Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Run Flat Tires and Pressure Monitors

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Shydog
1st Gear
Location: Kaiserslautern Rheinland Pfalz (D) / Guadalajara Jalisco (MEX)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run Flat Tires and Pressure Monitors

When I return to Mexico in October, I'll be ordering a Mini and I have a few questions.

First of all, I wish to replace the tires and wheels with OZ's and Continentals which I shall order from the Tire Rack and have sent to my Uncle's house in Arizona. Not wanting to re-fit the Tire Pressure Monitoring System and not knowing how it works, can I expect a warning light in the instrument cluster? If so, how can I turn it off? Mexico gets the European version of the car if that makes a difference.

Secondly, does the optional spoiler keep the rear window cleaner? The owner of Schäfer Clubsport (who runs his cars extensively at the Nürburgring) as well as a salesman at the local BMW Handler told me it does nothing to reduce lift or drag but they could give me no figures.

Thirdly, what delivery time frame can I expect once the car is ordered? Mexico should be about the same as CDN/USA.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:48 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Shydog
When I return to Mexico in October, I'll be ordering a Mini and I have a few questions.

First of all, I wish to replace the tires and wheels with OZ's and Continentals which I shall order from the Tire Rack and have sent to my Uncle's house in Arizona. Not wanting to re-fit the Tire Pressure Monitoring System and not knowing how it works, can I expect a warning light in the instrument cluster? If so, how can I turn it off? Mexico gets the European version of the car if that makes a difference.

Secondly, does the optional spoiler keep the rear window cleaner? The owner of Schäfer Clubsport (who runs his cars extensively at the Nürburgring) as well as a salesman at the local BMW Handler told me it does nothing to reduce lift or drag but they could give me no figures.

Thirdly, what delivery time frame can I expect once the car is ordered? Mexico should be about the same as CDN/USA.
Tire pressure monitoring is for the US spec cars.

If you have a euro spec MINI then hopefully you won't get them and then you can add wheels without problems. Look at the tire valves and if they are rubber then you are fine, if metal then you likely have TPMS. If you do get TPMS then remove each one from the stock wheels and install them carefully on the aftermarket wheels. TPMS are fragile so be very careful removing them. Runflat tires are also difficult to work with- check with your tire shop.

The rear spoiler is useless and only cosmetic. My MCS gets very dirty on the rear window and boot area very quickly at any speed.

Delivery time could be about 6 to 8 weeks depending on demand in your area. longer if there are many buyers waiting for orders to be filled.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:56 AM
Shydog
1st Gear
Location: Kaiserslautern Rheinland Pfalz (D) / Guadalajara Jalisco (MEX)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the information. I appreciate your response.