Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

R56 Brakes: TCE DynaPro R56 Caliper Kit Pro/Cons

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008 | 05:15 AM
Augie05
|
4th Gear
R56 Brakes: TCE DynaPro R56 Caliper Kit Pro/Cons

For a R56, what are the pros/cons of a kit like the DynaPro caliper kit listed as the first item in the below link? For example, I was recently told that this kit is hard to install due to a large amount of filing that is required to get the TCE brackets to fit the R56. Can someone confirm this?

My car is only about 4 months old and I plan to track it 2 or 3 times per year max.

The other option that I am considering is just new SS brake lines and pads.

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.co...s.pl?record=13

Thanks for your inputs.

Doug

Old 06-16-2008 | 07:57 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Doug

If you are speaking of the DP6 caliper kit for the R56 rotor you are correct as clearly stated in the Caliper kit text. I've done it and it's not "hard to do" but needed. I have planned to "maybe" produce this same caliper kit for the newer JCW rotor for R56 which is lager yet and would require less work- the caliper being further away from the spindle. However....the issue with the new JCW rotor is cost! Very costly part and hard to get at this time. *Note that installing on stock R56 rotors would only require a later bracket change to the new radius mount if moving to the larger rotors later.

For street use and enjoyable response, great looks etc. it can't be beat. But I stress again that due to limited pad compound options and no rotor change (sans later JCW upsize) the caliper kit is a more lateral move in the track day department. For more serious track use and duty cycle the bigger kits offer better value.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-16-2008 | 05:26 PM
wellzy
4th Gear
really tha r56 breaks are very good. the thing that they are lacking is iin the pads. the oem pads are about as good as a prairie biscuit. so if you want to track your car and drive it on the street i recomand going with carbotech brake pads. now there is not one pad that can do it all so you will need to a set of street pads and a set of track pads. (all there pads use the same base meteral so there is no need to turn rotor) for the street i would go with there 1521 is in the front / rear. for the track step to there xp10 front and xp8 in the back. you will find that you will stop very fast with that set up.

one more option for the street is to us there ax6 pad (auto x pad) it is what i use on my r56 and it will stop for 60 to 0 in less then 30 feet. but this pad make makes dust and nose, unlike the 1521.

i hope this helps

ctbreaks.com

Last edited by wellzy; 06-17-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-16-2008 | 05:36 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Here's a nice red on on a 12.2 rotor RSX. This is about what we'll have with the 'new' JCW rotor. But one piece, not two as shown here.

Old 06-16-2008 | 05:53 PM
wellzy
4th Gear
ok why spend an bunch a money on a bbk when the r56 has one on it already. when all you need is a better brake pad

Last edited by wellzy; 06-17-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-16-2008 | 06:27 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
For the same reason you'd remove run-flats and replace them with something else. Depending upon your definition of a BBK, there remain many tangible benefits other than appearance. Weight loss, responsiveness and feel, thermal capacity and overall duty cycle. But yes, you're correct, some folks may only want a new brake pad.

....and if you're going to promote a supplier you might want to spell it right, they'd appreciate it I'm sure.

Old 06-16-2008 | 06:50 PM
Augie05
|
4th Gear
Interesting feedback everyone..... thanks so far.

Old 06-16-2008 | 07:01 PM
lxjose9xl
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wellzy
really tha r56 breaks are very good. the thing that they are lacking is iin the pads. the oem pads are about as good as a prairie biscuit. so if you want to track your car and drive it on the street i recomand going with carbotech break pads. now there is not one pad that can do it all so you will need to a set of street pads and a set of track pads. (all there pads use the same base meteral so there is no need to turn rotor) for the street i would go with there 1521 is in the front / rear. for the track step to there xp10 front and xp8 in the back. you will find that you will stop very fast with that set up.

one more option for the street is to us there ax6 pad (auto x pad) it is what i use on my r56 and it will stop for 60 to 0 in less then 30 feet. but this pad make makes dust and nose, unlike the 1521.

i hope this helps

ctbreaks.com
Your post was "somewhat" informative until the part where you mentioned your AutoX pads stopped you from 60-0 in less than 30 feet. Only way you're gonna get that is with a parachute and a concrete wall in front of you.

Old 06-17-2008 | 06:42 AM
cct1
6th Gear
I've got the 11.75 kit on--I use BP-10's for everyday, and Poly B's for the track. I had the JCW kit before, and the Wilwood kit is significantly better. It's also VERY easy to change pads--can do both sides in a minute or two.

