Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tire questions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:04 AM
MiniKid05
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire questions?

I am going to have to replace my stock tires on my mini this week and was looking into a few alternatives. I just wanted to get some opinions on these different tires if you have tried them. Most important I wanted to know:
1. How long they lasted (if you drove on them hard let me know cause i know I drive hard)
2. How they handled in rain and dry
3. How hard the ride was

my debate is between these three

1. the stock Dunlup SP Sport 9000 DSST
2. Bridgestone Potenza RE050A runflat
3. Michelin Primacy HP ZP

I am open to all comments that you may have about any of these tires. I am leaning toward the Michelin atm so any negative or positive feedback on those tires would be much appreciated.

Also if you have any other runflat tires that you would recommend, by all means do so, the more information I can get the better.

Most importantly I live in So. Cali so I only need to think about summer conditions, and I do use this as my daily driver.

Thank you all in advance for your help. Let;s Motor!

Old 06-14-2008, 01:53 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
For more info you can also talk to or email Alex@tirerack.com.

While many of us start with runflats few will actively try different ones out.
They are expensive to start with and ride quality is firm. Handling wet or dry tends to be good. Mileage varys but often a full set will last about 18,000 to 22,000 miles. Those that drive aggressively will wear out a set in 12,000 to 15,000 miles.

Your choices and other possible runflats in 205/45-17
Note- some tires come in various speed ratings like V or W at different prices, for street driving any of these speed ratings is fine so the less expensive option is what I am listing.

In Max Performance Summer tires:
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT $206 each 140 treadwear 23 lbs
Continental ContiSportContact 3 SSR $187 each 280 treadwear 21 lbs
Dunlop SP Sport 9000 DSST $299 each 280 treadwear 21 lbs

In Ultra High Performance Summer tires:
Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST $283 each 280 treadwear 22 lbs
Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP $146 each 340 treadwear 28 lbs!
Pirelli Eufori@ $210 each 180 treadwear 22 lbs

In Grand Touring Summer tires:
Michelin Primacy HP ZP $210 each 240 treadwear 22 lbs

In Grand Touring All Season
Continental ContiProContact SSR $185 each 400 treadwear 21 lbs
In High Performance All Season
Goodyear Eagle RS-A EMT $297 each 260 treadwear 22 lbs

If you don't need runflats for safety reasons then there are many good non runflats to consider.

Based on cost some owners have got the Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP and been fine with it although heavy it has a good treadwear rating. Search for reviews.

Any runflat with treadwear under 200 is probably not the best choice for street driving considering the high cost of some of the tires. In fact any tire approaching $299 each is a bit steep- even more at your dealership or at a retail shop.

The Continental tires are worth a look, moderately priced and treadwear is decent. Grand touring tires will provide a little less sharp handling but more comfort for general use and longer treadlife. You'll still benefit from rotating tires and keeping the pressures up for best results.

While there are customer reviews for each tire there are no tire tests for runflats that I was able to locate- check with Alex for that, if any.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:45 PM
MiniKid05
Neutral
Awesome response! Checking out those Continental ContiSportContact 3 SSR right now. On tire rack I see both the V rated and the Z rated tires for $187. Now since I will just be doing freeway driving mainly and not really needing a Z rated tire, does the V rated or the Z rated tend to get better tread wear in general? if it is the same I was thinking I might as well go for the Z rated just because.

Last edited by MiniKid05; 06-16-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:15 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniKid05
Awesome response! Checking out those Continental ContiSportContact 3 SSR right now. On tire rack I see both the V rated and the Z rated tires for $187. Now since I will just be doing freeway driving mainly and not really needing a Z rated tire, does the V rated or the Z rated tend to get better tread wear in general? if it is the same I was thinking I might as well go for the Z rated just because.
Speed ratings are meant to allow for better heat handling when driven at higher speeds such as on a track. In this case both W and V speed rated are the same price.
see
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes....tContact+3+SSR

For street driving either tire is OK and will get about the same on treadwear. If you ever see the XL rating it is for extra load and is a stiffer sidewall usually but this doesn't apply to this size.

For speed ratings-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35
W is a higher rating than V. Both are fine for the MINI.
For this tire I think the new W tire replaces the V tire of the same size.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:00 PM
MiniKid05
Neutral
Thank you for all your advice, I just picked up a set of these W rated tires and they are on the way to my house now! much appreciated.