Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Brake / Rotor HELP....

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:19 AM
GreenIguana
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake / Rotor HELP....

I had changed my rotors out to power slots on the front running the green pads. I had my brakes checked before MOTD this year and the mechanic siad they were fine..
I now notice my front rotors seem to have a wavy appearence to them, not flat like my rear rotors??? Is this because of pad ware?
I have not heard any squeeks etc. or any stopage issues - it just does not seem right for them to appear wavy and not flat like they were when first installed...

Any help here would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:13 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
Purely a guess but....

I'm guessing here but here's my thoughts:

a) if you aren't feeling any pulsing then it is unlikely you have warpage.

b) since the fronts do the most braking, you may just be seeing typical wear pattern for these rotors and the rears haven't reached that point yet. Do you have greens (I guess you mean EBC greens) on the rear too? EBC may be a bit more aggressive than the stock pads (some say A LOT more) Either way, if you replaced front and rear just b4 MOTD, the rears may not be worn thru the protective coating yet!

c) You COULD go to a brake shop and ask them to put a dial on the wheels and check the rotor runout.....
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=41467
if the shop has no idea what we're talking about, find a better shop....
to help you address your brake wear question....

Old 06-26-2008, 04:53 PM
wellzy
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GreenIguana
I had changed my rotors out to power slots on the front running the green pads. I had my brakes checked before MOTD this year and the mechanic siad they were fine..
I now notice my front rotors seem to have a wavy appearence to them, not flat like my rear rotors??? Is this because of pad ware?
I have not heard any squeeks etc. or any stopage issues - it just does not seem right for them to appear wavy and not flat like they were when first installed...

Any help here would be much appreciated.
gau
Cheers.
first off green stuff pads have iron and or steel power in them. have you ever sceen what happens when steel rubs together? it starts to tear and it is called gauling. now on a brake pad rotor interface it happens on a micro level and this is why in would say your rotors are groved.