Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tire options for 16" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:33 PM
hificanuck
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire options for 16" wheels

I know there's lots of threads on tires but maybe a few can chime in here and help me make some sort of decision.
I've got some aftermarket wheels coming for my '05 MCS and I'm looking for some tires to go on them. The rim size is 16".
The installer is recommending some Yokohama EVS100's which look nice but I realise it is a summer only tire. I'm not dismissing this tire but need to know a couple of things first.
I don't track the car, but like to drive somewhat "sporty" .
I wouldn't mind something that can take the cooler weather in Canadian spring and fall. Car doesn't get driven in snow, but may get caught early season.
I like the quick response of the steering with runflats. Is there a tire with a stiffer sidewall but maybe not quite as bad as a runflat? How do I look at the specs to tell?

Lookin' forward to new tires

Old 07-08-2008, 11:48 AM
mansize
3rd Gear
Stiff sidewall is a very subjective thing, nothing turns in quite like a runflat, but they do have some ride issues...
I have experience with the AVSES100's on another (non-MINI) car, they have been decent, but would I buy again? Maybe not.
Currently run the Toyo T1R's on the MINI, they are great, would definitely buy those again, but they are also summer type.
May want to consider the Toyo Proxes 4, an aggressive all-season type, available in the more common size of 205/50R16. Also check out the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S.
If preferring an all-season type, better to look at the manufacturers top performance offerings to maximize the steering response.
Shameless plug time : I have a set of the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 all-season runflats that came stock on the MCS, low miles, never plugged or patched, PM if interested.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:02 PM
hificanuck
2nd Gear
Thanks mansize!
Sadly my runflats are brand new (well maybe 2K) and I just dont' like the ride so they gotta go. No worries on the plug, it's a forum after all .
As far as the Yoko's go I probably won't go with them as they are now disco'd and I'd hate to find replacements.
I'm blown away by the costs of tires in Canada as compared to the online US distributers. 2 to 3 times the cost, but good luck finding an installer that won't be ticked off you didn't buy from them! Those Yoko's were over $225 a corner and the new S.Drives are $275 yeouch!!! I was however quoted a really good price on some Michelin's so I'll research them a bit. If all doesn't pan out, there is always the UHP Generals from Canadian Tire which come well recommended (summer only) I think they are 4 for the price of 3 this weekend....
Cheers

Old 07-08-2008, 08:08 PM
ED955S
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Look at the load rating when chosing non RF. The higher the better and the closer on how it feels vs your stiff RF.

When my RF 17s will wear out, I'll cross the border. I saved $ 135 total in my Honda. You're right, everyhting is expensive here in Canada.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:00 PM
hificanuck
2nd Gear
Actually ED955S, in BC there is always 1010tires or TireTrends, whose prices are still a lot less than retailers here in Cowtown.
So I've noticed that most of the UHP's are an "87" load rating followed by their speed rating, but the Michelin Primacy is rated at "97". Does this constitute a stiffer sidewall?
Thanks for your response.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:08 AM
Dinan604
3rd Gear
Generally it's a stiffer sidewall, but if differs from manufacturer to manufacturer. FWIW, Michelin Primacy's aren't a very good tire for spirited driving.

I've been caught in a light snow fall in Vancouver once in the A4 with Falken 452 summers, and for about 10 minutes, it was ok.....after that...they were useless. Funny thing was I was on my way to my parent's place to pick up and install my snow tires.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:58 PM
dbsanford
2nd Gear
Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S

Since taking off my original Goodyear run flats I've been searching for the right tire. I've tried about four different tires, Michelins and Conti's including the GY's. I agree with the comment on the Michelin Primacy--great on my heavy Mercedes 500SL but not right for the Mini. I've settled on the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S--top rated high performance A/S tire on tire rack. They handle well with good steering response, ride smooth and have great traction like a summer tire and reasonably priced. I'm very pleased with them as a good riding and handling compromise.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:12 PM
hificanuck
2nd Gear
Yeah, I liked the look of the Exalto's as well but they were a little pricey for me right now.
I did make a decision today and I hope they will fare well. I got a good price on some BFGoodrich G-Force Super Sport A/S so I decided that I'd give 'em a try. If I'm not happy I'll try the General UHP's as they are really cheap right now.
Problem here is that winter's can last from Nov. to March with cooler weather beginning in Oct. and ending in May. I hated to spend huge money on a summer that will perform optimally for 3 months of the year and possibly sketchy for the other 4 then parked for winter (talk about a babied car ). The BF's look like something I can leave on year round and offer a bit of performance for daily commuting. The car is never tracked or autoX so a real performance tire is not necessary.
I'll respond to this thread with my summation of how they work out. Thanks for all of the replies...

Old 07-10-2008, 05:18 PM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
i have general exclaim uhp's on my mcs riding on 16" kosei k-1 racings. these tires are cheap and great! it's probably the best tire deal. and they ride pretty well, too. i've never had experience in snow or anything but i've heard they do ok. pretty sure you can leave 'em on year round

Old 07-10-2008, 06:36 PM
TerryD
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....t+Z1+Star+Spec
I just installed a set of these on my new 08. They look great and ride well. I only have a few miles on them on back roads, and am pleased with grip so far.