I never used anything but stock pads on the JCW, but the Wilwood with street pads stops much better, and more consistently than the JCW's ever did. And the Poly B's on the track are incredible--brakes are consistent from the beginning to the end of the session, and despite having "only" the 11.75 rotors, I'm the limiting factor--I still haven't hit the limits of these brakes.

If you're not tracking the car, then the stock brakes are great. But if you're a track rat, and you can afford it, the Wilwood is a great way to go.

Old 06-17-2008 | 04:16 PM
wellzy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lxjose9xl
Your post was "somewhat" informative until the part where you mentioned your AutoX pads stopped you from 60-0 in less than 30 feet. Only way you're gonna get that is with a parachute and a concrete wall in front of you.
first off it is no bs. i did the brake test to see so that i would not be blowing smoke up some ones butt. if you do not beleave me the feel free to buy a set of ax6 pads and test them for your self. or if you like i am in perry ohio and would be more then happy to meet you to prove it. also you can ask any one that was at the dragon that took a wow ride in my car they will atest to what i am saying.

i only post about what i know about and i do not like being called a lier

Old 06-17-2008 | 04:25 PM
cooper8168
4th Gear
first off it is no bs. i did the brake test to see so that i would not be blowing smoke up some ones butt. if you do not beleave me the feel free to buy a set of ax6 pads and test them for your self. or if you like i am in perry ohio and would be more then happy to meet you to prove it. also you can ask any one that was at the dragon that took a wow ride in my car they will atest to what i am saying.

i only post about what i know about and i do not like being called a lier
That's impossible.

The Ferrari Enzo stops 60-0 in 109 feet.

Old 06-17-2008 | 04:25 PM
wellzy
4th Gear
....and if you're going to promote a supplier you might want to spell it right, they'd appreciate it I'm sure.[/quote]

sorry for my miss spelling. however would you make fun a blind person becouse they stumble. well that is what you have just done to me because i am learn dissable LD for short. so if i miss spell any thing else please feel fre to pm me and i will take care of it

Old 06-17-2008 | 05:09 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
wellzy

Is there any truth to the report that you and the owners of Carbotech are good friends? I asked via PM a day ago but did not get a reply.

If this is the case then you need to let people know as it shows a bias. Much like I always state I live 5 miles from TSW World HQ everytime I write about any TSW products.

If there is no relationship between you and the owners of Carbotech then well....nevermind.

Old 06-17-2008 | 05:18 PM
bean
5th Gear
spell check works as well for those w/ LD as it does for the gifted. i'm glad that you like your brake set-up, but i, too, don't believe the claim.

Old 06-17-2008 | 05:22 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
What everyone seems to forget is the limiting factor in stopping distances is the tires. The stock breaks can stop the car just fine and changing pads and/or rotors does very little to actual stopping distances. OEM can lock the wheels just fine. Where a BBK or different pads and/or rotors come into play is in repeatability.

Old 06-17-2008 | 05:23 PM
Calaway16
3rd Gear
....and if you're going to promote a supplier you might want to spell it right, they'd appreciate it I'm sure.
sorry for my miss spelling. however would you make fun a blind person becouse they stumble. well that is what you have just done to me because i am learn dissable LD for short. so if i miss spell any thing else please feel fre to pm me and i will take care of it[/quote]

I'm sure he meant no harm. He wasn't trying to make fun of you. Just trying to make sure you give credit where credit is due.

And 60-0 IS impossible in less than 30 feet. I've never autocrossed but I got the impression you don't exceed 40 mph. I don't know, however.

As far as the brakes, I have the stock JCW (same as R56 brakes) on my 2006 and find the brakes quite inadequate for track use. If you're autocrossing, I don't know (obviously). Like everyone else has said, the TCE kit is more for looks and does not give you better pad options. As a result, it would be more worth your while to either get a larger rotor BBK or better pads and brake ducts if you're experiencing fade on the autocross circut.

Old 06-17-2008 | 05:32 PM
wellzy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bean
spell check works as well for those w/ LD as it does for the gifted. i'm glad that you like your brake set-up, but i, too, don't believe the claim.
spell check do not help words in a list all look alike. the skill used to read words in a list is called word attack. so in the end i am screwed eather way.

as for the brakes you may beleave what you like in the end it is just my opinion and what i have observed

Last edited by wellzy; 06-17-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-17-2008 | 05:53 PM
cooper8168
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gnatster
What everyone seems to forget is the limiting factor in stopping distances is the tires. The stock breaks can stop the car just fine and changing pads and/or rotors does very little to actual stopping distances. OEM can lock the wheels just fine. Where a BBK or different pads and/or rotors come into play is in repeatability.

