Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

One Run Flat or 4 non

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 07:13 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One Run Flat or 4 non

First, the scenario. I have one tire with maybe 10 percent tread (my own conservative estimate) and one with probably 90 percent (replaced in November due to screw in side wall). These are both on the same side (passenger) and just moved the newer one to the front (should have done it much sooner it looks like). The driver side are both about 50 percent tread.

I know I probably should replace the almost bald one but money is tight.

Second, the question - got two scenarios:

1. replace the almost bald with the same 17inch goodyear runflat with a new one put on the front and put the lesser of the two driver side tires on the passenger rear. cost - a little over $300.

-or-

2. get a set of four non-run flat for all tires for probably around $400. (would like recommendations).

Welcoming suggestions on these two options or one that I haven't thought about. TIA.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:33 AM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless you can find a good deal on the NAM marketplace, I would consider replacing all four with non-runflats. That is unless you really just prefer to have runflat tires. It would be a real drag to wind up with another tire damaged beyond repair, only to find yourself back in this situation again.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:44 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
When you have to replace one of four tires.

Put the new tire on the rear and put the worn tires on the front.
This is to allow for less risk of hydroplaning during wet conditions.
A worn rear tire is much more prone to hydroplaning in the wet, while the front usually do better. Watch you speeds in the wet as well.

Front tires wear faster, keep tire pressure up and rotate them if you can every 4000 miles.

Replacing all four tires doesn´t have to be as costly as you think. Ride quality and handling usually is better.

Shop at edgeracing.com and look at stock tire sizes-
205/45-17
Consider Ultra High Performance All Season tires like
Falken Ze-912

Or contact Alex at tirerack.com and look for all season tires in the size you want. Shipping is not bad and you can mount them locally. Tirerack has a list of shops.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:09 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change to run conventional tires. It is one of the best things I did after my wife broke run flat tires on two different occassions. My auto drives and rides like a different auto and is much more enjoyable. My new tires are Falken 215/45ZR17 and I love them. (I got them on-line from The Tire Rack)

You'll like these tires, too, I am sure.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:37 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Since your runflats are one tire at 90%, 2 at 50% and one at 10% it doesn´t really make that much sense to keep them. Sell the one at 90% tread.

All in 205/45-17 and non runflat

If you look at edgeracing.com
Consider the Falken Ze-912 is a good street tire for $76 each 360 treadwear
see
http://edgeracing.com/tire/5560/
It is Ultra HP All Season. Wears well.

If you look at tirerack.com
Consider General Exclaim UHP
Ultra High Performance Summer tire $82 each 380 treadwear
or
Kumho Ecsta AST $72 each 400 treadwear
High Performance All Season tire
and many other tires to pick from about $102 to 108 each.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Can we assume that you are looking for greater tire life and not maximum traction? If so, you can just about buy 3 conventional tires for the price of one runflat. Plus they will give you double the tread life, depending upon which tire you choose, especially compared to the Goodyears which seem to have a poor reputation.

You can carry a bottle of "Slime" and a small 12VDC compressor to take care of minor leaks. Membership in AAA isn't a bad idea either.

I have been running conventional tires for 6 years and have never regretted the decision.

If you are concerned about fuel mileage do not "plus" size the tires. Stick with the stock size. Wider tires use more energy to turn and will decrease your mileage. Monitoring the pressure will help the mileage and treadwear. Rotate the tires regularly, every 3,000 - 5,000 miles.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:44 AM
CDMINI
5th Gear
I am always it seems in the minority, must be my irrascible nature, BUT I like the RF's, especially after my wife drove herself 30 miles or so back and forth to work without noticing the tire sensor symbol had come on. I missed the chance to get the free $200 GPS from Tire Rack by buying 4 conti RF's for $500, but I also wanted wheels and the wife vetoed the new wheels at the time and the offer expired. I will probably try the contis anyhow though at $500 for a set. I know how to plug tires and do it all the time. I don't understand why anyone would use the "slime" when they can plug a tire and go on it for the life of the tire, if the repair is in a decent spot and there is no sidewall damage.