Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Question:15"to 17"

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 05:33 AM
Rvanvoris
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question:15"to 17"

does anyone know if there are any problems putting on 17" S-Lites from a '06 onto a '08 Clubman. The Clubman currently has the 15" Standard wheel and tires?
Should I bring them to a tire shop and have the tires mounted and balanced?
Thanks
Rvan

Old 07-01-2008, 11:23 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Rvanvoris
does anyone know if there are any problems putting on 17" S-Lites from a '06 onto a '08 Clubman. The Clubman currently has the 15" Standard wheel and tires?
Should I bring them to a tire shop and have the tires mounted and balanced?
Thanks
Rvan
Moving to 17" S-lytes should be OK. The wheels are very heavy compared to the stock 15" wheels and tires. 17" runflats are very rough riding vs the stock 15" tires.

TPMS will be missing from the S-lytes so you have to transfer them on each wheel from the stock clubman wheels to the S-lytes and reset TPMS. Otherwise the dash light for TPMS will remain on, no harm with that but to put the light off you need to reset TPMS with the TPMS valves installed on the wheels you want to use.

If you remove the TPMS from the stock 15" rims watch out not to damage them and when reinstalled on the S-lytes becareful with installing TPMS.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:47 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'll add that putting 17" s-lites will hurt performance. Lighter is better.

The TPMS seems like a lot of hastle for something you should be checking yourself.
It is safe to assume that those TPMS sensors are expensive too, so have the tire shop be extra careful or agree to replace them if they break one on install.