Yeah, but even with a friction co-efficient of 1.0 or higher (typical being .75, Enzo is about .92), you still get a stopping distance 60-0 of 100 feet. Claiming 60-0 in 30 feet means he either can't measure, he needs to calibrate his tape measure , or he's fibbing.

At first I thought it was a typo, but in an earlier thread, he said he was stopping 60-0 in 25 feet.

If he said 60-0 in 90 feet, I wouldn't believe it but might give him the benefit of the doubt because that's at least in the realm of plausibility. Oh wait, I see in his sig he's got reverse thrusters and did the test on an aircraft carrier. Never mind.

Originally Posted by Calaway16
And 60-0 IS impossible in less than 30 feet. I've never autocrossed but I got the impression you don't exceed 40 mph. I don't know, however.
Really? I'd like to see proof. EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the "im" there!!

Maybe I'm completely confusing something here, and if I am, I'll tip my hat as the idiot for the day. But besides F1, the shortest stopping distance I've ever read about or seen from 60-0 is 80-something feet, and that was a motorcycle. I'm sure someone can show better examples, but not what this guy claims. Heck, the shortest stopping distance from 60-0 Edmunds has ever recorded is 100 feet.

Even if he was mistaking feet for meters, which is also semi-plausible, I still wouldn't believe it.

Last edited by cooper8168; 06-17-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-17-2008 | 06:16 PM
Calaway16
3rd Gear
I said is IMpossible. That was confusing wording. My bad. He probably was using a meterstick.

Old 06-17-2008 | 06:23 PM
cooper8168
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Calaway16
I said is IMpossible. That was confusing wording. My bad. He probably was using a meterstick.
No, my bad there - I didn't see the "im" before the "possible".

Even if he was using a meter stick, his claim of 25 feet in a previous thread is IMpossible.

Old 06-17-2008 | 06:26 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
From: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
I agree with Nate if you keep the OEM setup for track use. However my customers have found OEM rotors with the right pads work great. The right pad for the right event will work very well even repeatedly.

Yes I sell CT pads and with the new NAM rules I will not post again unless there is a new issue raised. I will not address the stopping distance you all have covered it very well. Feel free to PM me.

Play Nice

Old 06-17-2008 | 06:28 PM
Calaway16
3rd Gear
That's like homoousious and homoiousious. The two words separated the Church from heresy back in the 3rd century . Maybe too extreme an example....

Old 06-17-2008 | 06:28 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
The stopping distance is not the topic of this post. I think we can agree that the MINI is not capable of 60mph - 0 in 30 feet under any condition that would not cause bent metal.

Keep this in mind. At 60mph you are traveling at 88fps (Feet Per Second)

Assuming a deceleration rate of 32 fpsps (1g), calculations indicate a braking stop time of 2.75 seconds (88/32). Distance traveled now is calculated to be 121 feet.

See http://www.csgnetwork.com/stopdistcalc.html for all the math and theory behind the curtain.

Lets move back to the actual subject the OP started with please.

Old 06-17-2008 | 06:35 PM
cooper8168
4th Gear
Agreed. But as others have pointed out many times before, I also think bogus claims do need to be repudiated, regardless of how implausible they are.

Moving on.

Back on topic: Isn't another benefit of the Dynapro kit that you drop 20+ pounds of unsprung weight? Huge benefit, IMO.

Old 06-17-2008 | 06:46 PM
wellzy
4th Gear
wellzy

Is there any truth to the report that you and the owners of Carbotech are good friends? I asked via PM a day ago but did not get a reply.

If this is the case then you need to let people know as it shows a bias. Much like I always state I live 5 miles from TSW World HQ everytime I write about any TSW products.

If there is no relationship between you and the owners of Carbotech then well....nevermind.

I have stated before that I have had a long standing relationship with the owners of Carbotech. I have AX6 pads that I received as payment for race support. My wife runs 1521's which she paid for. I believe in the product and when ever possible I try to promote the pads. I have always and will continue to push this or any other product I believe in. I have not mislead anyone concerning Carbotech or the pads that they manufacture.

If you feel a need to clarify that you live by the TSW World HQ each time you post that is your choice. I have also promoted Outmotoring, silicone intakes and Auto X Cooper. As for your PM, I received it this evening and saw that you had posted here before I had a chance to respond.

If you have any other questions concerning my affilication please feel free to contact me and we can discuss.

BTW my wife proof read this so that no one would be distracted by my spelling.

Quick Reply: R56 Brakes: TCE DynaPro R56 Caliper Kit Pro/Cons