would have to double the tool shipment - and for just a couple cars, as much as I would love to help you out, it just isn't cost effective.

Hope that helps!

Randy

Old 08-19-2003, 01:50 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Completely understandable

Looking forward to seeing you at the party. Any dates yet?

Old 08-19-2003, 02:04 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Well, after the false start we had last week with the pregnancy - we really are off to the hospital right now.

After the baby is born, probably another month or so - late September early October.

Randy

Old 08-19-2003, 02:31 PM
red03miniS
Banned
i am running a 43 offset 215/45/17 yoko es100 on 17X8 stock suspension

i was told this setup wouldnt rub, and it does with one person in the back

Old 08-19-2003, 03:48 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
>>Well, after the false start we had last week with the pregnancy - we really are off to the hospital right now.
>>
>>After the baby is born, probably another month or so - late September early October.
>>
>>Randy

Congradulations

I'm glad it's in the fall season instead of winter Guess everyone will just have to stash more away quickly

How many commitments have you gotten so far?

Old 08-19-2003, 05:54 PM
Scoutd
3rd Gear
>>Silver - wheel offsets are confusing. The larger the number, the farther in the wheel sits from the hub. That means that the 48mm offset on the factory wheels is farther in than your 42mm wheels. With a spacer of say 5mm, your new effective offset would be 37mm.
>>
>>Here are some offset issues we have found:
>>
>>H-Sport springs
>>
>>Minimum offset number 40mm
>>
>>H&R springs
>>
>>Minimum offset number 42mm
>>
>>Stock springs
>>
>>Minimum offset number 37mm
>>

>>Randy

That said, is there TOO MUCH offset and if so what troubles does it bring?
Scoutd

Old 08-20-2003, 05:33 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Scoutd,

From what I've learned, 37mm ET is as wide as I can get with stock spring and ride height. If I go to H-sport springs and lower it, I'd have to sell my 5mm spacers and get back to 42mm ET or the outside rubber will rub the fender lips.

Delima....wide track, high ride or less wide track and low ride

Old 08-21-2003, 01:58 AM
Mister_S
3rd Gear
Silver,

I would ditch the spacers regardless. Extremely low offset not only can cause tire/fender rubbing, but is harder on the suspension and steering components since the center of the tire's contact patch is no longer at the center of the steering axis.

To visualize the effect, imagine having 5 foot spacers instead of 5mm. With the wheels way out like that (essentially on the end of long levers), under driving torque your front wheels are going to want to turn or pivot forward and in; they fight each other through the steering linkage. Under hard braking the wheels will each try to pivot back and out, but again fighting each other. Now you'll say "but 5mm is a lot less than 5 feet!" You're right, but at highway speeds, under high acceleration and deceleration loads, the forces can be substantial even with a small change in offset; and the factory 48/50mm to 37mm is around a half an inch difference; not what I'd consider a small change.

Wheel spacers are really a carryover from track use, where cars have finely tuned adjustable suspensions, rarely if ever see steet use, and where durability and driveability always take a backseat to raw performance. Spacers can be helpfull in making a wheel with too much offset fit properly; but on a car with high factory offset like the MINI that doesn't happen too often.

I think the potential problems of extremely low offset far out weigh any cosmetic benefit. I have also heard it voiced by some with low offset, wide wheel/tire combos, that the eccess exposed tread throws loads of road debris up the side of the car. Personally, I'm still looking for that perfect set of wheels with an offset in the neighborhood of 45mm.

So take out those spacers! 42mm is plenty "wide track".

Oh, and go for the H-Sport springs. Those and a rear sway bar will be my first purchase once I have a garage and my tools again.

Cheers,

James

Old 08-21-2003, 10:25 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
James,

Thanks for your very thorough explanation. I agree with you completely. I've been informed by Randy that the maximum number for the H-sport is 40. Since I'm comitted to the 42 that I already have, going to 37 would be 3mm out of bounds anyway. Sooooo....I'll just cancel my back-ordered spacers

Old 10-13-2003, 12:19 PM
no_affiliation
5th Gear
if i used a 45mm offset and lowering springs... would i be coo?